Rangers threw away title the day Kenny flew to Turkey

THEY say the SPL title is priceless - but it's not.

Rangers sold it for �£400,000.

A measly amount of money and God knows why they thought it was worth it.

But the second they accepted the cash for Kenny Miller their championship chances went spinning down the stank.

When Celtic lift the trophy, and they WILL, the grasping money-men at Ibrox will only have themselves to blame.

Manager Walter Smith - a picture of frustration so often in his farewell season - will have had his hands tied on that deal, I'm pretty sure. If it had been down to him he'd have kept the on-form striker.

Kenny boarded that flight to Turkey three months ago and is STILL the SPL's top scorer!

Yet Miller was allowed to go - and when he flew out for Bursaspor on that cold January morning Rangers' league chances went with him.

I tipped Smith's side at the start of the season.

But not any more.

There's now nothing to stop my wee pal Neil Lennon winning his first title.

Sure, it'll be a close run-in.

But it's in my old club's hands now and I firmly believe they will NOT let it slip away.

This week I've had a studied look at the games ahead for both sides and I do expect a few nervy ones between now and Sunday, May 15.

But Celtic have more than enough in the tank to get them across the finishing line.

Dundee United at home this weekend won't be a problem in my eyes. Peter Houston has a decent side there but nothing to worry anyone at Parkhead.

No, for me Inverness Caley Thistle away is the tricky one.

That's a tough place to go at the best of times. At this stage in the season, on a midweek when you really need to win, it's hellish.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Terry Butcher puts out a side good enough to get something. He'll love that too. That's why I fancy a 1-1 draw. Then it's away games against Kilmarnock and Hearts.

From what I saw the last time at Rugby Park, Celtic have absolutely nothing to worry about. There's no way on God's earth Killie will take anything.

Hearts at Tynecastle will require a lot more graft because their fans will be desperate to put a spanner in the works.

They'd see that as a major achievement but for me that's when one of Celtic's big hitters will stand up and be counted.

I expect someone like Gary Hooper or Kris Commons to nick a goal with a moment of magic. I say 1-0 Celtic. Pivotal.

The final game is Motherwell at home and a chance to exorcise some of the ghosts that have haunted me since 2005. I played the day Scott McDonald scored twice to hand the title to Rangers and it was my worst day in football.

It won't happen again.

So Celtic will end up with 93 points by my calculations.

Rangers will beat Well at Fir Park today - Stuart McCall's side will now have one eye on the Scottish Cup Final against the Hoops on May 21. This time 2-1 Rangers is my prediction.

Hearts at home is where Smith's side will fall down.

I can see Jim Jefferies' Jambos leaving with a point at least - Rangers' title chances GONE with two games to go. I don't think there's anything stopping them from beating Dundee United and Kilmarnock.

But 91 points is the best they can hope for.

And you know what? No one at Rangers could argue.

Celtic, for me, have been the best side in the country for most of the season and deserve to be crowned champs.

I think they realised they were better than Rangers when they played them at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup.

They went down to ten men but still dominated the second half in the 2-2 draw.

Celtic must have come away thinking: 'We have nothing to fear with this lot. They're not the force we thought they were'. And the truth is that's the way it's turned out.

Rangers had their chances and they've been unlucky for a lot of the season.

Losing Lee McCulloch through injury was a massive blow because he held them together in the middle.

Selling Miller? MADNESS.

Look, truly big clubs don't sell their big players when they're battling for silverware and I said at the time the decision staggered me.

It's not like they raked in a fortune. They got less than half a million for a player who was virtually priceless.

Now they will pay the biggest toll of all for their folly.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3556261/Rangers-threw-away-title-the-day-Kenny-flew-to-Turkey.html#ixzz1KzlxNOdU

thats a great laugh to read again just now.

Somebody who twitters need to go on to his twitter page and rub this in big time.:)

Frankie, surely?

Just tweet a wee message to @jhartson9 which is his official twitter account... :D