'

They all need to work together in order to show that it is a serious venture, but even with an agreement in place, they would still be well short of having a say in how things are run. Matching Ashley's smallish 9% holding is achievable with proxies, but his is backed up by having powerful allies on the board plus a bottomless pit of money which can be used if a problem needs fixing.

Fan ownership will only ever be achievable with the right owners of the club introducing it to the masses, building it up over a period of years. Even that may not take off as there are many within the support who have no interest in being an owner, they just want something to do every second weekend. Until then, the monies coming in are not sufficient to keep pace with the dilutions which can be manipulated by those with the financial muscle and the board control. It is a long-term plan at best.

Quite so. But even a relatively small fan holding could provide an irritation or decide a close vote. If everyone who had a season ticket last year also had a 50 or a hundred quids worth of shares (assuming they could get them) that would be a decent amount of clout of wielded properly.

'

Quite so. But even a relatively small fan holding could provide an irritation or decide a close vote. If everyone who had a season ticket last year also had a 50 or a hundred quids worth of shares (assuming they could get them) that would be a decent amount of clout of wielded properly.

I don't disagree with your 'if they did', although I will counter it with 'but they didn't'.

For whatever reasons, and there are many, fan ownership has not been embraced by those who need to do so. Until that changes, the good intentions of passionate supporters will not be enough. It is easy to say that they have failed, but it just might be that their attempts were always doomed. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

I don't disagree with your 'if they did', although I will counter it with 'but they didn't'.

For whatever reasons, and there are many, fan ownership has not been embraced by those who need to do so. Until that changes, the good intentions of passionate supporters will not be enough. It is easy to say that they have failed, but it just might be that their attempts were always doomed. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

It would be nice to see 50,000 fans signing up to BuyRangers and embracing the idea of Rangers being a fully fan-owned club, but despite every single one of our problems being ownership-related, we prefer to moan and complain instead of seeking a permanent solution. We expect a solution to just turn up, usually in the form of a sugar-daddy.

If, though, someone like SDM had bought into the FO idea, preferably when he was at the height of his popularity, it could have happened simply because he recommended it. In the future, it could happen if someone like Dave King was sold on the idea(I don't think he is).

Fan ownership could happen by the back door, and if it came along, after a while, it would seem perfectly normal.

I'd say it's inevitable in the longer term but I'm not sure it will happen under either Ashley or King.

Probably at a time when the numbers involved have less zeros.

A football club that was converted into a corporate vehicle, that is suffering the inevitable consequences of being kicked around and plundered for so long and playing in a League that is struggling to bring sufficient revenue into the game to stop the slide downwards.

It would be about turning a corporate vehicle back into a football club, but at a relatively modest level and playing within a modest enviroment.

It would be nice to see 50,000 fans signing up to BuyRangers and embracing the idea of Rangers being a fully fan-owned club, but despite every single one of our problems being ownership-related, we prefer to moan and complain instead of seeking a permanent solution. We expect a solution to just turn up, usually in the form of a sugar-daddy.

If, though, someone like SDM had bought into the FO idea, preferably when he was at the height of his popularity, it could have happened simply because he recommended it. In the future, it could happen if someone like Dave King was sold on the idea(I don't think he is).

Fan ownership could happen by the back door, and if it came along, after a while, it would seem perfectly normal.

There is a lesser chance of fan ownership becoming possible while there are people like yourself banging in about BuyRangers being the only way to bring it about. You really need to decide whether your ideal of fan ownership is more important than it being achieved through your ideal vehicle. That also goes for those involved with VB, RF or the next, inevitable splinter group that shows it's face.

I say all that as someone who willingly signed up to the RST at it's inception, and also as someone who never renewed for a second year due to it being a complete non-event.

There is a lesser chance of fan ownership becoming possible while there are people like yourself banging in about BuyRangers being the only way to bring it about. You really need to decide whether your ideal of fan ownership is more important than it being achieved through your ideal vehicle. That also goes for those involved with VB, RF or the next, inevitable splinter group that shows it's face.

I say all that as someone who willingly signed up to the RST at it's inception, and also as someone who never renewed for a second year due to it being a complete non-event.

The RST is not just my ideal vehicle - it's the only vehicle that aims to make Rangers a fan-owned club.

