No he hasn't let us down but that's not the issue.

He is understudy to Wallace who has played more games than any other player in the squad, therefore he has had few opportunities. He has started 4 games and from memory 2 or 3 of those were at left back and 1 or 2 in LMF. We have a plethora of other candidates for LMF.

So he is getting £1,700 a week (allegedly) to play a handful of games and at the same time keep a younger player out of the team on the few occasions that Wallace is unfit . And that is supposing he is fit himself. Smith's career hasd been dogged by injury, perhaps a reason why he failed to fulfil his early potential. He has never managed more than 24 games in one season and on average only plays 14 or 15 times. Not exactly the kind of player you would want to have on standby, I don't think.

Nothing against the guy, but I reckon he was very lucky Rangers picked him up and whether you view him as expensive or cheap, he is an indulgence we don't need.

Rather than cut the playing staff shouldn't the biggest priority be to cut the £10m non playing staff wage bill?

We didn't have a natural RB (aside from Cole and the writing was on the wall for him) and Foster is a decent pro, albeit prone to the occasional disastrous error. However, either one of Mitchel, Hegarty or better still McAusland would be more than good enough at this level.

Faure is a CB as was Argyriou. He played really well in my opinion at CB at the start of this season, he never looked troubled and was always trying to pass out of defence. If his qualities had been recognised last season, we didn't need Cribari and certainly don't need him now. I would be more than happy with Faure and Mohsni as our CBs.

Smith is an indulgence we simply can't afford. It's all very well saying that we are one injury away from fielding an inexperienced player at LB; but what would be wrong with that in this League or the next one. What kind of message does it send out to young players when they see that kind of player between them and the team?

Simonsen was another totally unnecessary indulgence at this level. It was useful to allow Gallagher out on loan but we didn't need Simonsen for that purpose. Alan Smith could sit on the bench.

I am a fan of Hutton and he worked hard in the summer because he knew this was a make or break season for him; I don't think he should be jettisoned just because he got a bad injury.

Little has scored goals consistently for us and IMHO is a good back up striker to Daly and Clark who would be my first choices.

Shiels simply didn't perform last season and I think he would be best out on loan as part of his recovery plan.

Templeton is a bit of an enigma. Clearly a very talented footballer who has proven himself at SPL level; but struggling to find a place in the team as he too builds up again from injury. Another loan candidate?

I think Peralta is good enough to go though the leagues with us and can play wide or in CMF.

Perry will never be good enough for us at any level.

The two players who I really want to see get a run in the team are Barry Mackay and Fraser Aird; both of whom seem more than capable to me of becoming good enough to play at SPL level.

Don't agree with some of this but it seems a more reasonable view than many. Can't agree on Peralta.

Is there a £10m non playing staff bill?

I thought the £10m was everything combined

In the sunday post today graham wallace stated that our wage bill was almost equal that of turnover so I would be tempted to think our total wage bill was £8m playing staff plus £10m non playing staff

Yet Little and Hutton have already proven they can play in the top division with Hutton at least showing up well in the CL against Man U. So you can't state as fact all 11 payers you named will be no use in the top teir. That's about as close to being factually incorrect as an opinion can be.

No they haven't. They were passengers in a very strong team. Little especially was out of his depth at that level. The fact you drag up the Man U game to backup any opinion of Hutton is laughable. One good game in around 60 proves he isn't good enough.

If someone were to suggest there are better players out there or even in our squad I would agree. But you can't state as fact that those 11 players aren't good enough for the SPL when some have already proven that as false.

But they haven't proven anything of the sort.

If these kids are as exceptional as you say they'll break through into the first team anyway if they are that good. Never under-estimate the massive step up from youth leagues into the first team. Looking the part in a youth side is often not enough of an indicator as to whether a youngster has what it takes to hold down a first team place

No they wouldn't. You know it and i know it.

No they wouldn't. You know it and i know it.

On the whole I think that's true; Ally has always tended to play even mediocre players he has brought in, ahead of the talented youngsters. But it might be changing a little. McLoed has essentially forced his way into the team and is noticeable on the rare occasions he has been absent. Two weeks ago, Aird started ahead of Peralta v Forfar and then kept his place ahead of Templeton against Ayr.