If we were in Celtic's position, and I know that money is hugely important in football these days, especially at Rangers, I would not want to be reinstated.

When you get roundly gubbed, as Celtic were, there is no real satisfaction in being reinstated. Just embarrassment tinged with guilt.

They don't care about guilt, they will bank at least £15m from this decision.

As Rangersitis points out they didn't have to appeal in this case; that only aplies for an ineligible player not a suspended player and like it or not tecchnically the player was suspended because he wasn't registered to serve the ban earlier. Crazy but true.

Sorry I cant even be arsed going to read up on it i just feel sick with it.

I was under immpression they actually put in the protest for UEFA to investigate. sorry if i was wrong,

UEFA makes a big deal about fair play. Rules or no rules, this decision goes against the fair play ethos in the eyes of most football fans. To stick slavishly to the rule is against the interests of UEFA and its fair play initiative.

Most football fans would not expect to see Real Madrid or Barcelona dismissed like this. They want merit to win the day over maladministration. Legia is going to appeal and they certainly have a reasonable case for leniency to be applied.

If Celtic had did what Legia did and UEFA had come out and ran roughshod over their own rulebook there would be uproar.

Similarly, if Rangers had been in Celtic's position they wouldn't be relinquishing their place in European competition in a show of Corinthian spirit.

If Celtic had did what Legia did and UEFA had come out and ran roughshod over their own rulebook there would be uproar.

Similarly, if Rangers had been in Celtic's position they wouldn't be relinquishing their place in European competition in a show of Corinthian spirit.

Would there be uproar if Real Madrid or Barcelona did what Legia did - and received a fine as a punishment?

Would there be uproar if Real Madrid or Barcelona did what Legia did - and received a fine as a punishment?

Yes. The rules are quite clear.

Not the same scenario, but Rangers owed their biggest triumph to the rule book being used to alter a result.

Yes. The rules are quite clear.

Not the same scenario, but Rangers owed their biggest triumph to the rule book being used to alter a result.

The rules may indeed be quite clear, but an appeal for a more lenient punishment is perfectly reasonable here.

If this happened to a major Spanish club, I fully expect a way to be found not to have them suffer on the park, but instead have them pay a fine.

And there would not be any uproar at such a decision.

Rules should be challenged when they appear to support injustice. This rule is in place for good reason, but it is making a farce of UEFA's fair play ethos.

People want natural justice to prevail. This rule is standing in the way of that outcome. Football fans don't want emphatic triumphs overturned because of an administrative error that is unlikely to be construed as an attempt to cheat or gain an advantage.

They just want to see the better team being rewarded by advancement in the competition.