Here we go again, let's condemn ourselves

Here's a Scottish Parliament statement on the Government's strategy for tackling sectarianism from a year ago -

"Fergus Ewing (Scottish National Party)

I am delighted to make this statement on the Government's strategy for tackling sectarianism, which is an issue of concern for everyone in the chamber.

For too long, sectarianism has plagued the lives of too many. We must eradicate it once and for all. In the past, sectarianism was the elephant in the room; we did not want to face up to the bigotry in some of our communities. In 2004, the previous Administration called time on sectarianism. It was time for communities, organisations and individuals to face up to sectarianism and to challenge it. The Government acknowledges the work of Jack McConnell and his Administration in taking that bold step to tackle sectarianism. There is no doubt that progress has been made. Sectarianism is not as prominent as it was when I grew up, but it is still part of the backdrop to Scottish life.

Our strategy is based on funding key projects and bringing together co-ordinated partnerships of organisations to deliver a spectrum of work in communities, the workplace and the courts. We are funding Nil by Mouth to tackle sectarianism in the workplace and to deliver a project supported by the Scottish Trades Union Congress; sense over sectarianism to work in communities; and Show Racism the Red Card to develop work to tackle sectarianism. Last December I launched the anti-sectarianism education resource that we funded YouthLink Scotland to develop. The Iona Community adapted that resource for inmates at Polmont young offenders institution. When I visited Polmont, I was so impressed that I asked the Iona Community to work in partnership with us to look at developing the resource for adult prisons.

By working in partnership, we can eradicate duplication of effort and ensure that our work is co-ordinated, focused and effective. The working group on racial and religious intolerance brings together the voluntary sector and non-governmental organisations. The football banning orders monitoring group, which I chair, brings together the football banning order manager, the Crown Office, the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland and the Scottish Football Association to ensure that banning orders are used effectively. The promoting citizenship through football partnership, which is chaired by SFA chief executive Gordon Smith, brings together the Scottish Government, sportscotland, the SFA, the Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Football League and ACPOS to look at how football can help to tackle societal problems, including sectarianism.

Although football is sometimes where sectarianism raises its ugly head, it also provides a vital lead in getting the anti-sectarian message across. Clubs at all levels are engaged with their communities. I am grateful to them for the work they do, including through the old firm alliance anti-sectarian education programme.

Alongside that good work, we have penalties in place for individuals who indulge in sectarian behaviour. Football banning orders deny bigots who indulge in abusive behaviour access to football matches. The FBO monitoring group is tasked with ensuring that those orders are used effectively. We will press for a banning order to be sought on every occasion that sectarian abuse, violence or disorder occurs. The Solicitor General for Scotland has confirmed that a Crown Office circular has been issued to ensure that deputes are proactive in bringing the possibility of a banning order to the attention of sheriffs. I am sure that all of us welcome that move.

As banning orders have been in place for three years, it is time for us to take stock to ensure that we are doing everything that we can to tackle the violence and abusive behaviour that sometimes mar our national sport. I will, therefore, ask the monitoring group to carry out an evaluation and to report in winter 2010.

Scotland has many marches and parades every year. Although the vast majority of them pass without incident, a minority can be the cause of public disorder and other forms of antisocial behaviour. The right to public assembly is fundamental, but the communities through which marches pass also have rights. Since the 2006 statement on tackling abusive behaviour at marches and parades, the number of marches has changed little. I call on the organisers to consider the impact and disruption that marches can cause. I will invite the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities, ACPOS and the STUC to work with me to look at the 2006 statement again to see how it can be used at a local level to ensure that all parties are working together for the good of all communities.

Education is another area that we continue to drive forward, and I am delighted that Learning and Teaching Scotland will refresh the "sectarianism: don't give it don't take it" resource to ensure that it is fully aligned with the new curriculum. I commend that resource to all schools.

I have seen the great work that is being done through art, drama and poetry to embed in young people the message that sectarianism has no place in Scotland. Many projects have been the basis on which schools have been twinned, and I have been impressed by the creativity and drive of the teachers who have developed such initiatives.

Our strategy is to work in partnership with people at the coalface. Working together, we will co-ordinate and maximise our efforts through our partnership groups; ensure that resources are up to date and fit for purpose; and ensure that the penalties for sectarian behaviour are used appropriately, and that we take action when they are not.

Sectarianism has blighted Scotland for too long. It will take a co-ordinated and concerted effort to achieve what we all want: a Scotland where sectarianism is unknown, and a Scotland that recognises and celebrates the fact that being one Scotland of many cultures and faiths makes us a better and stronger nation."

No mention of RC schools. So much for facing up to the "elephant in the room".

While the RC Church insists on separating their children from children of other faiths at the age of 5, the differences will continue to be emphasised and the conditions that promote sectarianism will continue to flourish.

