Perfect thread title, in hindsight. Someone at Legia has obviously dropped the ball, but the punishment hardly fits the crime. The problem here is the harshness of the rule/punishment. It seems that UEFA leave little wriggle room for a more appropriate sanction. In light of that, it's the clubs responsibility to make sure everything is checked, and then double checked.

To think that a low level employee/administrator can undo all the hard work of players/management is just sickening. This is scraping the barrel of technicalites, but expecting any club to look a gift horse in the mouth is wishful thinking at best.

With regards to how it affects us, I don't think it matters too much. We are so far behind them financially, that it might as well be an extra £100m they get gifted. At least this way, we get to see them either horsed by Maribor, or royally pumped 6 times in the group stages. Every cloud loyal.

Unlike you to be so pedantic! If away goals count double in the event of a tie, effectively it was 5-4.

I made the point about the penalties in the sentence you quoted.

I've never understood why people use this 'away goals count double' conception as it doesn't work. If you draw 0-0 at home and lose 3-2 away, that would mean you win 4-3 on aggregate etc...

I've never understood why people use this 'away goals count double' conception as it doesn't work. If you draw 0-0 at home and lose 3-2 away, that would mean you win 4-3 on aggregate etc...

Is it not something like 'away goals count double in the event of a tie'?

It only applies when the teams otherwise finish level (AET if applicable).

I think I've figured out why the registration aspect is so important here.

If, as appears to be the case, Legia didn't register the suspended player before the St Patricks game then they can register and play the full compliment of 25 players; but if they are forced to register the suspended player so that he "uses" his suspension, then they can only use 24 of the 25 registered players. So by not registering him, albeit by mistake, they had an extra player to choose from in the St Particks match.

I think I've figured out why the registration aspect is so important here.

If, as appears to be the case, Legia didn't register the suspended player before the St Patricks game then they can register and play the full compliment of 25 players; but if they are forced to register the suspended player so that he "uses" his suspension, then they can only use 24 of the 25 registered players. So by not registering him, albeit by mistake, they had an extra player to choose from in the St Particks match.

That seems to make sense.

I wonder - would the administration people at the club have done this thinking that they were being cute, and would the manager have been in on it, or did someone just look at the squad and name 25 available players perfectly innocently?

I know you don't know, but what's your best guess?

I wonder if the only good thing to come out of this will be that any team who might meet C1888c in any competition at any level will make sure that before a ball is kicked, that their paperwork is in order.

Oh, and make sure that they double check the scum's paperwork for any possible mistake on any player, coach, water boy etc.

How must the rest of Europe be looking at C1888c now?

That seems to make sense.

I wonder - would the administration people at the club have done this thinking that they were being cute, and would the manager have been in on it, or did someone just look at the squad and name 25 available players perfectly innocently?

I know you don't know, but what's your best guess?

I'm guessing that it was a genuine error; but one which the Rules are designed to avoid Clubs exploiting.

Unless you read the CL Rules very carefully in conjunction with the Disciplinary Rules you would think that you wouldn't need to register a suspended player. The fact that they registered him for the Celtic match, even "knowing" he couldn't play in the first leg, supports that view. I think you really have to read between the lines, to avoid the pifall that they fell into.

So I guess it may have been a bit of both. They wanted to have 25 players registered who could play in the St Pats match but didn't realise that that meant that the suspended player wouldn't "serve" two matches of the suspension. It's an easy mistake to make. My guess is the Manager had to be involved in that decision; but Managers aren't renowned for being rule book anoraks.

They may have thought there was a loophole in the Rules; but they were wrong.

The more I think about it; the lesss chance I think they have on Appeal.

I would guess they have an almost zero chance of a successful appeal, but that doesn't mean that the system isn't fundamentally flawed. I'm surprised that more clubs haven't fallen foul of it before. A much simpler system would be UEFA letting clubs know when a suspended player is eligible for selection again. It would remove all chances of human error on the clubs part, and in turn, stopping fans watching in effect meaningless matches.

It's fairly obvious there was no serious foul play, or an intent to gain any advantage, but it seems UEFA's own rules have them limited in what action they must take. It's farcical when you consider the amounts of money that now ride on these games.

I wonder if the only good thing to come out of this will be that any team who might meet C1888c in any competition at any level will make sure that before a ball is kicked, that their paperwork is in order.

Oh, and make sure that they double check the scum's paperwork for any possible mistake on any player, coach, water boy etc.

How must the rest of Europe be looking at C1888c now?

Another point for the coefficient? :facepalm: