McAusland impressed on Saturday, and generally this season at right back. But for me he looks more like a centre half given his height. I'd too would be happy with Mohshni, Pandza, Faure and Jig, with McAusland and Gasparotto as backups.

Saying that, Gasparotto needs to be loaned out to get first team experience. There is no point in him spending this season on the bench as he's clearly ready for that level of involvement, even if he is not a starter for us yet.

My post was harsh on McAusland, I felt that even when writing it, but unless we're willing to put him in beside Bilel come what may - I mean, really put him in for six months and take the mistakes, not something we have a history of doing as a support - this season is going to be either playing at RB (I think Foster will take over there) or bit part appearances where he learns little and can only really harm his career with a bloomer.

You are spot on with Gasparotto and I would argue Kyle should do the same. If he was a natural FB I'd say fight Foster and pick up maybe 15-20 games but he's surely a CB and at his age he MUST be playing at a decent level to progress.

Given where we are right now in terms of leagues and cash, wouldn't you accept Moshni, Faure, Jig and pick one from the others? I think you may be under-rating McAusland, albeit not tested against decent opposition but not his fault. Hegarty has been played out of position most of the time but did looked very nervous at CB at the end of last season and made three mistakes in a row in one game, can't remember who against. Agreed Cribari and Perry can go.

If we can't afford it, then yes I would accept that. If the finances allow a better player to be the '+1', why not get him? I too think McAusland has the makings of a player and I'd like to see him come on, but like you I can remember the likes of Dave McPherson, Davie MacKinnon, Hell, even Ian Redford 'fitting in' at FB when it clearly didn't suit them and I am wary of doing it to players (esp. young players) when, imo, it can only stunt their development.

Out on loan for Luca and Kyle, then next season we have Seb, Boris, and Bilel, with Kyle & Luca pushing them hard for a place. Jig winds down, while Emilson and Ross seek pastures new. Competition for places, & injury/suspensions covered.

dB mentioned Argyriou - I had forgotten all about him! Probably for the best.

Edited by andy steel

Out on loan for Luca and Kyle, then next season we have Seb, Boris, and Bilel, with Kyle & Luca pushing them hard for a place. Jig winds down, while Emilson and Ross seek pastures new. Competition for places, & injury/suspensions covered.

Kyle (Hutton) would be pushing Macleod, Law, Black and Peralta for a starting slot in a (!) central/defensive midfield. I for can't see him getting it. Their subs would be Crawford, Murdoch and Telfer ...

Sorry mate, but every time I saw he him he failed on every score.

He was outpaced by opposition players.

His passing started badly and became diabolical.

His tackling was weak and ineffectual.

His attacking was poor, I can recall only one goal v Berwick.

His confidence, not surprisingly given the above, was shattered.

The difference between McCoist, Hateley and Hutton is that the first two had the ability to come through a tough spell. I don't believe Kyle Hutton does.

Sorry mate, but every time I saw he him he failed on every score.

He was outpaced by opposition players.

His passing started badly and became diabolical.

His tackling was weak and ineffectual.

His attacking was poor, I can recall only one goal v Berwick.

His confidence, not surprisingly given the above, was shattered.

The difference between McCoist, Hateley and Hutton is that the first two had the ability to come through a tough spell. I don't believe Kyle Hutton does.

McCoist had the mental strength to pull through as his blood runs blue.

If I am not mistaken Hutton's does not.

I don't wish to seem mean to the guy - I hope he doesn't browse Gersnet - but even if he was the biggest Bluenose on the planet I don't think it could do anything about the lack of ability he gave us before his injury.

If he can fight his way into the midfield we are assembling, it will show a level of mental strength I don't think I've seen from any Rangers player before, even including McCoist. I'll be the first to applaud him, too.

Hutton had the chance of his life last season, not least after Macleod got injured. Yet, I can't remember that I screamed more often at my monitor screen in dispair since the days of Lövenkrands*. Hutton had probably one decent game in five, but more often than not was lackadaisical or disinterested. While Black is sure no great footballer, he'll gave and give us the 100% he's got each time out on the park. From the looks of it, Hutton was somewhere between 30 to 50% of his own standard. IMHO, he wasted his chance to play in a Rangers midfield thinking he had made it. (Him and Cole laughing at the Rangers support about training a bit more was essentially the icing on the cake.)

*Perhaps a disservice to Peter. But 7 out of 10 times the Dane burst into the penalty area, he squandered the chances presented to him. Thing is, he converted the remaining three with class.

*Perhaps a disservice to Peter. But 7 out of 10 times the Dane burst into the penalty area, he squandered the chances presented to him. Thing is, he converted the remaining three with class.

I will never forget the sight of Ronald de Boer pointing to where he was going to send the ball for Lovenkrnads and looking on in dismay as the pass went exactly where he had pointed but Lovenkrands didn't.

That said I will also never forget THAT goal at Ibrox and again in Villarreal as he gave us the best chance ever of reaching the CL Quarter Finals (and Boyd missed it from inches). :facepalm: