Rangers 1 v 1 Hearts - The Quest for 55 begins slowly

What i loved was the Ally was able to get them in at HT, give them a team talk that resulted in a change in performance and attitude. That’s a quality that lacks in a lot of managers.

The fans that boo’d are wankers. You NEVER Boo on the first few games, give them time, if it’s not working after 5 or 6 games then get on their back

Greg Wylde should have been brought on much earlier. I was screaming for the change at half time because Ortiz didn't have the pace to get past McGowan.

I thought Edu had a really good game today, but I wasn't happy with McCulloch at all. He came into the game more in the second half, but when it really mattered towards the end there he made two long passes backwards within the last five minutes. One of them was in the dying seconds when we could still have snuck a goal, but Jig just passes it back down the park. Fcuking terrible.

Seriously ? McCulloch was far more effective than Edu. Edu's control puts Carlton Palmer's touch to shame. edu's second touch is a tackle. All day long Edu was off the pace. McCulloch is very, very slow but he actually was spraying the ball around well.

McCulloch was decent enough today and most definitely not worse than Edu. Edu is a liability now, constantly looking for too much time on the ball.

Like you, I wouldn't have played Jig & Edu in the middle today. Edu had a very good game IMO, but playing McCulloch in front of the back 4 in a game like that one today serves absolutely no purpose. At half time we were saying here why not take off Jig, move Davis in along with Edu, move Naismith to the right and put on another striker - either Healy or Hemmings. Like I said, I'd have brought on Wylde much earlier as well because while Ortiz looked pretty good, he wasn't having any joy at getting past the Hearts RB. As soon as Wylde came on you could see the difference immediately because Wylde has that cracking burst of speed.

actually it was moving jig back to cover the back 4 that allowed us to improve. The full of the first 45 and we gave Obua far too much time to bring the ball down and get it moving. 2nd half and jig closed that down as he was asked to protect the back 4 more.

It surprises me how much grief he is getting because I thou jig had a decent game today with then only thing sadly showing was his severe lack of any pace.

Also surprised that you felt Ortiz looked good. I won't be maligning him in his first competitive game for the club, but I thought he looked Pish. Now once did he get outside his marker, every time he came inside he seemed to lose the ball and he looked, to me at least, as if he has very little pace too. Gregg Wylde is a far better option for the LM slot even though Wylde needs to be more unpredictable too, because he also seems to have to go outside his marker and never comes inside. His final ball leaves a lot to be desired too.

As it stands right now, we would be screwed without Davis, Naismith and McGregor. We could be doing with 3 or 4 starters let alone squad players.

BTW, if I hear Broadfoot try to make a case for being a starter again I think I will puke. An absolute nightmare of a centre half.

I think it is fair to say that it would be best if people would not start debating the ability or non-ability of players et al straight after a match. Emotions clearly take over, whether here or on FF ... and when you settle down a bit and look at the circumstance, give the opposition the credit it deserves, you will come up with a more level-headed conclusion than most of the above ... and there is no insult intended whatsoever.

So, after todays result who's all concerned? There were a few who said they'd wait until our first competitive match before worrying.

I still am not overly concerned. We weren't at the races 1st half but much improved in the second half. Could have been 3 down at HT, but likewise could have won the game 3-1 by the end.

It was blatant that we need another CB because Broadfoot simply won't do. we also need a striker to complement Jelavic. The big man struggled today because the support he got was lacking and slow.

Another thing that frustrates me is that our tempo is still very, very slow.

hearts a undoubtedly the 3rd best team in the league and got their tactics spot on, so not overly concerned yet.

Playing Broadfoot at the back was my worry and we did play him and we dropped points. I am trying to keep a lid on it currently, but I am disappointed but the more the game went on I thought it was going to be a draw at best. Also punting the ball up to our best outfield player isn't what I call great tactics.

Also why is Ally doing what Walter did and sit in the stands I thought he would like to be down at the touchline.

Weir and Bougherra on Tuesday please.

Ally has, rightly, said that you can see the game, the tactics and formations much better from sitting in the stands. He us absolutely correct in that assessment too.

He doesn't need to be on the touchline.

I would take Bougherra and ..... Cuellar on Tuesday but given we don't have Cuellar and given he is injured then, yes, Weir and Bougherra for sure.

One thing though before we go into meltdown over a draw with Hearts. Obua ALWAYS gives us a really hard time, we just don't seem to know how to handle him.

I think it is fair to say that it would be best if people would not start debating the ability or non-ability of players et al straight after a match. Emotions clearly take over, whether here or on FF ... and when you settle down a bit and look at the circumstance, give the opposition the credit it deserves, you will come up with a more level-headed conclusion than most of the above ... and there is no insult intended whatsoever.

The above is a fair statement. But by doing this we would hardly ever be debating anything.

You are only as good as your last game and it is still fair to debate how a player has played - it isn't necessarily debating their ability, more debating their contribution in the most recent game.

hearts played well and no team has a divine right to win. But that shouldn't mean that players become exempt from criticism if they don't okay well.

My assessment of our player's performances would be :

McGregor - made a couple of saves to keep us in the game, one at 1-0 and one at 1-1. Would be expected to make both but still needed to be made.

Whittaker - have always said that his defensive positioning is very poor and this was proven again today. Looks decent enough going forward but defensively is poor.

Bougherra - looked decent enough today but still has his lapses. Also at times looked like he wasnt making too much of an effort and looked like putting us in danger too with his complacency.

Broadfoot - Nightmare centre half. The only position he should be considered for is full back.

Papac - effective but uninspiring. decent run late in second half but poor finish.

Davis - best player. Always involved, looking to get on the ball and looking to creat and push us forward.

McCulloch - I thought he did ok, spraying the ball around but very, very slow. Did the unglamorous job in the second half of protecting the back line and did it decently.

Edu - I thought he was poor. Looked to get involved but has been in the SPL long enough to know you don't get that much time on the ball. also had lapses in concentration. Did try to get forward and help too. Maybe I am being harsh on him, or expect more from him.

Ortiz - I thought he was poor too. Not pacy, couldn't beat his marker, looked ineffectual when cutting inside. His touch wasn't that good either, expected more.

Naismith - 2nd best player. All our best work goes through Naismith IMO. Constant thorn in the side for Hearts. Lucky goal, looked like it came off his shoulder. But our most dangerous player.

Jelavic - didn't do much, needed more support. Decent effort early doors with overhead kick but other than that largely anonymous.

Wylde - pacy, decent touch, final ball lacking. More effective than Ortiz though.

So, after todays result who's all concerned? There were a few who said they'd wait until our first competitive match before worrying.

It must be really terrible for you following Rangers.

Never seen the game,or heard it,but drawing the first game of the season is hardly a disaster,especialy against Hertz.Upwards and onwards I say.

Guest Dutchy

Oh wow, wow and thrice wow, we're only going the win the league by 7 points now.

That was not the best today and I don't like Ally in the stand the whole game. that's Walters trade mark, be your own man Ally and get to the dug out.

Whittaker is not a defender and we were better when he was going forward I was also happy to see Wylde come on.

Maybe it will be better to wait before writing-off the whole season after a game with a fired up Jambos team. In fact, could things change by much after the septic result tomorrow???