Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I for one have been called an 'Ally basher' on here whatever that is?

We are on a very long crusade right now trying to establish ourselves once again as No1.

Is McCoist the right man to lead us there, or should we bring in someone with experience?

I'm not 'bashing' Ally - love the guy to be perfectly honest, but

Is he the right man to take us forward?

Edited by Zappa

Too early to say. I'll decide after a few more matches. But despite being a hero and showing immense dignity during this saga, the signs are there that he doesnt have the tactical ability as a manager.

But bringing in experience is something thats been needed since Ally was appointed. Not just experience, a bit of leader who could assist Ally is needed.

If Ally was removed, just who exactly is going to replace him!!?? Due to being a Div 3 side the best we may get is someone like Jimmy Calderwood. Although id expect him to get us through the lower leagues.

I think we should wait and see. It's early doors yet.

Tuesday, I thought we were really goog at times. That was against higher ranked opposition that Peterhead.

Yesterday was our (and Ally's) first away match in Div 3. Also against one of the contenders for the play offs.

We were fortunate to get a draw.

But let's see how things go. No alarm bells yet for this Bear.

What IMHO is generally "ignored" when people talk about us, be it players, coaches, or managers, is the oppostion. In some you do sense some unwarranted arrogance towards anything "below" if not "beyond" Rangers. It's like the universe revolves around us and if there is anyone or anything to blame about "failure", it is us and us alone. In some you sense it more, in others there's at least some show of objectivity. This is, BTW, no insult to anyone. I've been around since the early 1980s and seen it before. There's no wonder that a number of generations of Bluenoses have developed such a stance, a stance that even goes above your normal feeling of being better or something special that comes along with following a club of our stature. For the Bears have come to expect us to win each and every game we play in Scotland (at least) after decades of domination. And to some it is apparently hard to fathom that this may no longer the case for some years to come. Hence the IMHO rather unnecessary and not seldom unwarranted bashing and slagging of our people. Likewise is their repetitive slagging of all who are not of their opinion about e.g. McCoist, coming up with ridiculous "excuses" arguments. As I said before, Advocaat, McLeish and Smith quite often baffled us with team selections and tactics time and again. More often than not, these people got it right in the end, whether we saw good football because of that or not. Sometimes we were mauled, sometime we prevailed. And if I remember correct, there were Bears galore bashing the managers because of their selections and tactics. Not least Smith, even when he brought us to Manchester. That is probably part and parcel of the modern day fan culture, as well as some modern day feeling that if something goes wrong, someone needs to bear all the blame. Whether it makes sense or not is not primarily important.

If people look at yesterday and try to stay objective, they will see that we put out a decent enough mix of veterans and youngsters, a mix that saw us slaughter a "better" team than Peterhead at Ibrox. Why would we need any more but 3 seasoned defenders in Division three? Isn't it better, as Tuesday showed, to have a packed and agile midfield or even three up front like yesterday? It is a system not much tried before, but what better time to do it than now? So why did we not perform as good as Tuesday? Surely not because of McCoist team selection.

Location: 40odd thousand Bears and a fine pitch sure make for better football than the lawn of a tiny football club.

Occasion: For us, essentially the third competitive game without anything that resembles a pre-season. Fitness levels are thus probably not over 60% or the like. Most players have not get used to one another like we are used to in years gone by. We have a core of 4 players who have played in recent squads - Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, and McCulloch. Thus, it is no wonder that the side is not always clicking right now. Peterhead, or any other hand, has not such "problems". On the contrary, they play at home, have the TV looking at them ("putting themselves in the shop window" springs to mind) and obviously, much like any other team we will face, had the adrenalin pumping for their cup final of the season. (In this respect, we will face some stern opposition in months to come, make no doubt. The quality will be Low", but in the end it will be 11 men against 11 in a game of chance. We'll have the better cards for sure, but it remains a game of chance.)

Changes: Ally had two half-fit seasoned professionals on the bench, who, by your average boarder's opinion should be good enough to bully anything 3rd into submission. Again, football does not work like that. We all should have been around to know this. In a few weeks time, there's no doubt that Sandaza and Kyle we play much longer, if not from the beginning. Then there was Hutton, who, IMHO, hasn't made one of the brightest starts to the season either. Whether he would have changed anything is up for debate. Cole is an uknown quantity but will surely get the odd game to prove himself, much like Macleod and McKay. Yet, if we face stubborn opposition, Ally (and any other manager) will sure rely on old hands to see us through. Sometimes it will not work, more often than not it will. because of the simple fact that we will play part-timers who, once they run out of steam and adrenalin, will succumbed to a seasoned professional.

