Remember that a number of players contracts will be running out @ the end of the season eg. Cribari & probably a few others....

Also, there is nothing in the reports stating that Ally HAS to cut the playing budget.....it is simply under review (along with every other cost dept.)

Simonsen, Cribari and Hutton are the only ones, so far as I know.

Simonsen, Cribari and Hutton are the only ones, so far as I know.

That's still 3 names that can be "disposed of" fairly easily - any immediate pay-off involved would be minimal I would imagine. They may also be on decent cash.

I doubt Smith and Foster will go anywhere. Also it is one thing for a player to be no use in the long term but that doesn't mean you don't want to use them in the short term.

I'd be quite happy to see Perry, Cribari and Peralta move on. Apart from that I'm not convinced about the need to cut the playing squad though. Apparently players wages come to 37% of turnover. If so then I think the problem lies elsewhere. Also, is £7m/37% really to much for the top league? If Wallace wants to improve things then I think he is best to keep strict control over the terms for any new players that come in. He could also do something about increasing revenue and cutting off-field costs.

We don't need them in the short term either. They are preventing our long term future from being developed.

We are not in the top league. By then the wag bill need to be at least £20m.

Increasing revenue is key here. That is an absolute must. I don't know many fans how have bought into this Puma deal, i certainly can't. Then there is the 51% Sports Direct deal. I want to know how much money our club is making from this merchandise deal signed by Green and Ashley before i plough an more money in. As for our sponsor, was Blackthorn really the best we could do, a nobody, a nothing name, was that the best we could do? Then there is everything else, ticket sales and the product on the park. Fans walking away bored. There are revenue streams everywhere that need looked at.

We severely weaken the squad. Results worsen. Less fans turn up. Costs us money.

Genius. Just genius.

Getting rid of all that shite leaves us with the 17 best players. Still a big enough squad and the first team not affected. Yeah, that is genius! If only we had the know how to get it done.

That's still 3 names that can be "disposed of" fairly easily - any immediate pay-off involved would be minimal I would imagine. They may also be on decent cash.

Why would they accept a minimal pay off when they can stay and earn full wages until the end of the season?

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing in the quotes that would warrant the headline our friend from the BBC made up. It is pure conjecture and he uses that as if it was fact - unless, our manager went straight to the banned ones - is rather telling. The list of decent journalists that I would give a Rangers press accreditation grows rather short by the day.

As for cutting the squad numbers ... unless someone wants to go, has a buyer or is willing to have his contract terminated, it will cost us money too. I would reckon not much less than keeping them at the club anyway for the time being. It is obviously a bit rich to go on about us signing people costing "too much" in wages at the start of last season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, aye? We got a bunch of seasoned pros (for free, bar Templeton) who helped us overcoming the first hurdle on our way back. Did anyone expect these people go from top-tier football into the fourth tier out of love for Rangers? Did anyone still believes, after what unfolded on the field of play from January 2013 onwards, that a bunch of half- and untried youngsters would have us seen safely through the SFL 3? With football that would have enticed 35k people to buy season tickets again? We were in a vulnerable and weak position back then - on nigh any frontier - lead by not so great business people. It is all fine and well to go on how bad that was. It would not do well though to swing the hatchet now just for the sake of it.

And it would be a pleasant change from the current mantra if the press et al would actually focus on how the experience of Somers, Nash and Wallace might bring in fresh money rather than going all down the same route.

Excellent news, long overdue. Our squad is a shambles anyway and needs gutted.

Perry, Hutton, Smith, Foster, Cribari, are a must to leave. McCulloch, Black, Hegarty, Mitchell, McAusland, Simonsen, Peralta, Shiels and even Daly are no use to us long term, i would let all of them go if possible. That is probably half of our overall playing wage bill there.

Only 2 players out of the first team in that list, with the league wrapped up it's the perfect time to go with some of the Under 20's to compliment the best of the rest.

You want rid of Black and Daly?

I take it you haven't watched us all season then.

Yes. I have only missed 1 game. Black is a passenger and offers us nothing and i don't rate Daly. Age, wage and ability all counting against him as we go forward as a club.

Regardless of your opinion then they are two guaranteed starters. So who you would replace them with?

Black ... is probably the most consistent player next to Wallace that we have. Keeps the midfield together and backs up Macleod and Law. That aside, he's (8) more assists than Wallace (7) this season.

If there was a "core" that I would defo maintain, it would be ...

Goal: Bell, Gallagher

Defence: Foster, Faure, Mohsni, Wallace (plus Smith, McAusland, Gasparotto, Mitchell)

Midfield: Peralta, Macleod, Black, Law, Aird (plus Crawford, McKay)

Strikers: Daly, Clark, Little

Edited by der Berliner