Am I the only one who thought it was a penalty, albeit a very soft one? Whittaker had his hands above his head. Everyone knows these days that you can't do that. The only dubious bit is where the ball actually struck him. Real-time it looked like it struck his arm so that's probably why the linesman gave it. From the replays it looked soft but still a penalty. Whittaker definately shouldn't have been sent off but that means he'll miss the game in a years time! :eek:

If it happened against Rangers I'd be shouting for a penalty. His arm was up in the air and the ball hitting it prevented the cross from going in. Can't blame the officials for giving it.

That was about as well as we could have expected to play last night. Makes a mockery of the Czech performance as others have said. As for Levein's performance post-match - I didn't see it myself but I suspect that if his card wasn't marked before, it certainly is now. If we get a going over in this Celtic Cup thing next year, I reckon it'll be curtains for him - and there wont be many who feel sorry for him

TBH I'm just wondering when the "Walter Smith for Scotland" campaign will start again if he does retire from The Gers after this season.

Never say never. You would imagine the part-time/semi-retired nature of the role would suit him at this stage in his life!

Never say never. Considering we need 3 wins v Czech, Lithuania and Liechtenstein and maybe even a point in Spain then there would be no better man that WS to get us over the final hurdles. A master class away to Spain aka what we did at Old trafford! The biggest pressure is to get Scotland to a tournament again.

Personally Im not sure WS would go for it, although he may feel he has a wee bit of unfinished business with the national team. But Id actually prefer him to sign on at Ibrox for another year.

I'm sure Pat Nevin blamed Whittaker for two Spain goals last night, so I'm guessing that was probably a sign of things to come today.

To be honest to Nevin I think he said the third was the same as the Whittaker goal and not that it was his fault. He meant that McManus missed the flight of the ball as Whittaker did.

As for the penalty i am sure the rules say for ball to hand your hand has to be in a natural position. Whittakers was most certainly not so a penalty for me.

Pete, his hand was way above his head, a clear penalty. Unlucky to get booked for it, but then was lucky not to get booked for an earlier tackle. Also, he was at fault for their third, McManus was attacking the ball, he should have been tucking in onto llorente. I like Whittaker, but these last two games have showed that he's not a left back. Mcgregor was outstanding and I thought bardsley did pretty well.

As for levein's interview, he's speaking to the fans not an interviewer. It was a legitimate question, he shouldve answered it rather than throwing a strop.

Whittaker just reacted to the ball coming towards his face but I don't think it was intentional and was a soft pen and booking IMO. Some are given some are not depends on the linesman/ref but unfortunatley this time it was given. But he does dive in a lot and I agree he is not a left back.

McManus was mainly to blame for the winner, totally misjudged the flight of the ball and jump and knew that straight way by his reaction, very poor.

Pete, his hand was way above his head, a clear penalty. Unlucky to get booked for it, but then was lucky not to get booked for an earlier tackle. Also, he was at fault for their third, McManus was attacking the ball, he should have been tucking in onto llorente. I like Whittaker, but these last two games have showed that he's not a left back. Mcgregor was outstanding and I thought bardsley did pretty well.

As for levein's interview, he's speaking to the fans not an interviewer. It was a legitimate question, he shouldve answered it rather than throwing a strop.

Absolutely NO WAY was that 3rd goal Whittaker's fault. How you come to that conslusion is beyond me.

McManus very, very clearly misjudged the flight of the ball. Weir had covered the front post runner and Llorente was McManus's player to mark.

McManus had TEN yards of clear space in front of him and knew no-one was pushing in front for Spain. To get himself caught attacking a ball he didnt need to attack and then also getting caught under it was criminal. He had so much space in front of him he actually had time to hold his ground, control the ball on his chest and clear it - wouldnt ever advise it right enough but he did have time for that, that is how bad his error was. Had no-one near him (even Llorente was a couple of yards behind him) so had no reason to attack the ball so aggressively - he misjudged that cross as badly as I have seen anyone misjudge it for a long time.

To then blame Whittaker for the goal is incredulous. Sorry juff but I have no clue how you get to that conclusion. Whittake, even if he were playing tighter to Llorente, would have been thinking "McManus has that, no-one near him - time to turn and get upfield".

At best, Whittaker should have been closer in behind Llorente but even if he was the best he was going to get was to give away another penalty.

I'm convinced that if Walter told an interviewer not to keep asking the same question in slightly different words we would all be backing him. For those who say Smith would not, though, have walked out should also accept that the press would most likely show him more respect and not ask the same question 3 times when being asked not too and when the game it refers to has already been done to death.

I still, also, don't accept that it was a useful, valid or worthwhile question. Just trying to make the manager look silly and get him to admit a mistake. What does that achieve?