I can't abide the songs and chants about the UVF etc, I have friends and relatives (by marriage) from Northern Ireland and not one of them has a good word to say about the so called "loyalist" paramilitaries - a bunch of thugs, bullies and career criminals.

I find it hard to think of anyone I detest more than him. George Galloway comes very close' date=' but at least he is consistent if nothing else.[/quote']

Well, if the subject under discussion is "What's best for George Galloway?", then I'd agree he's very consistent; this religious man of God with great religious morality who has been married at least three times; this fighter for national self-determination all over the world, except in his own country; this defender of society's down and outs who supports a "war on drugs" that only serves to create more of them. He does get some things right, but then by the law of averages, so does a chimpanzee taking a multiple choice test.

Apart from that, there is a word starting with C which springs to mind when I consider Mr Galloway, but 'consistent' ain't it.

Regarding the UVF and No surrender and all that. Mabye I am wrong, but while we sure have our hardliners all along, I got the impression that most of our supporters "shed" the actual meaning and real support of anything "loyalist" in the mid-90s. It became football songs, part of the "banter" and really good for a sing-along. Somesuch never happened at the Scumhut though, and during their barren years, it actually became worse with them. The (as in: our's, not their's) songs were taken out of the football context, were criminalised and politicised. Agenda driven. I for one would reckon that many an "Ultra" belting out Father's Advice or The Sash hardly has a clue about or any real-life support for the Orange Order, YCV or UVF.

Daly has scored loads of goals this season. How many times has the Sash been sung immediately after he scored? Just that once?

Is it not more likely that the fact that Daly scored had nothing to do with the fact that the Sash was sung?

I also find the OP's attempt to lump the Sash in with Super Rangers, songs on the UVF and FTP something similar to the kind of thing Spiers would do.

Doesn't matter though. These guys shouldn't be singing about the UVF, IRA, Bobby Sands or the Faulds.

At the rememberence game a few weeks ago, we had a dignified minutes silence then as soon as the whilstle sounded to mark the end of the minutes silence, BF1 started belting out 'Do you know where Hell is', totally disrespecting the moment and giving the 'enemies' of our Club an excuse to belittle our mark of respect and to point a finger at us for being jingoistic.

Doesn't matter though. These guys shouldn't be singing about the UVF, IRA, Bobby Sands or the Faulds.

At the rememberence game a few weeks ago, we had a dignified minutes silence then as soon as the whilstle sounded to mark the end of the minutes silence, BF1 started belting out 'Do you know where Hell is', totally disrespecting the moment and giving the 'enemies' of our Club an excuse to belittle our mark of respect and to point a finger at us for being jingoistic.

It is simply a problem of the "Ultra mentality". They do their own stuff. No disrespect to the true Rangers supporters amongst them. We have that over here for years. They do their stuff, no matter what, and once you start criticising them or the police/club/authorities go after them (no matter how minimal it is), the cry about "freedom of speech", police oppression and blocking of fan culture is given a full laldy. And that group (anarchistic) mentality runs deep amongst them. Much like with the boardroom stuff right now, you would hope that people would actually talk to one another, not throw Molotov cocktails from one trench to another ...

I've gpt criticisms of the UB's but to suggest that they are not all "true" Rangers supporters is out of order.

... generally, I would say so too. But I also know the German "Ultra" culture, be that football or ice hockey. And quite a few of these "fans" are of the "bandwaggon" variety rather than the "true" one, with the former being there for the fun and cameradery and being different from the rest. Again, I do not say or suggest that the UB is riddled with those, but likewise I'd be surprised if all have Rangers at heart.

" 'Super Rangers' for a start. It is going to have to go "

This must be the most rubbish song of all time. Written and composed by Millwall fans. Millwall! English League Division 3 South. Who wants to copy that?

Daly has scored loads of goals this season. How many times has the Sash been sung immediately after he scored? Just that once?

Is it not more likely that the fact that Daly scored had nothing to do with the fact that the Sash was sung?

I also find the OP's attempt to lump the Sash in with Super Rangers, songs on the UVF and FTP something similar to the kind of thing Spiers would do.

That's not what he did though.

When someone writes something as comprehensive and thoughtful as Andy's post it always makes me laugh when a poster will find the one small part of it they don't agree with and post about that. I've done it before too, we're a difficult bunch.