Summer 2015 - Transfers and Rumours Thread

Mark Warburton steps up Rangers rebuilding process as Andy Halliday arrives for trial alongside Reece Wabara

08:51, 29 June 2015

By Craig Swan

THE former Livingston, Middlesbrough and Bradford winger has joined former Man City defender Wabara on trial at Ibrox.

RANGERS are eyeing a move for former Manchester City defender Reece Wabara – while ex-Middlesbrough midfielder Andy Halliday is arriving on trial today .

Ibrox boss Mark Warburton is continuing his rebuilding of the squad with three new names on the scene as teenage striker Jordan Gibson has been signed on a one-year deal.

Wabara, a right-back, headed to Glasgow over the weekend and will train with the top-team squad this week at Murray Park with a view to winning a contract.

The 23-year-old, a former development squad skipper at City, quit Doncaster in 
the summer and has been pinpointed by Warburton.

Wabara had spells at Ipswich, Blackpool and Oldham before joining Rovers on a permanent contract last term.

Rovers boss Paul Dickov wanted to keep him for this season at the League One side but the former England Under-20 star, who is related to ex-Ibrox favourite Mark Walters, hankered for a move away.

Dickov said: “We sat down with Reece and he expressed a desire to have a look a little higher.

“I respect his opinion and want him to get to a club at a higher level.

“He’s a fantastic kid and I have wished him all the best for the future.”

With Rob Kiernan and Danny Wilson secured for the centre-back positions , Wabara is a viable option for right-back.

Warburton will also run the rule over former Rangers kid Halliday this week.

The 23-year-old left Ibrox as a youngster for Livingston before heading to Boro.

The midfielder is now hoping to land a deal after leaving Bradford at the end of the season.

Another new face at Murray Park today will be former West Brom and Stoke kid Gibson after he impressed on trial.

The 17-year-old had been playing for amateurs Alvechurch FC in the Midland Premier League and was spotted by scouts

Gibson said: “It’s a bit of a dream but I always 
believed. I was released by West Brom then went to Stoke but those experiences have helped motivate me.

“When I got the call from Rangers I knew I had to make the most of it.

“I trained with the first team and played in two games which went well.

“The new manager is meant to give youth a chance so hopefully I can break through by Christmas.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-warburton-steps-up-rangers-5966825

There's a picture of Gibson in that article which looks more like a 13- than a 17-year old.

FORMER Rangers star Madjid Bougherra has revealed he offered to return to Ibrox this summer to end his playing career, but was rejected.

The Algerian captain spent a turbulent three-year period at Ibrox from 2008 before moving in a £1.7 million deal to Qatari club Lekhwiya.

He moved onto UAE outfit Al-Fujairah last year and was out of contract at the end of the season.

But the 33-year-old's hopes of returning to Glasgow to end his playing career were dashed and he's signed a new deal with the Emirates side.

Bougherra said: "My wish was to go back to Rangers and finish my career there.

"I was out of contract and my dream would have been to play again with Rangers.

"Sadly, it was not possible for that to happen.

"I have now decided to stay with Al Fujairah because it is a club that suits me and I hope to enjoy another good season with them.

"Then I will do my coaching badges as I move into the next stage of my career."

Share article

Bougherra won three titles with Rangers, a Scottish Cup and a League Cup.

But he was never far from controversy and was sent off in his last game for the club in a 1-1 Champions League qualifying draw in Malmo.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13358548.Madjid_Bougherra_reveals_Rangers_snub_over_bid_to_return_to_Ibrox/

I sold super-fast Reece Wabara on Rangers without knowing I was doing it, says ex-Gers kid Dean Furman

FURMAN was a team-mate of Wabara at Doncaster last season and the former Rangers youth reckons he sold him on a move north without even realising it.

DEAN FURMAN has revealed he may have sold flying full-back Reece Wabara on a move to Rangers without even realising it.

The ex-Light Blues youngster and former England Under-20 cap Wabara were Doncaster team-mates last season and also previously played alongside each other at Oldham Athletic.

After Rovers failed to win promotion from League One to the Championship, both players decided to move on this summer to pursue deals with teams at a higher level.

But having shared a car to and from training throughout the campaign, Furman reckons he has unknowingly played a part in convincing Wabara his future lies in Glasgow.

The two used to talk about the 
South Africa captain’s time with Gers and he had nothing but positive things to say about it.

News of his old side’s interest in 
the 23-year-old surprised Furman 
when it emerged the right-back will train at Murray Park this week with a view to landing a deal.

But it quickly made sense as he recalled how curious Wabara was about his time at Rangers between 2006 and 2008 as they shuttled between Manchester and Doncaster last term.

