Darren McGregor joins Hibs - also Zaliukas released

Zaliukas I can understand allowing him to leave but if we could have got a fee for McGregor (and there were teams interested) we should have exploited that.

Can only assume there was some sort of contractual understanding.

I am disgusted we let McGregor go to Hibs for free, especially after the way their blind hatred of our club manifested itself in the Allan affair. It would have been a victory if we even got £50K for him. Look at McGeoch - celtic didnt want him, they knew that Hibs did, and got a fee for him despite him having one year left on his deal. Really bad business by us here and as one of the first proper bits of transfer dealings that our new CEO (from Motherwell, forgot his name already!) has overseen I must say I am bitterly disappointed, nay raging, that this was allowed to happen.

We better sharpen up our ideas in our dealings, and fast, if we are to properly compete with our enemy, who seem to be miles ahead in this department.

As an aside as this thread is also bringing Allan into it, I find it highly amusing and pretty ironic that in a celtic side that made 9 changes and rested all their main players for the walkover at Tannadice, that Allan still couldn't get a game for the virtually second 11. When I heard they made 9 changes I assumed he played, checked it last night to find he was an unused sub. Hilarious.

We didn't really let him away on a free. We mutually ended a contract as Warburton has far too much respect for a decent player that he has no plans for. McGregor was cool with that and him & his agent have went out and got a deal for him. We didn't hand him to HIbs but we also cannot complain loudly & long about the way Hibs behaved to us & then expect us to do the same thing back. That is not the Rangers way.

We've actually behaved decently imo. Whether one defender who has yet to play for us this season comes back to haunt us? We'll have to wait and see.

I am disgusted we let McGregor go to Hibs for free, especially after the way their blind hatred of our club manifested itself in the Allan affair. It would have been a victory if we even got £50K for him. Look at McGeoch - celtic didnt want him, they knew that Hibs did, and got a fee for him despite him having one year left on his deal. Really bad business by us here and as one of the first proper bits of transfer dealings that our new CEO (from Motherwell, forgot his name already!) has overseen I must say I am bitterly disappointed, nay raging, that this was allowed to happen.

We better sharpen up our ideas in our dealings, and fast, if we are to properly compete with our enemy, who seem to be miles ahead in this department.

As an aside as this thread is also bringing Allan into it, I find it highly amusing and pretty ironic that in a celtic side that made 9 changes and rested all their main players for the walkover at Tannadice, that Allan still couldn't get a game for the virtually second 11. When I heard they made 9 changes I assumed he played, checked it last night to find he was an unused sub. Hilarious.

Also, Craig from Sons of Struth posting on facebook is suggesting that we offered the same basic weekly wage (£5k), but celtic offered a bigger appearance bonus of £1500, compared with our offer of £500. Apparently the kicker to the deal was a £150k Champions League qualification bonus... and given that he didn't play and they didn't qualify, added to the fact he's not making any appearance bonus so far, shows that Celtic's deal might well work out much less overall for him.

He's been badly advised, it would seem.

We didn't really let him away on a free. We mutually ended a contract as Warburton has far too much respect for a decent player that he has no plans for. McGregor was cool with that and him & his agent have went out and got a deal for him. We didn't hand him to HIbs but we also cannot complain loudly & long about the way Hibs behaved to us & then expect us to do the same thing back. That is not the Rangers way.

We've actually behaved decently imo. Whether one defender who has yet to play for us this season comes back to haunt us? We'll have to wait and see.

Some of the chat also, is that McGregor had lined up a deal with St Johnstone, which is who the club expected him to join. Seems that Hibs swooped in at the last minute and offered him a deal to join his boyhood team...

And you're right, we either pay him £5-6k or whatever, per week for this year when he's unlikely to play... Thats £250k saved.

Some of the chat also, is that McGregor had lined up a deal with St Johnstone, which is who the club expected him to join. Seems that Hibs swooped in at the last minute and offered him a deal to join his boyhood team...

And you're right, we either pay him £5-6k or whatever, per week for this year when he's unlikely to play... Thats £250k saved.

Plus he wants to play, not sit on the bench. Warburton told him upfront so he could make a choice and he wants to play, not milk the club. Fair play to him for going to his boyhood team (isn't that what we wanted Allan to do?)

Plus he wants to play, not sit on the bench. Warburton told him upfront so he could make a choice and he wants to play, not milk the club. Fair play to him for going to his boyhood team (isn't that what we wanted Allan to do?)

Judging by the fizzing coupon Allan had when he was paraded at the San Giro, I'd say "yes".

Mutually agreeing to end a contract is the very definition of allowing him to leave on a free! While I agree we have acted very decently, this decent behaviour has cost us money, and allowed a hated rival to gain a player at our expense for free. I have no concern this will cost us in terms of league points or placing, just that we have again been shafted over a bit when it comes to exiting players at worst, or missed a trick for a fee at best.

Mutually agreeing to end a contract is the very definition of allowing him to leave on a free! While I agree we have acted very decently, this decent behaviour has cost us money, and allowed a hated rival to gain a player at our expense for free. I have no concern this will cost us in terms of league points or placing, just that we have again been shafted over a bit when it comes to exiting players at worst, or missed a trick for a fee at best.

I think you are under estimating the board. I doubt Warburton has cart blanche to just cancel contracts cause he doesn't need the player. The board will have agreed & decided to maybe not make things difficult for McGregor. I'm sure (first time in several years I can say this) the board know what they are doing.

He did get on during the second half.

I think you are under estimating the board. I doubt Warburton has cart blanche to just cancel contracts cause he doesn't need the player. The board will have agreed & decided to maybe not make things difficult for McGregor. I'm sure (first time in several years I can say this) the board know what they are doing.

I would love to believe you are right, and I have a lot more faith in the current board than any board of the last 30 years, but that is not to say I don't expect them to make mistakes. Of course, the likelihood is that there is a lot more info not disclosed about the facts surrounding this, but on the face of it it looks like McGregor's agent has done us up a cracker. We think we are doing the guy a favour and letting him go to a non-rival, and instead he goes to our biggest rival (as anticipated at time of writing!) for this title. We should have allowed him to transfer to St Johnstone for no fee, not released him at this stage and allow him to go to Hibs. If it got to deadline night and no bids were forthcoming, we can make the option to release him at that time, not now.