Broadfoot to be released

Ironically I think George Burley's much criticised comments describing Broadfoot as a player of 'limited ability' are probably as accurate as anything else.

He's had some very good games while at the club and has proven himself a useful servant. However, I'd rather move him on now and give a younger lad a chance to improve over the coming years.

I think our side is now of far lower quality than would be normal for us at the top of the SPL when we had an income of £50m a year. Players like Broadfoot can have a place in a team of better players where they do one of the less glamorous jobs. But when you take away a very solid defence and then start to rely on him as one of the better, higher paid players, he just hasn't got it in his bag.

He's an ok bit part player but on his wage in the current squad he'd now need to be a star player which he just isn't.

Removing his inflated wage would certainly help to increase the paltry size of our squad.

After some of the stuff he gets/has had shouted to him by again our own supporters long before that incident it's a wonder he hasn't hit anyone :) and he did apologise i'm sure, things do happen in the heat of the moment sometimes he is human. He's a hard working player, had one decent season and I don't rate him to be honest. but I would never slate him to the levels some of fans do it's shameful IMO.

Agreed mate no player deserves to get some of shit I hear from our fans, but the best way to beat it is just get on with the job on the park. I agree Broadfoot is at his best when he puts in a hard shift problem is when he doesn't he's lost he's nothing else to fall back on. I wouldn't mind him staying and playing in the middle of the defence its where I've always thought he was at his best but if he wants to go so be it.

I won't lose any sleep over it.

Broadfoot has been one of those players who became a bit of a whipping boy for our support. He's not the most gifted, but I tell you what, he never hides and was one of the few who we knew for a fact put in extra hours at training, so others could learn from him in that regard. All the best to the lad.

Broadfoot has been one of those players who became a bit of a whipping boy for our support. He's not the most gifted, but I tell you what, he never hides and was one of the few who we knew for a fact put in extra hours at training, so others could learn from him in that regard. All the best to the lad.

I know for a fact that he also hired a personal trainer during the off season (a couple of years ago, not sure about this one or last) in order that when he came back to pre-season he was already in top physical condition !

Indeed Mike, many of the current crop could learn from that.

Kirk Broadfoot has thanked Ally McCoist and the Rangers supporters for "great memories" of his time at Ibrox.

Manager McCoist confirmed earlier today that the 28-year-old defender would leave the club by the weekend.

The former St Mirren player moved to Rangers in 2007 and agreed to stay at Ibrox when the club was relaunched in Irn-Bru Division Three this summer but now he is free to find another club.

A statement released through Bridge Litigation UK Solicitors read: "Kirk Broadfoot has agreed to leave Rangers with immediate effect.

"Kirk has thoroughly enjoyed his five years at Rangers winning three league titles and playing in the Champions' League group stages.

"He also played every game in the UEFA Cup run including the final.

"Kirk was glad to assist Rangers by taking a 75% wage reduction which ensured the club's survival to the end of last season.

"Kirk wishes to sincerely thank Ally McCoist for his support throughout a difficult period and the Rangers fans for the great memories.

"He also thanks all of the staff at both Murray Park and Ibrox for their help over the years.

"He genuinely wishes his many friends at Rangers and all connected with the club all the best for this season and beyond."