Stan Collymore: Take Rangers off the TV...

"Although you sometimes get people in England who just say they're a Rangers, or even a Celtic fan, I actually am a Gers supporter.

"It stems back to my mid-teens, when I never seemed to have a Rangers shirt off my back.

“A guy who lived round the street from me in Birmingham used to run a bus of around a dozen lads to Ibrox. That's how it all started.

"At the time guys like Chris Woods and Terry Butcher were making their way up to Glasgow. The Graeme Souness era really started it for me, and I would always look for their results.

"If anyone asks me if I support a team in Scotland it would most definitely be Rangers - I have strong leanings towards them.”

Quote from stan in the past

Attention seeker. Doesn't have a clue

Edited by blueflag
Lo

Stan Collymore calls for Paul Gascoigne to be banned from BT Sport after commentary snub

Former Liverpool striker takes to Twitter to express his anger towards BT Sport

Samuel Stevens

Stan Collymore has called for Paul Gascoigne to be banned from BT Sport just days after the former Liverpool striker was pulled from commentary for branding Rangers fans racist for singing sectarian songs.

The 44-year-old pundit was due to commentate on the Scottish Championship club's clash with Raith Rovers but was dropped by the broadcaster after comments made on Twitter about members of the Ibrox faithful.

Gascoigne, on the other hand, is set to appear on the channel's 'Fletch and Sav' chat show tomorrow morning alongside Russell Brand before Tottenham's meeting with West Ham at White Hart Lane.

But Collymore, posting on the social media site, said: "If Gazza is well enough then he should be held to the same account as I’ve been and not be allowed on."

During a three-year stint with Rangers, 'Gazza' scored 39 goals in 105 appearances but also stoked religious tensions with rivals Celtic by pretending to play a flute in front of their supporters.

Making reference to that incident, among others, Collymore had initially posted: "Play the wee flute? Multiple arrests? Serial wife beater? Welcome to @btsportfootball on Sunday!"

The former Aston Villa and Leicester City striker then revealed that he and 'eight friends' had cancelled their subscription to the digital sports channel after questioning the broadcaster's decision to book Gascoigne.

He added: "And if Gazza isn't well still @ArsenalMiami then I'll be asking questions as to why a mainstream broadcaster why a sick man is on TV."

Collymore previously revealed that BT Sport had removed him from their coverage of the Rangers fixture, but insisted that it is 'better to be right than bury my head'.

A spokesman from the channel said last night: "We at BT Sport abhor all forms of racism. It should not be tolerated in sport.

"Last night, we withdrew a one-off invitation to Stan Collymore to appear on BT Sport as a commentator. The invitation was withdrawn because we did not agree with the nature of the debate that Stan launched on Twitter.

"We also disapproved of attempts to draw BT Sport into the ensuing controversy.

"This doesn’t amount to a sacking, as he’s not an employee. We don’t think withdrawing one invitation to Stan amounts to censorship.

Tweet about Gazza.

Stan CollymoreVerified account ‏@StanCollymore

Play the wee flute? Multiple arrests? Serial wife beater? Welcome to @btsportfootball on Sunday!

Edited by pete

This man is getting way too many headlines now. He's delusional, and obsessed.

EDIT : Actually got more to say on this.

Given Gazza's state of mind for the past god knows how long, and that he's finally on the road to recovery and getting his life back on track, this is an absolutely terrible attack on him. I know its brought on through his Rangers links... why the hell else... but SC really needs to get a grip and watch what he is saying.

Edited by Laudbertz

Stifling debate on offensive Old Firm chants only encourages bigots

Daniel Taylor

It’s different, though, with Rangers, trying to navigate a way through the fog of bigotry that still pollutes the club and the realisation, even in February 2015, that anyone who has a go will quickly find the hate mob unleashed on them.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/21/debate-old-firm-rangers-celtic