Dundee United have signed teenage midfielder Charlie Telfer on a three-year deal after his contract with Rangers expired.

The Scotland Under-19 international had been with the Ibrox club for more than 10 years.

Telfer made his senior debut for the Light Blues in April in the 4-0 League One win over Stenhousemuir, playing 22 minutes off the bench.

United boss Jackie McNamara said: "Charlie is a very gifted footballer with great awareness and has excellent delivery from set pieces.

"His style of football will settle in perfectly with the rest of the young talent we are currently producing at the club.

"He is a sensible, level-headed young man who wants to play for Dundee United and I am delighted that we have secured his services for the next three years."

Telfer said: "I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team and that has been a big reason in my decision to join the club.

"The opportunity to play in the Scottish Premiership next season was also something I could not turn down.

"When I met the manager and saw the facilities that are available at St Andrews, I know that I can further my football development at Dundee United."

SSN ... already endearing himself to the Arabs. Didn't know that they actually train at the University's sports complex.

Now, what's the development fee then?

I expect he meant bringing in 6. One way or the other. I do know he was desperate to but gunning though with the Telfer money.

But is he seriously bringing in six players to the first team squad ? Did he actually say that to someone?

But is he seriously bringing in six players to the first team squad ? Did he actually say that to someone?

That's what he wants to do. Whether we can or will do it is debatable but are young lads really to hang about and hope we fail to sign players.

That's what he wants to do. Whether we can or will do it is debatable but are young lads really to hang about and hope we fail to sign players.

Do we know who the six are? Surely he won't do what he usually does I.e. Sign whoever is available rather than signing players for positions which need strengthening e.g. RB

Do we know who the six are? Surely he won't do what he usually does I.e. Sign whoever is available rather than signing players for positions which need strengthening e.g. RB

Who knows. Gunning was one he wanted for sure. Miller and boyd obvious other candidates.

My big worry is we end up with a squad of quantity rather than quality.Any players signed this summer must be more than capable of playing in the top flight next season and achieving a finish of at least second place

My big worry is we end up with a squad of quantity rather than quality.Any players signed this summer must be more than capable of playing in the top flight next season and achieving a finish of at least second place

Something all 3 coaches categorically stated would not happen. Last season we carried a squad of over 30 first team players, almost half of whom were complete passengers.