Rangers boss Stuart McCall sends SOS to veteran Lee McCulloch as battle with Motherwell looms

TWO goals down from the first leg, the Ibrox side face an uphill struggle to win the Premiership play-off final today.

RANGERS boss Stuart McCall could use veteran skipper Lee McCulloch as an emergency striker at Motherwell today.

The Ibrox side must win by at least two to cancel out Well’s 3-1 first-leg lead in the Premiership play-off final.

With McCall hunting for goals, he’s revealed 37-year-old McCulloch could be moved up front. The likes of Kris Boyd, Shane Ferguson and youngster Tom Walsh are also vying for starting slots while Darren McGregor is suspended.

Defender McCulloch – booed by his own fans four weeks ago against Falkirk – is set for a recall against his former side.

McCall said: “Lee is going back to his old club and can play up front so that gives me another option. He’s played

everywhere for Rangers.

“He’s played at the back, in central midfield and up front as well this season. I imagine the game won’t be the prettiest, it will be more about lobbing balls into the box. He’d give us a different option.”

Lee Wallace and Nicky Law are toiling with injuries and McCall is keen to freshen up his team who have played five play-offs in 19 days.

He said: “Daz is out and there are two who are almost certainly out.

“There are a couple of others who are 50-50. But it’s the last game of the season so we’ll just get on with it.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-boss-stuart-mccall-sends-5795315

McCall said: “Lee is going back to his old club and can play up front so that gives me another option. He’s played

everywhere for Rangers.

“He’s played at the back, in central midfield and up front as well this season. I imagine the game won’t be the prettiest, it will be more about lobbing balls into the box. He’d give us a different option.”

that's not exactly encouraging

As for the title of the thread - there is no dount that we can do it. The question remains however, will we?

Edited by SteveC

It has been blatantly obvious we've needed more physical presence up front. Also considering how poor Miller, Clark & Boyd have been why has McCall waited until now to apparently do something?

My big concern about playing McCulloch up front is his lack of mobility.

I don't like the talk coming out of McCall in this thread. Talk of playing Jig, even up front where there is a reduced chance of him costing us goals, and of launching balls into the box is most definitely not the way to win this tie. McManus is a big cart horse but launching balls into the box plays to his only strength, and I would back him to outplay Jig every time, even if the contest would be akin to two old ladies with zimmers running for a bus!

The way to win is simple. Fast paced passing with good movement and width, getting into one on one situations and even two on one situations with pace and subtlety, and keeping the tempo high. It has always been the case when we play well and win well. Admittedly I haven't seen too much evidence that this squad and manager has this most basic of ability and nous between them, but I can hope they find it from somewhere.

I am firmly in the Big Marv camp as I saw enough on Thursday to see that an early goal for us will have Motherwell bricking it, and I will be taking a bit of the 6/1 on offer for us to go through today. It is too big a price to miss out on.