ALLY McCOIST wants Marius Zaliukas as his defensive rock for next season.

SunSport can reveal the ex-Hearts skipper tops the list of targets drawn up by the Rangers boss.

Zaliukas, 29, is available for free after quitting the Jambos at the end of the season.

And McCoist plans to hold talks with the Lithuanian international next week in the hope of luring him to Ibrox.

Finding a dominant centre-half is McCoistâ??s top priority as he prepares for the Second Division.

The Gers gaffer has weighed up various options and has now decided Zaliukas is the man he wants to stiffen his side which leaked too many goals last term. Zaliukas had seven years at Tynecastle after joining from FBK Kaunas in 2006 and became a Jambos legend as skipper for their historic 5-1 Scottish Cup Final victory over Hibs last year.

It is unclear whether he would be interested in signing for the Ibrox side, but McCoist hopes he can sell him on the move.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4960239/Gers-want-Super-Zally.html#ixzz2VZfCdzOp

Wonder if they will issue a denial ?

Have Goian and Bocangera reported back or has their agents indicated that they'll leave soonish?

Zaliukas sure is a decent enough player, a CH that can score goals too. Can't say I have seen him much these last two years though ...

NB: That rumour as such is quite old and I wonder how the Sun would get hold of Ally's plans for next week.

Talking about central defenders, I have pinched this from FF.

''I am not one for claiming to have inside info, but thought I'd pass on what I was told tonight. One of my good friends went to University with Callum Morris and is best mates. apparently Callum plays for Dunfermline and was named in the div 1 team of the year. He is 6ft 3 and meant to be a solid, quick defender. I have no idea who the lad is or if he's any good but according to my mate Rangers might be signing him! Anybody heard anything about this lad?