It was a familiar routine. With wife, and soulmate of lifetime retired to her bed, George knew the protocol. However this evening would provide a slight deviation from the norm.

He broke the virginity of the Macallan 43 malt, with a respectful nod to acknowledge the craft and expertise of the “alchemist”. A handful of ice cubes into the crystal glass laid the foundations of a simple, yet unbeatable combination.

He shuffled, assisted by his Prestige walking stick, over to the bottom drawer of the cabinet in “Georges Room” and from there he withdrew a simple cardboard box, designed to protect against the ravages of time. From within said box he then removed an old scrapbook carefully and expensively encased and preserved within a Melinex protective cover. Some things are valuable, but memories nonetheless are priceless.

Opening the first page the image of Harold Davis stares back at him. It is of course deliberate, and one hopes future generations of George’s family will realise the significance of Harold’s place in that scrapbook. A man who overcame the odds to achieve greatness, those odds skewed against him due to service to his country, yet who still managed to encompass everything pulling on a light blue jersey encompasses. Sometimes the word “Legend”, quite simply, isn’t enough.

The following pages are testament to our greatness, stilled images of history which have resulted in anything but stilled celebration. The Caldow penalty against England, Brand , McMillan and Wilson, the strike of the Super Dane (Pre-Laudrup!) which lifted the Scottish Cup in 66, and the wonder of “Slim Jim”, a 16 year old ending a 4 year famine in the League Cup Final, Barcelona , Wee bud sitting on the ball, the dunes of Gullane when “character” and “determination” were our watchword, the magic show which was Davie Cooper, the Souness revolution, the Prince of Denmark (“Brian, why are you so good? [copyright Jim White]) 9 in a row, the pages are endless, and apologies to those which have been skipped over such as the spirit of the Rangers team which came back from 2 down at Hampden to scupper Wuilie Pettigrew’s dream.

The latter part of the scrapbook is not quite so reminiscent or enjoyable however. Images of Craig Whyte, his catastrophic reign, and our subsequent treatment at the hands of others adorn the pages. One wonders why this period of our history should be kept rather than ignored.

Because adversity and willingness to overcome insurmountable odds reveals the true character of the Rangers support. “No Surrender” is much more than just a match day historical soundbite – rather it is given both legitimacy and credibility by our willingness to refuse to succumb in the face of adversity.

The pictures in the latter of part of the scrapbook show Sandy Jardine rallying the troops on the march to Hampden, newspapers cutting displaying our ability to sell out stadiums even in the lowest of divisions, our capability to cause the cancellations of matches in our desire to “follow follow”.

Broadcasters such as Adrian Durham don’t talk about regimes – instead they gaze in wonder at a support who refuse to give up on the club they love. Just to clarify, because it really, really is important, that’s people like you and me they are talking about.

When we were down we found few (if any allies) but our unconditional love for a club called Rangers caused us to rally round her. We defied the odds, we defied the sceptics, we defied those who hate us and conspire against us, but most importantly we achieved this alone without the help of others. Other than truth and justice courtesy of the courts this has very much been a lone sojourn for the Rangers support.

We really need to move on in order to effectively tackle the real enemies of our club. We need to overcome the angst of “boycotter” versus “non boycotter” and recognise ourselves as one support with different viewpoints who all had the best interests of the club at heart. Because believe you me neither the boycotter nor the non-boycotter would wish to see our club dead. But our enemies would.

As George turns the final pages of his scrapbook and sips the last of his Macallan, the closing page shows a newspaper cutting from yesteryear, where the great William Struth castigates the Ibrox kit man, after the latter suggested, if necessary, we could borrow from our opponents that day – Clyde – should the need arise. There then followed a stern lecture on how Rangers should and never will rely upon others for their survival.

If we are to be self-sufficient and reliant on no-one to ensure our survival, then at the very least we need to be united in purpose. If you don’t believe me, at the very least trust our guiding forefather.

Reflections? Recollections! Heard that song today, more coincidentally than anything, but always making me smile ...

