I still don't see a Report of the procedure on UEFA's site but this has been added to the match report.

Following the conclusion of the tie, Legia Warszawa were sanctioned for fielding a suspended player (article 18 of the UEFA Champions League regulations and article 21 of the Disciplinary Regulations). The match was declared as forfeit, meaning Legia lost the second leg 3-0.

As a consequence, Celtic qualified for the UEFA Champions League play-offs on away goals (agg: 4-4) and Legia went into the UEFA Europa League play-offs. The original match report is below.

The mix-up by Legia lies in the exclusion of Bereszynski from their squad for the two second qualifying round matches with St Patrick’s Athletic earlier in the competition.

The player was due to serve a three-match suspension after a red card in the UEFA Europa League last term and Legia believed his absence from the two games, as well as the first leg against Celtic, cleared him to play in Scotland.

However Bereszynski was not included on Legia’s squad list submitted to UEFA for the St Patrick’s Athletic games.

As a result, his suspension was not served and, following his subsequent inclusion on the squad list to face Celtic, he should have served the second of his three-match ban in the tie at Murrayfield on Wednesday night.

Polish Soca

As far as we know, Bereszynski was a player at Legia last season and he is now. There is no reason to believe that he was not registered inbetween. Furthermore, AFAIK, Legia did not hand in their full compliment of 25 players for the St. Patricks game(s), apparently believing that they do not have to list Bereszynski as he was serving a ban. That UEFA put such a serious stance at a technicality beggars belief, they might simply have asked whether Bereszynski was able to play these games (we live in the 21st century, so that can be easily verified) or whether he was injured. (Of course, they could still have included an injured Bereszynski on the sheet and that would have fulfilled UEFA's demands ... silly a it sounds.) By default, Bereszynski served his time out and to point on registrations for the game he missed is stretching it. Not to mention the whole impact he could have made on the game. Worringly, UEFA chose to ignore their own precedent ...

However, in 2010, Uefa fined Debrecen £15,000 but rejected a protest from opponents Litex Lovech, who wanted the Hungarian side kicked out of the tournament for fielding an ineligible player.

Debrecen argued that they fielded Peter Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when they were leading 4-1 on aggregate.

Uefa ruled that Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favour".

They clearly messed this up, possibly due to the lack of time. It will not be revoked, as the draw has been made and would have to be retaken, as the Yahoos were seeded, while Legia was not. It is a real shambles and has nothing to do with the fairnis and sporting integrity that UEFA aims to uphold.

Polish Soca

As far as we know, Bereszynski was a player at Legia last season and he is now. There is no reason to believe that he was not registered inbetween. Furthermore, AFAIK, Legia did not hand in their full compliment of 25 players for the St. Patricks game(s), apparently believing that they do not have to list Bereszynski as he was serving a ban. That UEFA put such a serious stance at a technicality beggars belief, they might simply have asked whether Bereszynski was able to play these games (we live in the 21st century, so that can be easily verified) or whether he was injured. (Of course, they could still have included an injured Bereszynski on the sheet and that would have fulfilled UEFA's demands ... silly a it sounds.) By default, Bereszynski served his time out and to point on registrations for the game he missed is stretching it. Not to mention the whole impact he could have made on the game. Worringly, UEFA chose to ignore their own precedent ...

They clearly messed this up, possibly due to the lack of time. It will not be revoked, as the draw has been made and would have to be retaken, as the Yahoos were seeded, while Legia was not. It is a real shambles and has nothing to do with the fairnis and sporting integrity that UEFA aims to uphold.

The Debrecen game isn't precedent where this incident is concerned. I have posted two matches which show precedent further up the thread.

Use whatever term suits.

His name would have been entered on the squad list v St.Pats. When it was received by UEFA they would have removed on of the games from his suspension. And so on.

There are countless players at clubs who don't get registered to play in matches for various reasons. UEFA couldn't enquire about every one of them.

A complaint from Celtic wouldn't have been needed for a suspended player and I have no idea if it came from them. I haven't seen anything stating that.

Yes I can see all that happening and UEFA's use of the term "sanctioned" rather than any reference to a disciplinary case or protest supports your theory, so when UEFA get the team lines for the second leg v Celtic the flag drops on the player because technically he still has two matches of his ban to serve. May well be exactly what happened.

But this still implies that all this happened at the speed of light, possible if as I said the team lines were submittted electronically, otherwise it still leaves a lingering doubt about the procedure.

This is quite helpful

Celtic have been reinstated in the Champions League after Legia Warsaw were ejected from the competition for fielding an ineligible player, UEFA has announced.

Polish side Legia won their third qualifying round tie against the Scottish champions 6-1 on aggregate, but were found to have fielded an ineligible player in the second leg on Wednesday night by European football's governing body.

Bartosz Bereszynski, who was an 86th-minute substitute at Murrayfield, was sent off for violent conduct against Apollon in the final match of Legia's Europa League campaign last season.

The full-back missed both of Legia's matches against St Patrick's in the second qualifying round and sat out the 4-1 first-leg victory over Celtic. Celtic have been drawn against Maribor in the play-off round.

UEFA's investigation centred on whether the player was registered in Legia's squad against the Irish side in order to allow a three-match suspension to take effect.

Champions League regulations state that players must be registered with UEFA within requested deadlines and that "only eligible players can serve pending suspensions."

UEFA's disciplinary regulations say a match may be forfeited if an ineligible player participates, "as long as the opposing team files a protest".

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/330605.html#Ad7DzXygkrT1q3AM.99

So again it goes back to how did Celtic know to file the protest?

the whole thing stinks of corruption, twice in a couple of years they've manged to somehow get in the back door after being destroyed by the hands of the other team.

you're telling me when match officials get the team sheets and they see the players names on it, they don't question it then? instead leave it till an hour after the game is done, nah it stinks

its complete horse shit.

The fact they have drawn Maribor too as they got the seeded draw just makes me feel sick. They will fucking scrape a win now likely, and then get the monies of the champions league group stages. It will be bitter sweet to see them getting totally humilated against some decent teams, but dear god, i would rather they were not playing at all.

makes me feel utter sick this, Even dickhead tendermeatballs was predicting a fine and no more. shower of corrupt bar stewards.

Just another normal week in Scotland... bhaa

The fact they have drawn Maribor too as they got the seeded draw just makes me feel sick. They will fucking scrape a win now likely, and then get the monies of the champions league group stages. It will be bitter sweet to see them getting totally humilated against some decent teams, but dear god, i would rather they were not playing at all.

makes me feel utter sick this, Even dickhead tendermeatballs was predicting a fine and no more. shower of corrupt bar stewards.

Just another normal week in Scotland... bhaa

Even worse they are now GUARANTEED group stage games in one of the competitions; becuase if they lose to Maribor they'll drop into the EL. Of course if they beat Maribor, we'll never here the end of that either.