Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Whyte said from the first offer Goodwillie wasn't worth �£2m, now if this was advice from our manager, then I can live with that. If it was just a money decision, and went against the football advice, we may have problems.

Ians post about Verhoek if true, does not bode well, and could well be another decision by the money men, over the football side.

Hope I am wrong with this thinking, I am all for living within our means, but we have to keep the quality in the squad, as well as numbers.

IMHO, the press loves this new negative spin. Bougherra for the off. Goodwillie is Rovers, not Rangers bound. And now add to that the supposed cooled interest in Verhoek. Based on a week old news about Odonkor! When we have put in new bids for the Dutchman long after Odonkor was taken on? Odonkor, who is a right winger, while Verhoek plays on the left. Yes, I can see where these "news" are coming from.

Just wait till Malm�¶ manages the unthinkable. The press will have us "relegated" by the end of the week, due to loss of money and HMRC and whatever suits their fancy.

Gutting! No Verhoek and on a smaller scale, no Goodwillie.

It's depressing going round and round in circles all the time and getting nowhere.

Don't rely on the first rumour you hear. Hence my post above. I have learned a decade ago that whether pro or con, you should wait at least 24 hours or for an official statement of the club ere jumping about for joy or dispair.

BTW, regarding transfer dealings, I posted this over at FF a few minutes ago:

For being business men, our new owners seem piss poor at negotiating deals.

One disaster after another here.

Ahem ... maybe you read the following carefully, start to think and then make your next posting.

1 - Wanting a player does not mean getting a player.

2 - Wanting a player is the first step in a long list.

3 - Does his old club want to sell?

4 - Sell for a reasonable fee?

5 - Does the player want to leave? (E.g. family, yes, they have somesuch ...)

6 - Does the player want to leave for Rangers?

7 - Does the player want to leave for the sunny SPL?

8 - Does he want a certain pay which we can afford?

9 - Are we able to do all this without bursting the budget?

10 - If all is a goer and another team from even the sunnier (ahem richer-rewarding) EPL happens by, will he chose them over us?

11 - Is there interest from better leagues? (Spain, Italy, Germany, you name it.)

12 - Who does the actual talking? (Agents, you know ...)

13 - And who exactly owns the players and wants a bite from the cherry?

... add to this at your pleasure.

And then remind your self that Whyte does no transfer dealings, at least as far as I am aware.

(BTW, thank you to all participants to getting this thread through the 300k post barrier! You're awesome! :D)

Unfortunately we appear to have lost out on 75% of our alleged targets, must be a reason for that.

Well to be fair Hemed wanted to play in a different league, Danns was swayed by money, Miller we didn't want to pay over what we received for him so we can't really grumble at any of those deals.

Cuellar deal is still on going without any sort of resolution in site. The rest of the deals are simple, we have failed to match the valuation of the club selling the player. So we have not really missed out on them because the simple fact of the matter is we do not want to pay these clubs the fees they're looking for so we move on.

We have tied up Ortiz, Wallace and Goian and have Bedoya on a pre-contract so it is not all been a failure. We still have a full month to go and I am sure we will see more players come in, as frustrating as it has been the last thing we can afford to do is completely blow our budget. Hopefully with boogie leaving for the reported �£3 million pounds we should start to see some more movement soon.

It would appear that the budget is open to interpretation. It has been pointed out in other places, that we spent roughly �£7 million last year,wherever it came from, when we where allegedly run by a bank,

It would appear that the budget is open to interpretation. It has been pointed out in other places, that we spent roughly �£7 million last year,wherever it came from, when we where allegedly run by a bank,

That is very true I suppose but we also had guaranteed champions league income last season due to the added benefit of going straight into the group stages, this is something we don't have as it stands.