Rangers 1 v 1 Hearts - The Quest for 55 begins slowly

Greg Wylde should have been brought on much earlier. I was screaming for the change at half time because Ortiz didn't have the pace to get past McGowan.

I thought Edu had a really good game today, but I wasn't happy with McCulloch at all. He came into the game more in the second half, but when it really mattered towards the end there he made two long passes backwards within the last five minutes. One of them was in the dying seconds when we could still have snuck a goal, but Jig just passes it back down the park. Fcuking terrible.

Very, very poor. I hope it's not a case of start as you mean to go on. We finally have two natural wide players at the club, and the manager leaves one on the bench until the seventy fifth minute and plays the other one out of position, a tad bemusing.

IMO, Lee McCulloch should only ever be on the park if we under the cosh and needing to give the back four protection, in Europe or protecting a lead at the piggery for instance. When you need a bit craft and energy in the middle, he should be last player you call upon.

We've got two cracking young players in Ness and Hutton who imo, showed last season that they're well good enough to be trusted to do a job for us.

All in all, a ropey start for Ally. This Bear hopes it gets a lot better soon.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot, Whittaker......OH DEAR!!!

Edited by nokiss

Ally hasnt freshened anything up and is playing these 'auto starters' for to accommodate them as what has happened in the past. Edu, McCulloch and Davis are 3 central midfielders so in a 4-4-2 that doesnt work. Davis is our best player (by far MOTM today) so should be centre, that means 1 from the other 2 miss out. Then put Wylde and Ortiz wide. Ortiz will be ruined before he starts if he is a right sided player. but Naismith in the 2nd half proved he should be first pick at RM.

Next to Davis in the centre should be Hutton or Ness or bougherra if we get 2 new defenders. McCulloch was off the pace today and wont get much better this season. Edu is going to be 6 shite games 1 good game.

Quite a bit of home work to be done for Ally tonight.

I felt we missed Lafferty today.

Was not enthused about the line up, as McCulloch and Edu are not required during a home game. Might have been a test for Malm�¶ though. When the change came, I would have put Wylde on the left and Ortiz on the right (the position he was bought for?), leaving McCulloch out of it and stretching Hearts' central defence. But that's just me.

Like you, I wouldn't have played Jig & Edu in the middle today. Edu had a very good game IMO, but playing McCulloch in front of the back 4 in a game like that one today serves absolutely no purpose. At half time we were saying here why not take off Jig, move Davis in along with Edu, move Naismith to the right and put on another striker - either Healy or Hemmings. Like I said, I'd have brought on Wylde much earlier as well because while Ortiz looked pretty good, he wasn't having any joy at getting past the Hearts RB. As soon as Wylde came on you could see the difference immediately because Wylde has that cracking burst of speed.

Very disappointing first half, we were very lucky to only be 1 down going in. Much improvement in the 2nd half and could have easily won it with the chances provided!

Although McCoist should have brought Wylde on for Ortiz I was happy he at least seen something and swapped Davis and Naismith which opened things up for us!

All in all it's a marathon not a sprint and we can only get better, I think we were too late going into pre-season and it showed today as it took us far too long to get into the game.

Hopefully this will put the management into hurrying some of the transfers through as it is oblivious that we need new faces in and to sort that defence out! Broadfoot as CH just fills me with dread and hopefully the Cuellar deal can go through.

At the end of the day it was a fair result against a very good Hearts team and with a few key players missing I think we handled ourselves ok.

Playing Broadfoot at the back was my worry and we did play him and we dropped points. I am trying to keep a lid on it currently, but I am disappointed but the more the game went on I thought it was going to be a draw at best. Also punting the ball up to our best outfield player isn't what I call great tactics.

Also why is Ally doing what Walter did and sit in the stands I thought he would like to be down at the touchline.

Weir and Bougherra on Tuesday please.

So, after todays result who's all concerned? There were a few who said they'd wait until our first competitive match before worrying.

Apart from Broadfoot and Ortiz (who weren't there for obvious reasons), which of the players on show today disappointed at the end of last season or gave you concerns?