Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I guess the Goodwillie transfer has been complicated by interest from another club...

I heard someone suggest if we'd not been so derisory with our first offer, hearts wouldn't have been as difficult to deal with and a better deal for us could have perhaps been made.

It could just be the publicity that is different thesedays, but if we'd offered the �£2m up front then we'd have saved the need for the add ons which could bring the deal to �£3m!

Who knows what's right? :)

Come on guys, the guy had a rape case hanging over him and you wanted us to pay �£2.8M straight away for him? Get a grip.

And remember, if he could easily have been bought for less than �£2.8M, do you not think Blackburn would have paid the lower price? The price is �£2.8M and although we may have got him for about �£2.4M (minimum when you include add-ons) before his case was dropped, do you think that was worth the risk?

The price is the price and was probably higher before Blackburn negotiated them down. However, if we match Blackburn's terms for the fee and wages, it should then be down to the player where he goes.

If we get him for that price, there is no evidence whatsoever that we could have got him for less. Quite the opposite. And if we get him for that price now, what is the advantage of getting him earlier for the same price apart from him being available for four games? The advantage of not paying that earlier is that there was the possibility of getting him for less. That only changed when Blackburn made an offer. If no-one made an offer we'd have a good chance of getting him at least a bit cheaper when the window was due to close.

Basically we've been playing the game to our advantage and in the end, could not have saved money by playing it any other way - so I don't see where the criticism comes in. I think too many people are so used to going into Tesco's and just paying the ticket price, and have all but forgotten how to haggle.

It could just be the publicity that is different thesedays, but if we'd offered the �£2m up front then we'd have saved the need for the add ons which could bring the deal to �£3m!

I don't get how that works... You think Utd wanted �£2M and Blackburn turned them down and said, "that's too low, we'd like to give you more"? Isn't it normal for an SPL team selling to Rangers to ask for add-ons?

The only thing that could change the price was the court case but as Utd always said they wanted �£2M up front, I can't see how their price changed that much. The court case presented a risk which lowered his value and we bid accordingly. Nobody else was interested until it went away.

I firmly believe that Thompson has a value for Goodwillie and a 'Rangers value' for Goodwillie.

Nail on head it wouldn't matter what we offered that baldy twat he would say no, well if doesn't want rangers money I say he ain't getting my money either all rangers fans should refuse to go up to utd see if he is still so pompous when he not getting the fans money on the turnstiles.