Daily Record back page

This all sounds a bit vindictive...shouldn't the right of referral be restricted to cases of serious foul play?

I think there's a case for that which is why ICT are having a go but in all honesty it SHOULD have been a pen and and he SHOULD have been ordered off, so they're being a bit hypocritical in my view. And this bollocks about the player being shattered is just that BOLLOCKS. He got away with it on the pitch but it's caught up with him now and he deserves a ban however unusual the system is that achieves that.

I think there's a case for that which is why ICT are having a go but in all honesty it SHOULD have been a pen and and he SHOULD have been ordered off, so they're being a bit hypocritical in my view. And this bollocks about the player being shattered is just that BOLLOCKS. He got away with it on the pitch but it's caught up with him now and he deserves a ban however unusual the system is that achieves that.

I don't see it as being hypocritical. If the incident had been against any other team their player would not be getting cited.

The player being shattered also would not be bollocks. He's looking forward to a final and he is being done in a way that no player has even been done for in the history of Scottish football, so why wouldn't he be shattered? He's missing out on a once in a lifetime experience.

As for him deserving it, you really think that? His arm may have been in a unnatural position but does he really "deserve" to have his dream torn away from him? Most Celtic fans aren't even saying that.

It was a mistake by the officials because they missed it. Nothing more. Now they're going out to question the officials integrity which must be stopped.

We even get the likes of Andy Walker commenting on this. Walker played in their team in the 1989 SC final which stopped a Rangers treble. Their goal came from a throw-in the yahoos took which had been awarded to Rangers. Don't hear the wee hypocrite bemoaning that do you?

Remember that only too well. We got the throw in on the far touchline and Aitken lifted the ball and took the throw in, they proceed to the other end of the field and score.

Or how about the famous 3-3 game at Ibrox (where the Goalie made THAT save from Pierre van H) - a Rangers goal disallowed for offside when Davie Robertson was CLEARLY onside.... hear many complaints from us about cheating refs ? Nope. Making mistakes is part of the game, not just for players but officials too.

I don't see it as being hypocritical. If the incident had been against any other team their player would not be getting cited.

The player being shattered also would not be bollocks. He's looking forward to a final and he is being done in a way that no player has even been done for in the history of Scottish football, so why wouldn't he be shattered? He's missing out on a once in a lifetime experience.

As for him deserving it, you really think that? His arm may have been in a unnatural position but does he really "deserve" to have his dream torn away from him? Most Celtic fans aren't even saying that.

My point is that if the penalty had been awarded and he had been sent off as I think most but not all agree, then he wouldn't have the dream to be shattered about.

That said I agree that it is a very unusual case but I do think that Celtic have more of a case to be disappointed than ICT or the player; but Celtic's subsequent actions take that all away. As per usual they are bad losers, something that I am pleased to say, we have very rarely been guilty of. I do remember one time WS let the side down from that point of view but in comparison with Celtic, as a rule we are far, far more dignified.

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt about deliberate but in a game I would expect a sending off and penalty. If it was like rugby a goal would be given. However, the officials missed it and that happens in game after game. That lot have had a lot more in their favour and they get lawyers in to defend their players when they are obviously guilty.

I agree with Gordon Smith that we need to introduce two challenges a game that are referred to the TV replay judge. (And if you win the challenge you don't lose it.) The higher levels of the game can easily afford it and the amount of money that a bad decision could cost a club is disproportionate. Forget it in the lower leagues and amateur stuff, but the top leagues and cups should be allowed to decide if they want it and it should be compulsory in UEFA competitions and internationals.

I've been saying something like this for many years. The question I'm sometimes asked by the likes of the Tims, who just don't get fairness, is what if your team lose games because of the technology, and my answer is always, I have no problem losing a game fair and square. I do have a problem with losing unfairly, but as long as that unfairness is consistent, I'll take the smooth with the rough - ie if we win by a bad decision, I'll be a bit embarrassed but happy to keep the points or the place in the next round as things usually tend to even out over time.

I do believe if the game was a lot fairer and rules applied more consistently we'd actually be a more successful club - thinking about the likes of Marseilles and our game congestion for the UEFA final and SPL finish, and much more. We seem to get treated unfairly at pretty crucial times. I also believe Celtic would be much worse off as they have manipulated so much into their favour from which they have benefited from and which will never even out.

If memory serves me it was the UEFA delegate who spotted it, I think.

I'm sure it was but I think it still needed the club that had been 'sinned against' to lodge a complaint. There was a lot of 'they wouldn't dare would they?' comments at the time.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

I'm sure it was but I think it still needed the club that had been 'sinned against' to lodge a complaint. There was a lot of 'they wouldn't dare would they?' comments at the time.

You may well be right about the sequence of events.

The reason I remember the bit about the UEFA delegate was that at the time no one could work out how Celtic knew about it.

My recollection is that the punishment was automatic after that but I may be wrong and don't have time right now to look it up.

I'm more worried about our first trip to Kazakhstan in the ELQ4 in a couple of year's time TBH.