The RST is not just my ideal vehicle - it's the only vehicle that aims to make Rangers a fan-owned club.

You don't say, well I never - what a new thought from you, Hildy.

I wish the RST had been succesful, but it hasn't been - and, yes I know the figures from the past, you quote them weekly - and no-one believes it will be. I have been a member. I signed up. I signed up to Rangers First too. I gave money to RFFF. none of them show the slightest chance of ever gaining a foothold of significance, however. I'd dearly like FO for Rangers, more than almost any other dream I have for the future but it's a fantasy at the moment - and a far fetched one at that when the likes of Ashley and King are the only names in the frame.

As I say I wish you had or could deliver FO but you can't and you repeating yourself ad infinitum on every thread possible that it is the only way forward for Rangers is nothing other than depressing given that what you are saying is the only way forward is a vehicle that doesn't move. I am not, note, saying you are wrong or should fail or getting involved into why you stalled - but stalled you have and we need a moving vehicle. It would be nice if you could all just get together and support one vehicle: a moving forward Rangers Supporters' Bus - or at least all work together for the benefit of our club rather than cheer-leading your own broken-down carts. However, as we have absolutely no power or influence anyway the ways things are organised at Ibrox, it will be hard to get people motivated to save our club as other fans have saved theirs, I understand that.

I know you mean well and I admire your efforts in what you think is right and that you believe you are helping - but to keep saying that everyone has to do something when they quite clearly are not going to/do not wish to and that isn't really helping. It's just being stubborn.

That particular message is wearing thin, Hildy. The first quote comes from RF, the second from BR.

The aim is to become the majority shareholder in Rangers FC.

Our long term goal – A majority shareholder.

As an ordinary Joe not versed in the minutiae of share ownership lingo, please enlighten me on the differences between the schemes.

You don;t say, well I never. what a new thought from you, Hildy.

I wish the RST had been succesful, but it hasn't been - and, yes I know the figures from the past, you quote them weekly - and no-one believes it will be. I have been a member. I signed up. I signed up to Rangers First too. I gave money to RFFF. none of them show the slightest chance of ever gaining a foothold of significance, however. I'd dearly like FO for Rangers, more than almost any other dream I have for the future but it's a fantasy at the moment - and a far fetched one at that when the likes of Ashley and King are the only names in the frame.

As I say I wish you had or could deliver FO but you can't and you repeating yourself ad infinitum on every thread possible that it is the only way forward for Rangers is nothing other than depressing given that what you are saying is the only way forward is a vehicle that doesn't move. I am not, note, saying you are wrong or should fail or getting involved into why you stalled - but stalled you have and we need a moving vehicle. It would be nice if you could all just get together and support one vehicle: a moving forward Rangers Supporters' Bus - or at least all work together for the benefit of our club rather than cheer-leading your own broken-down carts. However, as we have absolutely no power or influence anyway the ways things are organised at Ibrox, it will be hard to get people motivated to save our club as other fans have saved theirs, I understand that.

I know you mean well and I admire your efforts in what you think is right and that you believe you are helping - but you to keep saying that everyone has to do something when they quite clearly are not going to/do not wish to and that isn't really helping. It's just being stubborn.

It's quite simple, and yes I agree that I have made the point several times - but perhaps not as often as Rab has implied that King might have as much dosh as we think . . .

Rangers is a sick football club. We can agree on that.

The root cause of its illness is the ownership issue.

Instead of seeking a cure, and there is one out there, we see thread after thread repeating the same debate about the internal politics of the club. We are no longer football fans. We are amateur accountants. We slag off each other for not recognising that Whyte, Green or whoever was the right sort. We could have a prediction league on boardroom happenings instead of the football.

Despite everything, we are still not looking for a cure for our ills. It exists but we can't be bothered to save enough cash to actually acquire it. It becomes pointless after a while then to spectate and speculate on what will happen next to what we think of as 'our club'. We are applying ointment to the patient instead of giving it the major surgery that it requires.

I remind you once again: the ownership of Rangers is the cause of all of our problems. If we are not going to properly address this, we will get the club we deserve, and as you can see, it's not a pretty sight.

Buying Rangers for ourselves is the route out of this place, but we'd rather gossip about boardroom shenanigans than to actually take it.