Darren McGregor joins Hibs - also Zaliukas released

Not too surprised given his limited opportunities under Warburton. As others have said he was our best defender last season, albeit getting judged alongside Captain Calamity would make anyone look like a superstar.

I hope we have mutually agreed to let him go without any severance pay as he has another club lined up to go to. I would hate to see the situation we found ourselves in so many times previously whereby we pay up a players contract and they jump straight into another club. It doesnt save us any money if we pay him his contract in full.

If we have made it clear to the player he is not in the plans, and at 30 he wants to play and not sit in the stiffs, he can ask for a free transfer without any pay-off to allow him to get the best possible deal (wont be anything like the money he earned here) for himself for perhaps the next 2-3 years at a new club. If he asks to be released with a pay-off, we should always refuse as when the window shuts he cannot move and will be ruining his career by not playing. He may be happy to sit and take the money, and thats fair enough, but if his agent has a club lined up, he shouldnt be getting anything more from us.

I would have thought he was worth something, even a loan fee, and if it turns out he signs for Hibs I will be furious after the Allan affair that we have went out of our way to allow one of our players to go there when we didnt have to.

There's been one or two rumours started online that he was on about 5 grand a week and we've paid him to leave with something like 30% of his remaining contract value.

If I was speculating, I'd take a wild guess and say that BOTH McGregor & Zaliukas were asked to find new clubs and that McGregor's agent has negotiated him a wee pay-off so that he can leave with a few quid. The question now is what happens with Zaliukas if he has indeed been asked to find a new club too.

i'm not surprised i thought he was rank as a defender and even worse with the ball at his feet.

rank (adj.)

Old English ranc "proud, overbearing, showy," from Proto-Germanic *rankaz (cognates: Danish rank "right, upright," German rank "slender," Old Norse rakkr "straight, erect"), perhaps from PIE *reg- "to stretch, straighten" (see right (adj.)). In reference to plant growth, "vigorous, luxuriant, abundant, copious" it is recorded from c. 1300. Related: Rankly; rankness.

Sense evolved in Middle English to "large and coarse" (c. 1300), then, via notion of "excessive and unpleasant," to "corrupt, loathsome, foul" (mid-14c.), perhaps from influence of Middle French rance "rancid." In 17c. also "lewd, lustful."

Much used 16c. as a pejorative intensive (as in rank folly). This is possibly the source of the verb meaning "to reveal another's guilt" (1929, underworld slang), and that of "to harass, abuse," 1934, U.S. black dialect, though this also may be from the role of the activity in establishing social hierarchy (from rank (n.)).

Etymonline

I think, this does not cover it, as you probably simply did not add the "rotten" to "rank"? And that is one of those moments where you wish people would actually start and use their language, as more often than not, we end up with bipolar stuff that simply is "rank" ... and does not leave much leeway to either side. For if McGregor was "rank", what was McCulloch, Cribari, Mohsni or some other "failures" by comparison. Rank rank? And obviously, neither was McGregor rank as a defender, nor was he worse with the ball at his feet. He is no Kolarov, Ivanovic or Leighton Baines. But please give the lad the credit he deserves.

Edited by der Berliner