Hildy, I've been arguing for almost a decade that clinging to the baggage of the past will slowly see us driven beyond the pale.

Part of the reason I prefer a single owner is that s/he will generally be less interested in the baggage, indeed see it as the block to investment and progress it undoubtedly is. And part of the reason I fear fan ownership is that the first order of business for some would be to order new seats for the Govan so it could be a giant Union flag.

If you could persuade me that fan ownership meant leaving the baggage behind I think I would jump at it. Sadly, I think it would mean the exact opposite.

This is 'baggage' that I'd like to see dropped. It may not even may our 'countries' flag come the end of the year. People forget we used to be a fantastic football nation, until we became obsessed with this 'European dream'. We should be railing against competitions like the CL, not dreaming to be part of it. It's killing football in all the smaller countries. The rich will just get richer, until all that's left is the rich. Our desire to be a part of it has ruined Scottish football forever.

In smaller countries, like ours, one club eventually dominates it all. The others look on in envy, at something that has destroyed competitive football. As exciting a competition as the CL can be, it has slowly strangled football in Scotland, with us being the biggest victims. An Atlantic league of any sort isn't going to save us, it's just a smaller version of what's already doing the damage.

How many times have Scotland qualified for a major tournament since this festival of football we call the CL began? It's no coincidence.

This is 'baggage' that I'd like to see dropped. It may not even may our 'countries' flag come the end of the year.

Tbh this just makes me think we should promote it more.

May be wrong but that comment just smacks of you being part of the yes campaign and f.a. to do with Rangers and baggage.

Murray made a huge mistake not matching or exceeding Parkheads capacity back in the 90's. It was always going to hold us back in the future. This is just one tiny example of them having an upper hand on us. Financially we cannot compete with them either. Near 60000 crowds in Europe every year have helped them become Scotlands biggest football business and a decade long of near capacity attendances(up until a few years ago) have sewn the seeds of their upper hand.

I don't ever see is competing with them financially until we increase Ibrox capacity, whether we need it or not. All the big clubs around the world when building their new grounds are going for 60k plus, not 50k, those days are past, football has moved and we need to move with it.

It's ambitious and costly of course but will be there forever, the long term effects would be well worth it. Granted right now is not the time.

Couldn't agree more and in place of seats it was the screens which cost the club money. 57000 would have been great.

As for Lawwells reply - biggest yes, best far from it.

May be wrong but that comment just smacks of you being part of the yes campaign and f.a. to do with Rangers and baggage.

I was thinking about this yesterday after Andy's post and - without the thread getting into a pro or anti indepence mode - TTM is quite correct.

If there is a yes vote, and if we remain as attached to the Union Flag (which would cease to exist - or at least the blue part would) as we are now, how would we be perceived by the media and other fans?

You're welcome to think that, but you would be wrong. I have next to zero interest in political campaigns, and it won't really affect my life whatever way the vote goes. I do however find it fascinating how people are loyal to a flag that only uses them when required. I don't live in Scotland, so therefore am free from the occupation.

Democracy should always trump loyalty to the past. Probably best left for another thread. This ones becoming a childish tit-for-tat, about who has the best stadium.

This is 'baggage' that I'd like to see dropped. It may not even may our 'countries' flag come the end of the year. People forget we used to be a fantastic football nation, until we became obsessed with this 'European dream'. We should be railing against competitions like the CL, not dreaming to be part of it. It's killing football in all the smaller countries. The rich will just get richer, until all that's left is the rich. Our desire to be a part of it has ruined Scottish football forever.

In smaller countries, like ours, one club eventually dominates it all. The others look on in envy, at something that has destroyed competitive football. As exciting a competition as the CL can be, it has slowly strangled football in Scotland, with us being the biggest victims. An Atlantic league of any sort isn't going to save us, it's just a smaller version of what's already doing the damage.

How many times have Scotland qualified for a major tournament since this festival of football we call the CL began? It's no coincidence.

it's no coincidence we have stopped qualifying since seeding came into play. This was designed to stop things like England missing out between 1970 - 1982 as it hit TV revenues. Then they had to tweak it further because "big" countries like England still managed to cock up qualifying - 2008, for example never stopped them continuing as high seeds. Seeding in the CL and all other major tournaments is a way of keeping the last 8 places in the hands, more or less, of 10 possibilities = preferably 8!

Europe never killed Scottish football. Taking football out of the Schools and not replacing it with any sort of decent youth development put Scottish football where it is. Even now as far as I can see from a distance the grass roots youth development leaves a lot to be desired.

Europe never killed Scottish football. Taking football out of the Schools and not replacing it with any sort of decent youth development put Scottish football where it is. Even now as far as I can see from a distance the grass roots youth development leaves a lot to be desired.

How many quality players have Scotland produced in the last 20 years? Not only is the general standard terrible, but we never seem to ever produce elite level players. Wales have produced the likes of Giggs and Bale, why don't we? Well the answer isn't that difficult.

Even tiny wee countries like Montenegro come out with players like Vucinic and Jovetic. Even if the standard here is poor you would think by the law of averages a top player would come along. When is the last time a Scottish player really stood out in one of the top leagues?

How many quality players have Scotland produced in the last 20 years? Not only is the general standard terrible, but we never seem to ever produce elite level players. Wales have produced the likes of Giggs and Bale, why don't we? Well the answer isn't that difficult.

Even tiny wee countries like Montenegro come out with players like Vucinic and Jovetic. Even if the standard here is poor you would think by the law of averages a top player would come along. When is the last time a Scottish player really stood out in one of the top leagues?

Was that Scottish(plastic Irishman) that used to play for the tims not doing well in Russia. I can't be bothered even thinking of his name.