I think UEFA need to take the German fan owned model and then have some arbitrary rule such as: only gate and membership money are allowed to be spent on players fees and wages with caps on tickets and fees. That would create a sustainable and much more balanced, world of football - of course it would be very good for Rangers.

A very reasonable way of looking at the financial side of it but clubs will always be creative with their accounts.

I wonder just how strict these new UEFA Financial Fair Play rules will actually be. Perhaps one of our resident bean-counters would be so kind as to have a look over them and report back in article form... :whistle:

Aston Villa are looking to reduce their wage bill after revealing losses of �£37.6m for the year ending 31 May 2010.

Wages at the club increased by �£9m to almost �£80m and now account for 88% of Villa's �£90m turnover, which actually increased last season by �£6m.

This included �£52m from television revenue while matchday turnover was �£24m and commercial income �£14.4m.

The rise in turnover lifted Villa into Europe's top 20 earning clubs for the first time.

The loss last season was �£9m less than the previous campaign but owner Randy Lerner provided �£12.5m during the campaign from a new share issue and a further �£12.5m in loan notes.

He also funded the �£23.5m purchase of Darren Bent during the January 2011 transfer window.

The American has invested more than �£200m in equity and loan notes since taking charge at Villa Park in 2006 - and the club will need to reduce its reliance on Lerner if they are to comply with Uefa's financial fair play regulations.

For everyone that wants us in the premiership please note

At this particular moment in time even an office junior taking over would be better than David the grape Murray. At least she\he would be on the job.

Agree with everything BD and MF said but we have to live in hope that Whyte has the club at heart. We the fans must keep a better watch on what is going on with our club and be far more vocal when we suspect things are not in the best interests of the club. We must never let the Murray debt ever happen again. Living within our means, means we cannot be buying 20million pound players and we the fans also have to accept that.

There's nothing 'sad' about acknowledging the fact that Rangers is a business as well as a football club ... or properly assessing how that business is run .... any more than it's sad to assess the effectiveness of a player's ability to pass a ball more than 10 yards. A business is a financial operation first and foremost, any other view simply shows a lack of understanding. Inevitably, it has to be judged on the financial results it achieves. To that extent, we shouldn't confuse our assessment of a business by daft emotional tags. It's neither sad or happy or even melancholic.

Rangers as a business is a mess however you assess it. It isn't a mess because David Murray is a self-obsessed bastard with no roots in our Rangers heritage, it's a mess because he made some extremely poor business decisions. On the other hand, Rangers as a community is equally divided and rudderless - that's not David Murray's fault but has arisen because too many Rangers people decided to sell out 120 years of history and buy into a dream that was dead before it was born.

At this particular moment in time even an office junior taking over would be better than David the grape Murray. At least she\he would be on the job.

Agree with everything BD and MF said but we have to live in hope that Whyte has the club at heart. We the fans must keep a better watch on what is going on with our club and be far more vocal when we suspect things are not in the best interests of the club. We must never let the Murray debt ever happen again. Living within our means, means we cannot be buying 20million pound players and we the fans also have to accept that.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking an unduly negative view of Criag Whyte (can't say the same for Ellis) ..... it's just that I've seen nothing from him yet to suggest he will be any different to David Murray. He may be entirely different but we should acknowledge that only when we see it.

Absolutely right. I've never felt comfortable with this 'guarantee' of �£5m per annum from Whyte/Ellis. It smacks of Murrayesque 'and I'll spend ten pounds' nonsense to get the fans onside. How exactly will this guarantee be expressed - will they be lodging the money on acquisition? Of course not. Haven't we had enough of this flybynightery, or are Rangers fans still hungry for more bullshit?

Agreed.

It just doesn't sound like someone who has a good handle on what our club needs, and the finances involved with it. If they are going to stick some working capital into the club then great, but they can't ring-fence it for transfers, and by coming out with these claims also makes me feel uncomfortable.

But was the guarantee not a condition supposedly imposed by SDM ? Could it be that Whyte (& Ellis) agree to that condition to ensure the takeover happens, whilst still recognising that there is a need to completely overhaul the operations of the club to ensure long-term sustainability ?

I guess what I am saying is could it be that Whyte sees this 25M guarantee (5M per season for 5 season) as simply a cost of the purchase of the club and that he has funds in excess of that which he would be looking to use for the working capital of the club and to undertake that overhaul ?

But was the guarantee not a condition supposedly imposed by SDM ? Could it be that Whyte (& Ellis) agree to that condition to ensure the takeover happens, whilst still recognising that there is a need to completely overhaul the operations of the club to ensure long-term sustainability ?

I guess what I am saying is could it be that Whyte sees this 25M guarantee (5M per season for 5 season) as simply a cost of the purchase of the club and that he has funds in excess of that which he would be looking to use for the working capital of the club and to undertake that overhaul ?

Truth is we'll have to wait and see I suppose .... wait and see if any sharesale ever takes place, then wait and see if we have a business leader or just another blowhard with a mirror.