There is no doubt that we must improve our game, and there is no doubt that we will.

Edited by der Berliner

What IMHO is generally "ignored" when people talk about us, be it players, coaches, or managers, is the oppostion. In some you do sense some unwarranted arrogance towards anything "below" if not "beyond" Rangers. It's like the universe revolves around us and if there is anyone or anything to blame about "failure", it is us and us alone. In some you sense it more, in others there's at least some show of objectivity. This is, BTW, no insult to anyone. I've been around since the early 1980s and seen it before. There's no wonder that a number of generations of Bluenoses have developed such a stance, a stance that even goes above your normal feeling of being better or something special that comes along with following a club of our stature. For the Bears have come to expect us to win each and every game we play in Scotland (at least) after decades of domination. And to some it is apparently hard to fathom that this may no longer the case for some years to come. Hence the IMHO rather unnecessary and not seldom unwarranted bashing and slagging of our people. Likewise is their repetitive slagging of all who are not of their opinion about e.g. McCoist, coming up with ridiculous "excuses" arguments. As I said before, Advocaat, McLeish and Smith quite often baffled us with team selections and tactics time and again. More often than not, these people got it right in the end, whether we saw good football because of that or not. Sometimes we were mauled, sometime we prevailed. And if I remember correct, there were Bears galore bashing the managers because of their selections and tactics. Not least Smith, even when he brought us to Manchester. That is probably part and parcel of the modern day fan culture, as well as some modern day feeling that if something goes wrong, someone needs to bear all the blame. Whether it makes sense or not is not primarily important.

If people look at yesterday and try to stay objective, they will see that we put out a decent enough mix of veterans and youngsters, a mix that saw us slaughter a "better" team than Peterhead at Ibrox. Why would we need any more but 3 seasoned defenders in Division three? Isn't it better, as Tuesday showed, to have a packed and agile midfield or even three up front like yesterday? It is a system not much tried before, but what better time to do it than now? So why did we not perform as good as Tuesday? Surely not because of McCoist team selection.

Location: 40odd thousand Bears and a fine pitch sure make for better football than the lawn of a tiny football club.

Occasion: For us, essentially the third competitive game without anything that resembles a pre-season. Fitness levels are thus probably not over 60% or the like. Most players have not get used to one another like we are used to in years gone by. We have a core of 4 players who have played in recent squads - Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, and McCulloch. Thus, it is no wonder that the side is not always clicking right now. Peterhead, or any other hand, has not such "problems". On the contrary, they play at home, have the TV looking at them ("putting themselves in the shop window" springs to mind) and obviously, much like any other team we will face, had the adrenalin pumping for their cup final of the season. (In this respect, we will face some stern opposition in months to come, make no doubt. The quality will be Low", but in the end it will be 11 men against 11 in a game of chance. We'll have the better cards for sure, but it remains a game of chance.)

Changes: Ally had two half-fit seasoned professionals on the bench, who, by your average boarder's opinion should be good enough to bully anything 3rd into submission. Again, football does not work like that. We all should have been around to know this. In a few weeks time, there's no doubt that Sandaza and Kyle we play much longer, if not from the beginning. Then there was Hutton, who, IMHO, hasn't made one of the brightest starts to the season either. Whether he would have changed anything is up for debate. Cole is an uknown quantity but will surely get the odd game to prove himself, much like Macleod and McKay. Yet, if we face stubborn opposition, Ally (and any other manager) will sure rely on old hands to see us through. Sometimes it will not work, more often than not it will. because of the simple fact that we will play part-timers who, once they run out of steam and adrenalin, will succumbed to a seasoned professional.

There is no doubt that we must improve our game, and there is no doubt that we will.

is it to much to ask that we outplay part timers rather than out last them.

is it to much to ask that we outplay part timers rather than out last them.

no but this is/was their cup final and at home with all their players playing well and ours not. we will improve and win the league easy, I am not worried about our early form, if we don't improve in the next few months then i'll start worrying but we will also have the odd bad result/game in that period but i fully expect us to win the league easy enough but as usual it doesn't seem to be enough for some fans and I am not aiming that at you :)

I am looking forward to Saturdays game as I expect a few goals and us to win easy and hopefully we will play some good football as well, the away ties are not going to be easy as people think but we should win the majority of them.