Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I would take a swap for Bougherra with Bartley

Given that Man Utd have agreed a fee of �£15m for a relative unknown and last year done the same with Smalling I would be holding out for a decent fee for Bougherra from an English premier league side.

The BBC's EPL gossip site says:

Sunderland have moved quickly to replace the Liverpool-bound Jordan Henderson by submitting a bid for three Manchester United players. Black Cats boss Steve Bruce has tabled an offer of more than �£12m for defenders Wes Brown and John O'Shea and midfielder Darron Gibson.

Full story: the Guardian

I for one wouldn't mind Gibson, though I do wonder how these figures add up. Are they in their last years at ManU?

As for Arsenal

Arsenal are in talks with both Bolton's Gary Cahill and Blackburn's Christopher Samba as Gunners manager Arsene Wenger looks to shore up the centre of his defence. Samba would cost about �£12m, while a �£15m deal would be enough to prise Cahill from the Reebok.

Going by that, we should wait for 5m AND Bartley if they want Bougherra.:D

I don't rate any of those Man Utd players - all will be over-priced anyway!

Would be very surprised if any top 5 English team wanted Bougherra but big Soti shows you can never say never.

Cuellar

Just double-checked some "facts" and Aston Villa has 6 full-backs (including Cuellar), and 3 centre-halfs ... according to Fantasy League's player list. Generally, their defence has been pretty poor, conceeding 59 goals (two more than e.g. Newcastle). Thus, I would assume they will not be willing to let one of their better defenders leave (on the cheap). Furthermore, they have a young up-and-coming Spanish (?) manager in the frame as their new boss, someone who might want to keep his countryman too (getting messages / tactics to the pitch et al). Just as food for thought.

Yep, I can't see it happening at all to be honest.

I see the French press are reporting we're interested in Yohan Benalouane again. Not sure of his contract status but Record reported last year he'd be available on a Bosman. If that's the case he'd be a good signing but would fancy we'll have competition for his signature.

Gibson is a one trick pony and virtual passenger at Man Utd. Closed his twitter after 2 hours cause he couldn't handle the abuse :D, not nice i know but setting yourself up for it isn't wise.

The others aren't much better Brown not very good would have been better a few years back and o'shea is just an average player who plays anywhere, probably doesn't know his own position.

Edited by metlika

A Villa fan I know rates Cuellar as the best CB at Villa.

Basically, it's all dependent on their new manager, whoever that will be, and what they will want to do.

But I reiterate - he left first chance he got, why is he suddenly so keen to come back? Is it because he knows he'll never win anything or play for Spain?

Given that Man Utd have agreed a fee of �£15m for a relative unknown and last year done the same with Smalling I would be holding out for a decent fee for Bougherra from an English premier league side.

I'm staggered that Arsenal would want Bougherra.

Yep, I can't see it happening at all to be honest.

I see the French press are reporting we're interested in Yohan Benalouane again. Not sure of his contract status but Record reported last year he'd be available on a Bosman. If that's the case he'd be a good signing but would fancy we'll have competition for his signature.

Didn't he just move to Serie A last summer? Contracted for another 3 years.

From FIFA on 31/08/2010

Yohan Benalouane has joined newly-promoted Italian side Cesena from Saint-Etienne, the French club has announced.

The fee for the 23-year-old centre-back, who was thought to be close to a move to Juventus, was reportedly €1m.