Lambert/Alan Hutton (nothing to do with current Rangers if you want to skip)

"Alan Hutton 'unlikely' to play for Aston Villa again

Defender Alan Hutton is unlikely to play again for Aston Villa because of the financial constraints at the club, admits manager Paul Lambert.

The 29-year-old, who earns a reported £40,000 a week, has not played for Villa since May 2012 and is training with the club's development squad.

Asked if Hutton would play for Villa again, Lambert replied: "It would be unlikely. He knows that.

"We need to get the [wage] structure down. There's never been any fall-out."

Hutton, whose contract expires in the summer of 2015, went on a one-month loan to Nottingham Forest in December 2012 before being loaned to Spanish side Real Mallorca the following month until the end of that campaign.

He has also continued to represent Scotland and won his 38th cap in last October's final World Cup qualifier, a 2-0 victory over Croatia.

"I wouldn't have thought it could carry on for another 12 months, into next season," Lambert added.

"I wouldn't want that for him. We need someone to come in for him.

"I've been to a couple of Scotland games and seen him do well. You'd think somebody would come in for him. The lad has to play.""

The wages are remarkable, I wonder how much he has made since moving South and pretty much not playing.

The bit I have italicised seems a little contradictory to the overall story!

Good luck to him, he's a better player than most give him credit although as a defender he's not exactly solid. It just shows the lunacy of the game down there when a decent journeyman type player can earn £40k a week, no wonder he's sitting tight training with the kids.

"Alan Hutton 'unlikely' to play for Aston Villa again

Defender Alan Hutton is unlikely to play again for Aston Villa because of the financial constraints at the club, admits manager Paul Lambert.

The 29-year-old, who earns a reported £40,000 a week, has not played for Villa since May 2012 and is training with the club's development squad.

Asked if Hutton would play for Villa again, Lambert replied: "It would be unlikely. He knows that.

"We need to get the [wage] structure down. There's never been any fall-out."

Hutton, whose contract expires in the summer of 2015, went on a one-month loan to Nottingham Forest in December 2012 before being loaned to Spanish side Real Mallorca the following month until the end of that campaign.

He has also continued to represent Scotland and won his 38th cap in last October's final World Cup qualifier, a 2-0 victory over Croatia.

"I wouldn't have thought it could carry on for another 12 months, into next season," Lambert added.

"I wouldn't want that for him. We need someone to come in for him.

"I've been to a couple of Scotland games and seen him do well. You'd think somebody would come in for him. The lad has to play.""

The wages are remarkable, I wonder how much he has made since moving South and pretty much not playing.

The bit I have italicised seems a little contradictory to the overall story!

It's not contradictory because Hutton not playing isn't anything to do with football ability. His salary and bonus structure are what is keeping him out of the squad and also what is stopping someone buying him. Lambert clearly rates him as a player but is under instruction not to play him as it will trigger further payments both to the player and to his previous club.

Why he can't go out on loan again though is a crime, he's basically lost a season of his career. He's being badly advised I feel, he must have already made a serious amount of money from football, he should be able to agree to rip up his Villa contract and leave on a free, he's unlikely to secure another £40k a week gig but he'd still get a significant salary from someone and as a free a hefty signing on fee whilst Villa save his salary.

I'm being naive regarding football player motivation I know.

for forty thousand a week he should sit and take the money , amazing wages for a right back .

He earns about 2/3 of what German international Mario Gomez is getting at Fiorentina these days.

You would hope that these sort of players deem their pensions secured, take a step back, take a "nominal wage" of say 2k and start playing for us again. Oh wait, he'll be 30 in November, so that will have some quarters up in arms. :hm:

BTW, wikipedia has him on a 30k a week deal with Villa since 2011.