Despite the journey being almost done and the team does what is expected of them, i.e. winning games.

Two things.

This romantic notion of a 'journey back to the top' that was concocted up through a mixture of bravado and disbelief soon turned sour once reality bit. If you want to continue believing in it, fill your boots, but most other folk have woken up by now.

Simply winning games isn't what millions of fans have expected throughout the club's history. This apparent acceptance of 'winning ugly', no matter who the opposition is, has had it's own part to play in how attractive Rangers are as a club.

Edited by Rangersitis

Two things.

This romantic notion of a 'journey back to the top' that was concocted up through a mixture of bravado and disbelief soon turned sour once reality bit. If you want to continue believing in it, fill your boots, but most other folk have woken up by now.

Simply winning games isn't what millions of fans have expected throughout the club's history. This apparent acceptance of 'winning ugly', no matter who the opposition is, has had it's own part to play in how attractive Rangers are as a club.

Good or bad, it's still my club. If you don't mind, sunshine, I'll hang in there for a while yet. I've got big boots to fill. If you don't like it the choice is yours.

Two things.

Three years away from the top tier is an eternity. Before the implosion, we had fans suggesting that the League Cup should be abolished or for under 21 teams only. Now, the winning of it would be lauded as one of our greatest triumphs. Before the implosion, we had fans dismissing the UEFA Cup as the Thursday Cup - a poor man's CL. Now, just being in it would be hailed as an achievement.

Before the implosion, we thought we were invincible. Now, at last, the penny has finally dropped. We're not, and we never were.

This romantic journey has been notable for one thing only - the complete absence of romance.

Three years away from the top tier is an eternity. Before the implosion, we had fans suggesting that the League Cup should be abolished or for under 21 teams only. Now, the winning of it would be lauded as one of our greatest triumphs. Before the implosion, we had fans dismissing the UEFA Cup as the Thursday Cup - a poor man's CL. Now, just being in it would be hailed as an achievement.

Before the implosion, we thought we were invincible. Now, at last, the penny has finally dropped. We're not, and we never were.

This romantic journey has been notable for one thing only - the complete absence of romance.

We still have a club. Romance enough.

As I've said before, I think a lot of it is how the lower tier teams set up against us, and we while we have the quality to win the vast majority of the time, we don't have enough not to have to graft for it.

I thought moving to the current league would make a difference and teams would fancy their chances more rather than stifling the game to avoid a humiliation but even the likes of Hearts killed the game after they scored and they were a higher level where our players didn't have many clues how to crack the wall. Yet, they still managed to graft for it for the equaliser and then immediately switched off, which might be a lack of experience at that level.

I think Clyde were different as Bazza probably primed them to play some football and we see how poor that made them, with our players enjoying the freedom to play it offered. Similar thing with Dumbarton. However, all that's done is show the smaller clubs which tactics work best, even if you're unlikely to get a result.

What other explanation is there for the same players having a couple of good games and then one that's less so? What did Ally do wrong this time when he was obviously after a repeat? You can't blame the line-up as it didn't change much and I doubt he kept the same side and then radically changed the tactics - or the training...

For me, as I've said before, while Ally can get his sides to win, he doesn't seem have the invention of new ideas that are needed to not only beat these sides but to do it more fluidly and more convincingly on a weekly basis. Although, to be fair to him, I doubt there are more than a few managers that do, and certainly almost unicorn-like for our chances of employing one.

I do expect some better games in the first half of the season due to some of the Championship sides trying to play us but I expect it will deteriorate in the second half if that mostly doesn't work for them.

I still think people are doing "pointless comarisons" with Rangers sides that had top class players, which make the huge difference. Second-class players have always brought us second class football in my lifetime, be-it Greig, Wallace (II), Eck (laterly), Le Guen or Smith (II). Even our world 11's that we've seen struggled to produce free flowing football a lot of the time under Souness, Smith (I) and Advocaat with two of them having seasons where even the results were well below our expectations from our financial advantage.

I now expect (and hope) us to rise up a gear in the cups against S.Prem sides like ICT due to our experienced signings and our players getting used to playing at a slightly higher level, but still suspect such games will be frantic. Ally desperately needs a top tier scalp right now, as his record against them in the cups is not good.

Two things.

Maybe you leave it to me what I'm thinking and don't start to interpret your belief of what I might be thinking. None of what you wrote above is close to what I said or how I feel.