Red cards received by other players of others teams this or last season and whether they were listed among the 25 of the following matches despite being "suspended".

They don’t need to be included, but if they are not, their suspension stays in force.

Nothing I have seen for this year, but Budocnost Podgorica v Neftchi Baku and ND Mura v Arsenal Kyiv in the EL 2010/2011. There was also the case of Lee Bowyer at Newcastle when he had a six match ban.

So in essence, UEFA either require a list from every club for "all" players to be registered for their European games - 25 of those can be selected for any one game. Or their require a list of 25 players for each game who are registered with the club. If the latter is the case, do they actually force clubs to list all suspended players and thus weakening the pool a manager can chose from, just for the sake that they are deemed "registered" for a certain amount of games? Thus essentially doubling the damage to the club in question - i.e. not only is the player send-off during a game, he can also not be chosen for a certain number of future games and the manager is furthermore restricted in is choice of selection?

There are two lists A and B. The A list is the list of 25 players for each round.

There are separate dates for each the qualifying rounds then a final deadline of 2 September 2014 for the rest of the competition.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/09/88/17/2098817_DOWNLOAD.pdf (page 34 Rule 18.13)

FWIW the whole thing reeks to the high heavens. It looks to me like 'they' have been unduly assisted within UEFA.Shocking but thats the way these people operate. Corrupt, biased and working to their own agenda for their own.

Had the player played in any of the first three European games for Legia then you could say they had blatantly broken the rules. This was a genuine error whichever way you want to look at it which merited nothing more than a fine. He was given a 3 game ban and served a 3 game ban. What sort of rules honestly expect a club to register a suspended player for a game he cant play in ? It is the rule which is wrong not Legia Warsaw. Trying to differentiate between an ineligible player and a suspended player is laughable too

Edited by RANGERRAB

FWIW the whole thing reeks to the high heavens. It looks to me like 'they' have been unduly assisted within UEFA.Shocking but thats the way these people operate. Corrupt, biased and working to their own agenda for their own.

Had the player played in any of the first three European games for Legia then you could say they had blatantly broken the rules. This was a genuine error whichever way you want to look at it which merited nothing more than a fine. He was given a 3 game ban and served a 3 game ban. What sort of rules honestly expect a club to register a suspended player for a game he cant play in ? It is the rule which is wrong not Legia Warsaw. Trying to differentiate between an ineligible player and a suspended player is laughable too

Celtic are through because an ineligible player was fielded. Believe it or not, the entire world isn't plotting for their dominance. They are a complete and utter irrelevance in world football

Do you really think UEFA are plotting some sort of master tim conspiracy? The old firm are a fucking irrelevance to world football. We are tiny teams.

Most people will have a great deal of sympathy with your opinion but sadly there IS a diiference between an ineligible player (by way of registration error for example) and a suspended player and it was up to Legia to know the Rules, which apparently they didn't, so it's got nothing to do with corruption, at best it's an error on their part plain and simple.

Consider also why have we never heard of this happening before?

Could it be that that is because all the other Clubs who participate in the CL know and follow the Rules?

All that said, the penalty should not be mandatory and hopefully UEFA will change it for next season onwards.

Most people will have a great deal of sympathy with your opinion but sadly there IS a diiference between an ineligible player (by way of registration error for example) and a suspended player and it was up to Legia to know the Rules, which apparently they didn't, so it's got nothing to do with corruption, at best it's an error on their part plain and simple.

Consider also why have we never heard of this happening before?

Could it be that that is because all the other Clubs who participate in the CL know and follow the Rules?

All that said, the penalty should not be mandatory and hopefully UEFA will change it for next season onwards.

I really don't see how it can be anything other than mandatory.

An extreme example, but would it be a satisfactory outcome if Real Madrid 'inadvertently' played an under suspension Christiano Ronaldo in the CL final and received a paltry fine for their 'administrative error'?

Clubs cannot be given the option to choose when their players miss a game. It would inevitably lead to abuse.

I really don't see how it can be anything other than mandatory.

An extreme example, but would it be a satisfactory outcome if Real Madrid 'inadvertently' played an under suspension Christiano Ronaldo in the CL final and received a paltry fine for their 'administrative error'?

Clubs cannot be given the option to choose when their players miss a game. It would inevitably lead to abuse.

Of course they can't and no doubt that's why the rule is written as mandatory forfeiture of the match in respect of playing suspended players but the penalty is discretionary in respect of ineligible players.

However, I don't think your analogy is quite true. It's not that Legia "chose" when to take the suspension, in fact it's almost the opposite; absent any evidence of deliberate wrong doing, they thought the player had served his suspension but it turns out according to the Rules he had not.

In your example if the "error" was of the same or similar nature, and to all extents and purposes the suspension had been served, then a fine may well be an appropriate penalty. The penalty should not be dependent on the team or player involved.

I could see your point better if a club said: we need the player for our next match so we will defer the suspension to the next round or the next time we are in Europe. Ludicrous suggestion, not necessarily; think of all the times that Clubs appeal in domestic football to avoid an immediate suspension. Fortunately in Europe, the Appeal process is expedited to avoid that situation.

I do think that discretion is required here to avoid just the kind of ludicrous situation in which UEFA now find themselves. If that was tried and led to anomolous decisons then the mandatory rule could be reimposed. It should be writtten in such a way as to make clear that ordinarily forfeiture WOULD be the penalty unless under exceptional circumstances and it would be up to the Committee to decide what constituted "exceptional circumstances".

So all that is really needed here is insertion of the words "except under exceptional circumstances".

Sorted :D

Of course they can't and no doubt that's why the rule is written as mandatory forfeiture of the match in respect of playing suspended players but the penalty is discretionary in respect of ineligible players.

However, I don't think your analogy is quite true. It's not that Legia "chose" when to take the suspension, in fact it's almost the opposite; absent any evidence of deliberate wrong doing, they thought the player had served his suspension but it turns out according to the Rules he had not.

In your example if the "error" was of the same or similar nature, and to all extents and purposes the suspension had been served, then a fine may well be an appropriate penalty. The penalty should not be dependent on the team or player involved.

I could see your point better if a club said: we need the player for our next match so we will defer the suspension to the next round or the next time we are in Europe. Ludicrous suggestion, not necessarily; think of all the times that Clubs appeal in domestic football to avoid an immediate suspension. Fortunately in Europe, the Appeal process is expedited to avoid that situation.

I do think that discretion is required here to avoid just the kind of ludicrous situation in which UEFA now find themselves. If that was tried and led to anomolous decisons then the mandatory rule could be reimposed. It should be writtten in such a way as to make clear that ordinarily forfeiture WOULD be the penalty unless under exceptional circumstances and it would be up to the Committee to decide what constituted "exceptional circumstances".

So all that is really needed here is insertion of the words "except under exceptional circumstances".

Sorted :D

I certainly don't believe that Legia were cheating, they just didn't know the regulations - and that is almost as bad. Even after the announcement was made, Henning Berg was still going on about the Debrecen 'precedent' that isn't.

We shall have to agree to disagree on the rule itself and how it is written.

We can only watch there appeal and pray for a little luck and they win the appeal. Much ad I don't think it will happen. It would send timmy into overdrive now if they got it whipped from under there noses now. (Not that I expect it to happen but I've consigned myself to hoping that they do)

Legia appeal upheld. Take Celtic's place in Champions League.

Maribor head of security Slobodan Slosovic breathes sigh of relief as plans to build special "cages" to house visiting fans are suspended and Scottish Polish fans still recovering from injuries sustained at Tynecastle are declared unfit to travel.

Celtic now away to Steaua Bucharest in ELQ4.

A Bucharest Police spokesperson said - we remember those wild Glasgow fans from the Unirea match, we couldn't stop them with tear gas and pepper spray, unaccountably they still wanted to lay down their banners and watch the game in peace. We'll nuke them this time.

Local taxi drivers once again promise special tourist rates for visiting fans.