Furman was famously heralded as Paul Le Guen’s first signing when in truth he had already agreed a deal with the Ibrox outfit’s youth department before the Frenchman arrived.

Although he only made one first team appearance against Dundee United four days before the UEFA Cup Final seven years ago, he cherishes the time he spent there.

One of his favourite memories was leading the Under-19 team to a 5-0 thrashing of Celtic in the Scottish Youth Cup Final at Hampden in 2007.

Furman said: “I know Reece very well. We travelled into Doncaster just about every day for the last year.

“He’s a very exciting player and Rangers fans would love him.

“I’m not at all surprised he has gone up there because I know the club very well and I’ve told him all about it.

“We would talk about different 
things in the car and any time there has been a mention of Rangers, I’ve only said good things.

“Reece has asked me a few questions and I can’t speak a bad word about the club. I had a great time there.

“The size of the club, the fanbase and the history attached to it is fantastic and I just tried to let him know what it’s all about.

“I don’t know his plans but if 
something is happening and he does want to know any more than I’ve told him already, I can only give him a glowing reference.”

Furman knows a move to the 
Scottish Championship doesn’t 
necessarily fit in with Wabara’s 
aspirations of playing at a higher 
level than the one Doncaster will operate at next season.

But he’s adamant the ex-Manchester City kid would be taking a step up in terms of the club if he signs.

With Mark Warburton’s revolution well under way in Govan and new recruits already drafted in, Furman understands why Rangers hold so much appeal to Wabara.

The Bafana Bafana skipper reckons he has all the attributes Gers are looking for from young players they might have a chance of selling on for a profit.

And he believes they will land a player destined to shine in the English Premier League if they snap him up.

The 27-year-old added: “Reece is very 
attack-minded and he’s very much in the mould of Barcelona full-back Dani Alves because he’s very quick and 
loves to get forward. Defensively he’s strong too.

“He has lovely ability, loves to beat a man and puts good deliveries into the box. He had quite a few assists last season and if I’m honest, he should 
have had many, many more.

“I can’t speak for the new manager at Rangers but if he’s looking for a young, athletic full-back who can 
create and join in play, Reece ticks all the right boxes.

“He has been a real pleasure to play with. He came to Oldham from Man City having been in and around their first team and their reserves.

“Reece stepped up to men’s 
football very quickly and adapted very well. In the last year or so, I feel he has really kicked on.

“He was one of the top 
performers at Doncaster and he has progressed an awful lot.

“He has worked extremely hard on his game and is becoming more consistent in his performances.

“Now at Rangers there’s a manager there who has done extremely well 
elsewhere and Davie Weir is back as well.

“I’ve no doubt they have a vision to get back to the top of Scottish football and it will be a long-term project but an exciting one to be involved in.

“I’m sure they’ll be attracting more players of Reece’s calibre and with his age, he is someone who can be an asset who is constantly improving.

“It’s a matter of opinion on how well he can do.

“He did well for Doncaster and has high ambitions. I’m sure he will want to play in the Premier League and I’m sure he can.”

Furman himself is continuing his own search for a club and is biding his time before deciding where to go.

He left Rangers for Bradford in 2008 as there were so many experienced central midfield options in Walter Smith’s squad at that time including Barry Ferguson, Steven Davis and Brahim Hemdani.

The former Chelsea trainee has played 230 club games since going back to England and is unlikely to be without a team for long as he’s already 
considering contract proposals.

Furman said: “There’s not too much happening at the minute but a lot of clubs are starting their pre-seasons now so I’m looking to sort something out pretty soon.

“Hopefully things can happen in the next week or so. There has been a bit of interest and a couple of offers but it’s a case of finding the right move.

“It’s all about making progression and I need to strike a balance but I’d hope to be able to get sorted soon.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sold-super-fast-reece-wabara-rangers-5966465

Rangers hold talks with former Swindon keeper Foderingham

HITC Sport understands Rangers are lining up a move to sign former Swindon Town goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club that Rangers have held talks former Swindon Town goalkeeper Wes Foderingham about a move to Ibrox.

Highly-rated keeper Foderingham is a free agent after seeing out his contract at League One Swindon.

The 24-year-old has established himself as one of the best keepers outside the top two leagues in England after catching the eye at the County Ground.

A number of Championship clubs are thought to have expressed an interest in Foderingham, but now Rangers have joined the chase for the custodian.

Foderingham is understood to have been at Rangers' training ground, Murray Park, on Monday for talks with new Rangers boss Mark Warburton.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/06/29/por-rangers-hold-talks-with-former-swindon-keeper-foderingham/

Was already wondering whether Bell would get some more competition.