Why do you ask?

Because Boyd always took penalties for a while. Nothing sinister I don't like him as one of the Ferguson gang and his lack of controlled football. I can't criticise his scoring record in Scotland.

Because Boyd always took penalties for a while. Nothing sinister I don't like him as one of the Ferguson gang and his lack of controlled football. I can't criticise his scoring record in Scotland.

I mentioned earlier that it was disappointing that football, historically, has not been particularly good at keeping match detail and goal tallies of strikers are a case in point.

Ally McCoist scored 355 goals for Rangers. Is it recorded anywhere how many were penalty kicks?

Jimmy McGrory is still the record goalscorer in Scotland, but unlike McCoist, he rarely took penalties, and of the three that he did take, two were missed.

Like you, I like to know how many career goals a striker scored from open play, from free kicks and from the penalty spot, but it doesn't seem to be officially recorded anywhere.

I mentioned earlier that it was disappointing that football, historically, has not been particularly good at keeping match detail and goal tallies of strikers are a case in point.

Ally McCoist scored 355 goals for Rangers. Is it recorded anywhere how many were penalty kicks?

Jimmy McGrory is still the record goalscorer in Scotland, but unlike McCoist, he rarely took penalties, and of the three that he did take, two were missed.

Like you, I like to know how many career goals a striker scored from open play, from free kicks and from the penalty spot, but it doesn't seem to be officially recorded anywhere.

Just to fill in as well taking a penalty is not something everyone can do. It does however give a great advantage to the taker on goal scoring numbers.

I think Boyd would be a good signing in place of Little, for example, and should score a lot of goals next season; whether he'll still be able to do it in the SPL by the time he's 32? Perhaps for a season, so I wouldn't give him longer than a 2 year deal.

Problem I see is it's hard to see Daly's wages sitting on the bench or in the stands, and it's equally hard to see Ally playing a genuine 2 up especially with two such immobile players as Daly and Boyd (even if Boyd has improved in that department) and then there's Miller. How would they all fit in? Boyd and Clark would seem like a reasonable combination with Aird and Templeton to supply the amunition and perhaps Miller off the bench or Clark off the bench for Miller?

Just to fill in as well taking a penalty is not something everyone can do. It does however give a great advantage to the taker on goal scoring numbers.

Indeed, however if you wanted to undermine a player like Boyd for scoring some of his goals from the spot, you would obviously have no issue with people making the same point about McCoist.

It seems though that a goal tally is a goal tally, and that there are no figures in brackets to indicate how many came from the spot.

It's a real pity that that there is no detail on this other than personal recollections.

Does anyone know how many Ally scored from the spot, and to be fair to him, he never missed a vital penalty for us except in a League Cup final against Celtic - and he quickly banged in the rebound!

I think Boyd would be a good signing in place of Little, for example, and should score a lot of goals next season; whether he'll still be able to do it in the SPL by the time he's 32? Perhaps for a season, so I wouldn't give him longer than a 2 year deal.

Problem I see is it's hard to see Daly's wages sitting on the bench or in the stands, and it's equally hard to see Ally playing a genuine 2 up especially with two such immobile players as Daly and Boyd (even if Boyd has improved in that department) and then there's Miller. How would they all fit in? Boyd and Clark would seem like a reasonable combination with Aird and Templeton to supply the amunition and perhaps Miller off the bench or Clark off the bench for Miller?

Miller isn't going to sign to be benched, particularly not for Clark, who has no future with us imo.

Indeed, however if you wanted to undermine a player like Boyd for scoring some of his goals from the spot, you would obviously have no issue with people making the same point about McCoist.

It seems though that a goal tally is a goal tally, and that there are no figures in brackets to indicate how many came from the spot.

It's a real pity that that there is no detail on this other than personal recollections.

Does anyone know how many Ally scored from the spot, and to be fair to him, he never missed a vital penalty for us except in a League Cup final against Celtic - and he quickly banged in the rebound!

I can't tell you exactly how many penalties Ally scored, but I don't think he ever surpassed Johnny Hubbard's record of 65 penalties for Rangers of which I think 54 were in the league giving Johnny Hubbard two penalty scoring records for his Rangers career.

Super Ally holds the following records: Most goals in all competitions (355); most league goals (251); most League Cup goals (54); most European goals (21); most hat-tricks (28)

So clearly, even if you deduct Ally's penalties which can't be any higher than Johnny Hubbard's two penalty records, then Ally would still have a remarkable goal scoring record.

There is indeed a record, but it's a record of the individual games, so someone would need to sit and do what I did for Boyd today in order to answer pete's question - check the report for each game to see if any penalties were scored.