A dinosaur rears it's head

I doubt DA has been referred to as a dinosaur. He is probably the only bear who is a regular on the main forums where I've never seen any criticism (and quite rightly)

I'd criticise him for his incorrect use of apostrophes. :D

The British aspect of our identity is interesting. My father who is in his 80s now says that when he was going to games in the 50s Rangers were primarily Scottish, there was much less emphasis on being British. I started going in the 70s and as far as I remember our identity was more Scottish than British. We were proud when our players were selected fro Scotland and even had a Scotland select for John Greig's testimonial - I can't imagine that happening now. We were 100% Scottish when the problems in Barcelona and Birmingham (Aston Villa) were being reported. I wonder if we have "become" more British as a reaction to the increasing Irishness of Celtic?

We probably became more open with the arrival of the English under Souness, the success we had at home - one that still dwarfs what other British teams can show - and when the Champions League started, being ever present - albeit with varying success. And there was another aspect which perhaps turned our support "away" from the Scottish game a little: the ignoring of many of our internationl class players from the days of Cooper onwards. It would be no surprise, if the pro-SFA / national team sentiments remain at a rock-bottom level, after the way the SFA behaved these last two years. And who could argue about that?

As I said, the acceptance of our support in Scotland would sure steadily grow if we mark our Scottish heritage more than we do now. There is no antagonism in being British and Scottish.

I work and have worked with a lot of English guys and most,if not all,of them refer to themselves as English, not British

I also work a lot with colleagues from newcastle, manchester and sheffield. I find the further you go down they defo class themselves as English, but a lot of the geordies most certainly either say geordie or British .

saying that ive come to find they majority of them hate celtic so at least that's a good thing. . ( the ones in Manchester have the odd sly dig lol )

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The British aspect of our identity is interesting. My father who is in his 80s now says that when he was going to games in the 50s Rangers were primarily Scottish, there was much less emphasis on being British. I started going in the 70s and as far as I remember our identity was more Scottish than British. We were proud when our players were selected fro Scotland and even had a Scotland select for John Greig's testimonial - I can't imagine that happening now. We were 100% Scottish when the problems in Barcelona and Birmingham (Aston Villa) were being reported. I wonder if we have "become" more British as a reaction to the increasing Irishness of Celtic?

Spot on with that post, bud. I reckon the strident Britishness thing started largely as a reaction to the Troubles in Northern Ireland and to our hygenically challenged friends in the east end supporting the Republican side. Back in the sixties union jacks were flown at the stadium much, much less than they are today, being seen as an 'English' flag.

Spot on with that post, bud. I reckon the strident Britishness thing started largely as a reaction to the Troubles in Northern Ireland and to our hygenically challenged friends in the east end supporting the Republican side. Back in the sixties union jacks were flown at the stadium much, much less than they are today, being seen as an 'English' flag.

They were mainly waved and flown for their colours, I agree about Ulster, that's when you heard more and more Orange songs being sung.

Im not so sure about that RPB. I remember reading one of Prof Graham Walker's book /essays - he says there was a significant increase in British symbolism amongst the Rangers support post Word War 1.

Im not so sure about that RPB. I remember reading one of Prof Graham Walker's book /essays - he says there was a significant increase in British symbolism amongst the Rangers support post Word War 1.

There was probably always some in the 50s/60s, but nothing like the upsurge in the 70s.