mcgregor would love a new contract/ SPL Player of the Month

I don't think he's asking to be automatic number 1 at all. He's annoyed (as far as I know) about the way he's been overlooked in the past whenever our number 1 has been injured. We've always gone out and brought a more experienced guy in, rather than giving him a chance.

I don't see a problem with his attitude tbh and its pretty much the same reason we lost Smith.

Allan McGregor has revealed that he would sign a new deal at Rangers if manager Paul Le Guen indicates he will be a first-team regular at Ibrox.

Keeper McGregor has taken advantage of injuries to Lionel Letizi and Stefan Klos to take a prominent role, with his efforts in the last month earning him the Bank of Scotland Young Player of the Month award for September.

Klos and Letizi are close to full fitness and McGregor is aware he could find himself down the pecking order once again.

Such a scenario would likely prompt the 24-year-old to move on, but a glimmer of hope could persuade him to stay on in Glasgow.

"If things do not work out here, I can go for nothing in the summer, so I have to put myself in the shop window," said McGregor. "Hopefully, I have done enough to catch someone's eye.

"Of course, I would consider staying if I was told I would be number one.

"It is a massive club and I have been here for many years - I would be delighted if that happened.

"Hopefully, I have given the manager a selection headache.

"I have just tried to be consistent and take it game by game, but I have been pleased with my performances.

"I am the wrong man to ask whether I will stay in the side though."

I think McGregor deserves to stay in the team, but i think he has now done a stupid thing by trying to blackmail le Guen in the press. He should have let his performances do the talking and let him keep his place, not stupid threats of leaving.

I think McGregor deserves to stay in the team, but i think he has now done a stupid thing by trying to blackmail le Guen in the press. He should have let his performances do the talking and let him keep his place, not stupid threats of leaving.

I dont think he made a stupid threat though Pete. All he did was say that hopefully his performances would put him in the shop window if he didnt get some kind of commitment from the club.

You can call it a threat but it could equally be argued that he was saying he is confident that he is the best keeper at the club and that if he shows it and keeps his place in the team then he would be delighted to stay (OK, he didn't say it quite like that but it could be what he actually meant......).

Two ways of looking at what he said IMO - you either think he tried to threaten PLG or you can look at it as him saying he is the best at the club and deserves his chance.

I think his attitude is fine. He's been waiting in the wings for many years now and he's right, this is the time he really needs to be breaking into first team football. Hopefully he can do it at Rangers, otherwise he'll need to look elsewhere.

To be fair to him, I don't rate Letizi at all and if McGregor can't knock him out the team then there's not much else he can do at Rangers.

He's asking a bit much, Woods and Goram had to fight it out for no 1 as did Charbonnier and Klos. Niemi wasn't guaranteed a game and niether was Ginsburg nor Schnelders.

Indeed Klos is still here, as is a very experienced former PSG keeper. No-one should walk into the Rangers first team.

What makes MacGregor think he is different from former Scotland, England, France, Germany, Finland, Netherlands and Israeli number 1's?

However, I think managers should be a bit better at allowing real competition for places. The best man at the time should get the starting place and if he does well enough he should keep his place.

I think MacGregor has done enough to warrant keeping his place but there is no way he can tell any manager of note, who he should pick in his team.

PS I think it's this attitude that has stalled his career previously at Ibrox. If he'd shut his mouth and worked hard and showed commitment, he'd probably be well in contention for the keeper shirt by now, especially with Klos's injuries.

I'm sure he's been in trouble with Eck and even Dick about his attitude before.

Wanting something and demanding it are two different things. Being disappointed and going in a huff are also different.

I think the guy is an idiot if he thinks he can tell PLG that he must be picked. Klos can't do that and he's won the champions league and has caps for Germany as well as being a Rangers legend. What's MacGregor done to show he deserves it more than Klos?

Letizi is obviously a filler for a year or so, all MacGregor needs to do is show what he can do on the park and bide his time while acting like the consumate professional - unless he'd prefer to be first choice for Dunfermline for the rest of his career. Who does Graeme Smith play for again? Motherwell?