Recollections

From the tender age of 8 years old - it's easy to recall,

That day my brother sat me on - the Ibrox terrace wall,

Wearing my first Rangers scarf - bright red and white and blue,

That day will live until I die - and I'll follow the flag of blue.

Since then I followed the Teddy Bears - all around the world.

The greatest sides I can recall - that league flag being unfurled.

It flew above the Ibrox stand - for every fan to view,

Below there stood proud legions who - all wore red, white and blue.

Each time I walk down Copland Road - that memory I recall,

There's Millar, Brand, McMillan too - Telfer and McColl,

Shearer, Scott and Stevenson - goalkeeper Georgie Niven,

Young captain Eric Caldow - Davie Wilson now re-liven.

Sitting there upon the wall - I saw the flag unfurled,

Above the famous Rangers team - the finest in the world,

My heart aglow at Rangers' show - a vision in my view,

Before my eyes with banners high - Glaswegians wearing blue.

Around the ground the Bears all sang - so play before them flew,

As Rangers ran around the park - the legions stood salute.

I thanked my brother many times - for taking me that day,

Where? Down along the Copland Road - to see the Rangers play,

Down along the Copland Road - to see the Rangers play.

As sung by The Followers.

I am getting quite emotional. Probably mainly because I have been out in Glasgow today but also because it is Fathers Day and I miss him so much. My wonderful Dad took me to Ibrox when I was 13 or 14. I wish I could remember exactly! I used to watch football on TV with him and begged him to take me to Ibrox with him time and time again. He was reluctant to take me because it really was a man's pursuit in those days but he capitulated eventually, finding it hard to say "no" to his daughters. I remember we played Hearts and I think we may have lost but I was immediately entranced and captivated by the whole experience. I dreamt, what seemed like all night, about the spectacle of the pitch with the floodlights on it, the crowd, the atmosphere, the excitement and was hooked for ever. To this day, Rangers remain one of the great loves of my life

Nice words D'art...nothing short of total success is now not acceptable from this day on.

Other than winning this crap title a Cup win should be attainable and I don't mean the Petrol cup, leave that to the kids.

It's Sunday morning so I'll bridle my feelings and mind my language.

When i read good blog pieces by writers of a calibre like you D'art,, about what happened to our club and the characters involved in it's near death experience . Many emotions and feelings about it all, quickly rise to the surface.

The strongest emotions that rise in me are anger and hate. i'm not a hater by nature, except to hate those haters in return, who wish my community, culture, football club and it's support all sorts of harm and ill will.

I'm Scottish by birth but lived down here in the North East for thirty five years, however I still retain that Scottish clan mentality, of when being attacked by our enemies we rise for the fightback, We as a club and community were and still are, being attacked by the haters and bigots, within Scottish football and the wider Scottish Society.

Our enemies are political as well as religiously motivated, they are organised and strategically placed in many powerful positions, especially within Football, but also in the law, government, media, radio and TV especially again BBC Scotland.

Anyone who didn't see the agenda or organised hate fest against our club and support these last few seasons, must have had their head buried in the sand, Or their surname is Van Winkle.

One form of my fightback has taken the retaliatory measure of me fully withdrawing my financial support, in attending any away games to those clubs who had major hand in deliberately trying to destroy our club. Mostly the old SPL clubs but not exclusively them, I went to the Livingstone FC away game last season, but having since read their then match-day programme and it's lying cowardly attack on our club, i won't ever be back there.

Other strong feelings that rise in me reading the blog D'art, are pride and love . Pride in my fellow Rangers Supporters and a love for my club. Both of which i can honestly say were sorely tested to my limits, over those dark days.

Thankfully we are the club they couldn't kill and the support who wouldn't Surrender.

WATP No Surrender.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Did 'George' countenance that the BBC may just be on to something when they were exposing Craig Whyte for the charlatan that he is?

Did 'George' call for togetherness when anyone criticising Whyte was being accused of "doing the beast's work for them"?

Did 'George' overcome his "angst" and recognise that we are "all one support" when he was told that he might have to sit beside other fans who like to provide colour, both vocally and visually, at the match?

No, did he hell.

You do write beautifully but sadly, it invariably has a hollow ring to it.