You say decimated i say strengthened. There is an exceptional bunch of kids bursting to come through. All 11 i named will be no use in the top tier so i don't see the point paying them for 2 further years only for the inevitable payoff or release to happen. Get rid now, we have two easy promotions coming up and save some money for when we will really need it.

If these kids are as exceptional as you say they'll break through into the first team anyway if they are that good. Never under-estimate the massive step up from youth leagues into the first team. Looking the part in a youth side is often not enough of an indicator as to whether a youngster has what it takes to hold down a first team place

Hutton ......... He should go for now, if only on loan. (Obviously, if we let him go, he might become a superstar. But IMHO it is his fault for not doing it at Ibrox, not ours.)

Like Charlie Adam perhaps?

Agree that another loan would be good for Hutton as his season's been wrecked by injury and the others you mention are all ahead of him, never mind Aird and Mackay.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo

I am a fan of Hutton and he worked hard in the summer because he knew this was a make or break season for him; I don't think he should be jettisoned just because he got a bad injury.

I doubt that if he goes it is because of that current injury. We are filled to the hilt in his position with Law, Macleod and Black, even Peralta and if asked Faure (plus some youngsters too). He hardly ever performed consistently last season and a handful of good games at the start of this season (to save his contract, a cynic might say) should not overshadow his lack of effort last season (and, it has to be said, attitude towards the support). How many last chances does a 22-year old need?

NB: BH ... yes, Charlie Adam was good at Liverpool, and is good at Stoke. Yet, how many Charlie Adams are actually out there? And how many others who's head/ego grew too big for Rangers, only to note that they are not as great as they thought they were?

The peripheral players will need to be dropped soon. Many of the first choice players will become peripheral. If this is not the case then we will struggle in the top league.

The problem is that our track record for moving players on is almost as bad as that for signing players. Hutton will not be going anywhere until he has recovered from a broken leg. Cribari is happy to see out his contract and will probably need to be paid to leave. I'm not sure who is in the market for Smith, Foster, Shiels or Templeton.

Smith is an indulgence we simply can't afford. It's all very well saying that we are one injury away from fielding an inexperienced player at LB; but what would be wrong with that in this League or the next one. What kind of message does it send out to young players when they see that kind of player between them and the team?

The message is that any young left back who isn't better than Smith can forget it.

Given the low opinion of Smith, among the support, you might think this would not be controversial.

Has Smith been a let-down on the park so far this season? When played as a LB?

No he hasn't let us down but that's not the issue.

He is understudy to Wallace who has played more games than any other player in the squad, therefore he has had few opportunities. He has started 4 games and from memory 2 or 3 of those were at left back and 1 or 2 in LMF. We have a plethora of other candidates for LMF.

So he is getting £1,700 a week (allegedly) to play a handful of games and at the same time keep a younger player out of the team on the few occasions that Wallace is unfit . And that is supposing he is fit himself. Smith's career hasd been dogged by injury, perhaps a reason why he failed to fulfil his early potential. He has never managed more than 24 games in one season and on average only plays 14 or 15 times. Not exactly the kind of player you would want to have on standby, I don't think.

Nothing against the guy, but I reckon he was very lucky Rangers picked him up and whether you view him as expensive or cheap, he is an indulgence we don't need.