Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Thing is if they really do want 2 million then we're only 300k off that value. Just pay it rangers.

It is that mentality that arguably put us close to bankruptcy though.

It is that mentality that arguably put us close to bankruptcy though.

The mentality which put us close to bankruptcy was trying to compete with the top clubs by signing top players for a fucking fortune. We casually threw 4, 5, 6 even 12M at clubs with nary a thought as to the future.

The argument that we're just being prudent now isn't very accurate imo - I just think we're being tight and absolutely rubbish at bringing in players these days.

It isnt the quantum that matters, it is the "just pay it Rangers" mentality. And nobody can deny that it was this mentality which put us in trouble.

Start down that route again, even if "only" for 300k, and it is a slippery slope which is hard to get away from.

You may call it being tight, but were we being tight in paying 1.5 mill for Wallace ? Or are we only being tight when it suits you, with players we dont get in ? We werent being tight with contract offers for Davis, McGregor, Whittaker - and we werent being tight in acquiring Wallace, Ortiz & Goian. I think a bit of balance is needed here.

It isnt solely a one way street - and if the club dont think a player is worth more than they have offered then should they really offer the higher amount anyway ? You may say yes, I dont think so.

That said, with someone like Verhoek, given his age, nationality & performances last year, we should be looking at the longer term in that if he performs well for us there would be resale value.

I would hardly think 300k no. I mean we are happy to say 1.2 million more for wallace than we originally bid so I don't see your point.

So if we originally bid 300k, Hearts said "we want 3 mill".... and Rangers say "nope, we will only go to 1.5 mill".... Hearts say "we want 2.5 mill" you reckon we should "just pay it Rangers" ??? Because that is the concept you are talking about here.

With that philosophy we would have paid 1 mill more for Wallace than we got him for.

It is the concept, not the quantum, that matters.

I thought we would move away from Wallace after mad vlad said �£3m. I agree with Craigy, �£300k isn't much especially with the Wallace deal a prime example of course we negotiated to what we believed matched Hearts supposed price of �£1m, then they move the goalposts to �£3m. Same happened with Dundee Utd, although I am very doubtful if Goodwillie would have been allowed to sign for us.

Who is to say ADO Den Haag will do they same? If we want him I think we should pay the price that they are supposedly asking we have come just short of what they are reportedly wanting �£300k isn't much. Not entirely sure if there is much bargaining with �£300k nowadays in football, maybe a few years back but not now. We went �£1.2m over our first valuation of Wallace. How much over were we going to go with Goodwillie after our first offer? Same could be said for Juhasz but Anerlecht's price has maybe come down a little but nowhere near to our first offer. Obviously I am just feeding off speculation a lot of it could be total BS.

Bids are needed to be made and usually most are test in the waters bids. I don't see why our transfer dealing team don't go out to Holland and meet with their board/chairmen and strike a deal, we used to do that. We did that with Jelavic but that was on and off all the time. Same for a couple of our transfer if there is tight negotiating some other deals didn't need it like Goian and Ortiz.

We went �£1.2m over our first valuation of Wallace.

There's absolutely no way we valued Wallace at �£300k. If it's actually true that we bid that much for him it was probably just a wind-up (to wind-up mad Vlad). Wallace has been valued as a �£1m+ Scottish left back for several seasons.