I see no issue with the 4-2-3-1 formation - if it is used correctly!!!

Part of our problem has been that the 3 advanced midfielders have generally sat too deep, effectively giving us a 5-man midfield. This is fine when the team is under pressure from the opposition, they have been too slow pushing back up the pitch in support of the main striker.

We saw some glimpses last season that it could work VERY effectively. On these rare occasions the whole team tended to sit higher up the pitch, putting all the pressure on the opposition.

Agreed. After the first few months of the season (and after Macleod got injured) neither Law or anyone else got into the box to support the attack anywhere near enough.

All this resulted in was a busier midfield and less room for the more creative players to operate when they did get the ball.

We have the potential with Miller and Boyd (persuming he signs) to be an attacking team, that depends on Ally of course and whether he is willing to take a gamble on attacking passing football. Or defensive, long ball, lone striker, two passes forward one pass back type we played all too much the last few seasons.

Haha - my mistake with the midfield! :D

I absolutely know it's unlikely for McCoist to adopt something more expansive but it just wouldn't surprise me given Miller's acquisition. Clearly the personnel I selected could be changed as well with Peralta, Wallace and Smith all used in wider areas with Faure in defence instead.

Like I say, it's unlikely - 4-2-3-1 being most probable again - but I'd find it interesting and, if done properly, perhaps it would be more attractive to some of the fans eager for change in the way we play.

One thing seems certain and that's the manager won't be going anywhere so what style do you think he should opt for?

All it would do is make us get gubbed every week IMO. 4-2-3-1 is the main formation in world football now and is excellent if played correctly. The trouble is the manager.

I think it's about as likely as Neil Lennon being our next manager.

I see no issue with the 4-2-3-1 formation - if it is used correctly!!!

Part of our problem has been that the 3 advanced midfielders have generally sat too deep, effectively giving us a 5-man midfield. This is fine when the team is under pressure from the opposition, they have been too slow pushing back up the pitch in support of the main striker.

We saw some glimpses last season that it could work VERY effectively. On these rare occasions the whole team tended to sit higher up the pitch, putting all the pressure on the opposition.

The vast majority of teams across Europe play 4-2-3-1. Problem is like Walter before Ally, the striker is always completely isolated and the outlook is far too negative.

Essentially, once we had the ball, we often switched to a 2 at the back, 3 at most. The game is dynamic and footballers should take responsibilities when need arises, e.g. Law or Macleod covering the place of an advancing CH or fullback.

As I said before, I wouldn't mind a back 4 with Faure - Mohsni - McGregor - Wallace, where Mohsni generally acts as a sweeper just in front of the defence. Faure can cover right back and CH slots should Mohsni decides to go forward. It all depends on the opposition though. Utilizing Mohsni in there should free the place of a defensive midfielder ...

Bell

Faure - McGregor - Wallace

Mohsni

Templeton - Law - Macleod - Aird

Miller - Boyd/Daly/Clark

There is enough pace in there to cover defense and midfield, should we lose the ball. Again, that is just one line up. This can and should be adjusted pending on opponents and state of play. If there e.g. is next to no thread from the opposition, why would we need a back four?

Because when there seems next to no threat from the opposition, that is exactly when a 3 man defence gets exposed on the counter attack.

This season has to be all about preparing for the top division. Get the players style and system in place that can win the spl and give them a year to gel. So when we hit the spl we are winning. Used to playing together and scoring for fun.

Put some fear in the opposition for our return.

We should be seeking to win every game handsomely

This season has to be all about preparing for the top division. Get the players style and system in place that can win the spl and give them a year to gel. So when we hit the spl we are winning. Used to playing together and scoring for fun.

None of them will be there after the £50m of investment. :P

Fully agree here. No messing about with formations, get a system in place that will work in the SPL. We should have done this from the SFL3 up.

I think having Hearts & Hibs in the league will work in our favour in this regard. We will be up against professional teams every week - the players must make sure they are prepared for that.

Simply winning a game should never be enough for RFC. We must show the SPFL sides that we are a team to be feared!!!!