Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Yes, I'm aware of this. Did McLaren ever manage Verhoek? I don't know much about the winger, but I'd be surprised if he ever played for Twente. Ok, googled it, he never played for them.

I don't quite see why McLaren is a major attraction - despite managing a successful Twente side. I'd understand it if Verhoek had played under McLaren before, but on the whole Dutch basis I'm more surprised he's not joining Fulham.

Money will be a factor, for both current club & player.

I wouldn't mind us going for Murphy from Motherwell,especialy if we lose out on the Dutch lad,not that I know much about the Dutch lad,but I do think Murphy would give us what we are looking for,he is young and still to fully develope and improve,and I also think he would jump at the chance to join the Rangers

RANGERS are set to sign Australian midfielder Matt McKay for a cut price �£320,000.

The Ibrox club has agreed terms with the 28-year-old who currently plays for Brisbane Roar.

And they will complete the signing once the international has undergone a medical and gets a work permit.

McKay has been training with the Socceroos in Cardiff as they prepare to play Wales in a friendly on Wednesday.

SunSport can reveal the player has a 500,000 Australian dollar release clause in his contract even though he has several years remaining.

And McKay should have no problems obtaining a work permit as he has recently become a regular in the international side.

McKay played in every game of this year's Asian Cup and was instrumental in getting Australia to the final - where they lost to Japan.

He has been recommended to Ally McCoist by ex-Gers Craig Moore, Charlie Miller and Ian Ferguson.

Gers revealed they were after the player, who has 16 caps, and are desperate to sign him in time They said: "Rangers are hoping to make Australian international star Matt McKay their next signing as Ally McCoist continues to bolster the squad.

"The 28-year-old midfield star is firmly in McCoist's sights and a deal could be done this week. McKay is in the UK as Australia have a friendly international with Wales on Wednesday night and Rangers would love to do a deal before the Europa League play-off deadline on Thursday.

"The Brisbane Roar captain is at the peak of his form having become a regular in the Australian national team and named Player of the Season in the A-League by the Aussie media.

"He captained the Roar to their first Australian title and was inspirational in the 4-2 A-League final game against Central Coast Mariners.

"McKay comes highly recommended by former team-mate Craig Moore who, of course, spent nearly ten years at Rangers, and Ian Ferguson who has watched McKay blossom.

"He also played beside Charlie Miller who was also impressed by his ability.

"There are work permit issues but Rangers hope to overcome them."

Meanwhile, Gers have had an improved bid for winger Wesley Verhoek rejected by ADO Den Haag with the Dutch side revealing they are unhappy with the bid for the 24-year-old winger.

Club owner Mark van der Kallen said: "The Glasgow bid was just not high enough."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3739028/Rangers-move-for-Aussie-Matt-McKay.html#ixzz1UOKp0w00

ALLY McCOIST wants to make Socceroos international star Matt McKay his next signing after the mid-fielder was recommended by three former Rangers players.

Ex Ibrox captain Craig Moore alongwith midfielders Ian Ferguson and Charlie Miller who have vast experience of the Australian A League reckon the Brisbane Roar skipper will be an inspirational addition to their old club.

McCoist hopes to land the 28 year old playmaker in time for the Ibrox side's Europa Cup clash with Hungarians Maribor later this month.

McKay who faced Celtic two years ago during their tour of Australia and has spent time playing in the Chinese Super League is already in the UK as his international side have a friendly with Wales on Wednesday night

Talks are already well underway with the player who was credited with leading the Roar to their first Australian title after making a stirring speech during an extra time break to turn around a 2- 0 deficit against Central Coast Mariners and win 4-2 on penalties.

His performances last season also earned him Player of the Year Award down under.

Moore who spent nearly 10 years at Rangers and powerhouse Ferguson have watched the left sided McKay blossom during his time in Austalian football where he also played beside Miller who was impressed by his ability.

There are work permit problems surrounding the move but Rangers hope to overcome them and get the 16 times capped McKay on board

McCoist meanwhile is also set to monitor Spanish teenage wonderkid Guillermo Andres Lopez who will have a one week trial at Murray Park this week in his bid to secure a loan deal with the SPL champions.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/263600/Rangers-target-socceroos-star-for-inspiration

Juhasz might sign today lads

Rangers are edging closer to a deal to sign Roland Juhasz, as they look to complete his transfer ahead of Monday night’s Europa League deadline.

The Ibrox club tabled a fresh offer to Anderlecht for the defender last week, which is reportedly in the region of �£3.5 million, having had two previous bids for the player rejected.

Both sides remain in discussions over the possible sale of the 28-year-old and, speaking to STV on Monday morning, the Belgian side said Rangers could have their man by the 11pm cut-off.

“Rangers and Anderlecht are still in discussions over the sale of Roland Juhasz,” an Anderlecht spokesperson said. “If Rangers can agree to our valuation, the chances are he could sign for Rangers today.

“We are quite close to reaching an agreement. There is a big possibility it could happen today as Rangers would like to register the player for the Europa League. But at the moment no agreement has been reached.”

Juhasz is currently with the Hungarian national squad ahead of their friendly with Iceland on Wednesday, leaving it unclear whether he could undergo a medical in time to join by Monday night.

If Rangers miss the signing deadline, they have until Wednesday, August 17 at 11pm to register one additional player for their Europa League play-off round tie with Maribor.

So by the looks of it, we might have Juhasz and McKay signed up today. McCoist and McDowell were at Motherwell yesterday, hopefully to check out the Jamie version of Murphy.

John Viola, the agent of Matt McKay, says they player was impressed with Murray Park after a weekend tour of Rangers facilities. He also said the deal is on track but does not expect it to be completed before 11pm tonight.