Don't think you actually read me right mate. You've come across as if you still want to try and do something about this, so I've made a suggestion as to what I think could still be done. I didn't say I thought it would or could be successful.

It's the Scottish Government that's at the top of the hierarchy for dictating and dealing with sectarianism laws, projects and initiatives in this country, not UEFA. In actual fact, I personally believe that it was specific members of the Scottish Government (or a small group of them) who persuaded UEFA to do what they did to us. Sound plausible? Yeah, I think so too.

I mean no disrespect either mate, but you failed to make a difference whether you've got a t-shirt or not. I don't think my suggestion would make a difference either no matter how well done such a project was & no matter how many people turned up at the protests, but you asked me if I'd take the discussion forward and I came back to you with what I think is a suggestion for the only chance that's left - a well coordinated campaign that's targeted in the right direction. It would most likely fail, but would also generate a serious amount of interest and publicity.

And the reason why I failed to make a difference was because of support mate.

Their are chances left but as bmck said we have missed the boat.

I am encouraged however by your now pro active support.

Cheers mate.

Before condemning ourselves or anyone else, why don't we have the club publish in full the decision from UEFA, the decision in full as to what we are allegedly banned from singing, having said that I don't think the club would publish anything, because nothing exists banning us from singing anything.

If it did they wouldn't keep giving out warnings of their own, they would have published the mysterious UEFA ruling long ago.

Don't think you actually read me right, I did take the fight to uefa in the first instance not the club, but you do raise a few points namely why you and people on not just this site but others who make statements on websites and don't actually do anything of relevance.

That was your choosing then and probably your choice now as it for people to make their own choice.

I choose to try to make sure that these people were aware of the "Full Picture" and to try my best to stand up for what I believed in,

but ultimately I fell down due to lack of support from the rangers supporters, the so called supporters groups who were secretly, IMO,

in collusion with murray, and the kid on PR dept whom were ultimately being directed from the powers at Ibrox.

Thanks for the info on the of what I can do and who to contact, but, and I mean no disrespect mate, I have the T Shirt.

I've also bought the t-shirt in this case having put together a report a few years back detailing the sham that is the anti-sectarianism industry in this country. I can understand your frustration with regard to the supporters groups in this issue because I had put this together shortly before I resigned from the Trust and still expected them to release/support it even after the debacle there. Unfortunately they chose to kick it into the long grass so I released it as a Gersnet project instead.

I'd like to see the report revisited and improved now the debate appears to be being given too much air-time again.

Article on report here:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/archived/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=670&Itemid=54

Full report available here:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/reports/SIFworkinggroup.pdf

The UEFA Directive is available on the Assembly's website.

http://www.thebluenose.co.uk/assembly/uefa-directive/

Of course it is up to the individual supporter whether or not to take this as genuine. I do believe it is but I also don't believe UEFA would enforce it.

That may be a lot of things Frankie, one thing it isn't is a directive from Uefa, since Minty allegedly had an official directive in his waving hand, why doesn't he publish it complete with UEFA official heading and signatory. It is like when we were told by the RSA after the hibs game, that Ellis had proved funding to Minty and AJ, only he hadn't.

That may be a lot of things Frankie, one thing it isn't is a directive from Uefa, since Minty allegedly had an official directive in his waving hand, why doesn't he publish it complete with UEFA official heading and signatory. It is like when we were told by the RSA after the hibs game, that Ellis had proved funding to Minty and AJ, only he hadn't.

I agree that the club should publish the directive in its entirety to remove the uncertainty surrounding this issue.

As a support we're not going the right way about tackling the issue in a constructive manner imo, but that's no surprise given how fractured our support is. I don't see what other option Bain has in his position, but there's obviously a raft of other issues that need to be addressed here. I think we're all agreed that one of the top priorities for any potential new owner is to stand up for the club and it's fans in all outlets of the media, football authorities and the public perception etc.

There's so many mixed messages coming out of our club (or not) just now that it only confirms to me SDM has long lost interest and just wants to keep as low a profile as possible both personally and for the club so he can get shot of it.

Ok have to admit i have not read this whole thread but this is my views.

I agree Rangers seem to be getting singled out here, but i cant understand fans that say fuck it i will sing no matter what. I want the club to stick up for the fans more but these so called fans that just say i will always sing certain songs no matter what are just going to hurt the club.

I agree that the club should publish the directive in its entirety to remove the uncertainty surrounding this issue.

Remember when the supporters group came out of the meeting with murray and we were told directly that it was banned, I asked "him" to show me

the letter and I'm still waiting, well I'm not really cause I cannae be arsed with him and all his cronies anymore.

Started to try a few different angles to get to uefa , but a waste of time as they would just direct me towards murray.

And a few yours in football quotes.

Arsebandits the lot of them.