Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

James vardy was at Fleetwood town only a blink of an eye ago , Mahraiz was signed from the French lower leagues for £400,000 , it's how these guys develop that's important not size of transfer fee or reputation , Christ we have been crying out for a manager to do exactly what MW does , now we have him we moan , Jesus wept

I've said it many times,some fans are not happy unless they are unhappy!.

Carry on the good work W&W

James vardy was at Fleetwood town only a blink of an eye ago , Mahraiz was signed from the French lower leagues for £400,000 , it's how these guys develop that's important not size of transfer fee or reputation , Christ we have been crying out for a manager to do exactly what MW does , now we have him we moan , Jesus wept

Jamie Richard Vardy (born 11 January 1987) is an English professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Leicester City and the England national team. He plays as a striker, but can also play as a winger.

After being released by Sheffield Wednesday at the age of sixteen, Vardy began his senior career with Stocksbridge Park Steels, breaking into the first team in 2007 and spending three seasons before joining Northern Premier League side Halifax Town in 2010. Scoring 26 goals in his debut season, he won the club's "Player's Player of the Year" award, then moved to Conference Premier side Fleetwood Town in August 2011 for an undisclosed fee. He scored 31 league goals in his first season at his new team, winning the team's "Player of the Year" award as they won the division.

In May 2012, Vardy signed for Leicester City in the Football League Championship for a non-league record transfer fee of £1 million, and represented the club in the Premier League after winning the Championship in 2014. He scored in a record eleven consecutive Premier League matches in 2015, breaking Ruud van Nistelrooy's record, and made his international debut earlier in the same year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Vardy

Gems can still be found

how many of these diamonds have been found? Vardy cost £1m and was player of the year not an unwanted squad player. If we bring in ten of these players who are strugling to hold down first team places in league one/championship how many are you expecting to be better than the likes of the naismiths/lafferty of old? What kind of standard do you think we can expect from this recruitment policy on an average basis?

If we were spending £400k-£500k on a single player from different leagues around europe I would be happier as it opens up another layer of players available enlarging the pool and heightening the chances of finding gems but thats not what we have done so far.

The price of a player does not guarantee success but it does increase the chances massively and gives on average, under normal circumstances, a gauge of ability.

So far we have spent £200k max on a player and used freebies. Sorry but i fail to see how success can be anything but a massive gamble with that philosophy. As we are seeing so far in the championship they have not been good enough to guarantee instant promotion. I would imagine we are cutting it closer than King and co would want.

Guess it comes down to whether you think a team of unwanted low cost english league one players can make the basis for a team capable of winning the premiership and getting through euro qualifiers in the next 2-3 seasons. So far the signings are holding their own in the championship but are not creating a good enough nucleus to win the premier in my opinion. Personally don't think the best team in league one could win the Scottish premier never mind a squad of players deemed not good enough by their present managers

Edited by trublusince1982

Trublue , it comes down to whether your happy with the way we are playing and trust our manager , buying players does not guarantee anything , far better to bring in players the manager has identified for specific positions , just look at the mess buying players has gotten us into in the past and what is cost us to get rid of them , I know which way I would go

i'm not going to dismiss the kid because of where he's playing (or bench warming) for the moment. He was considered a good prospect until quite recently: who knows, maybe he just doesn't fit into Doncaster's preferred formation. Clearly a good amount of research has gone into this and MW knows him. We're not just trawling the subs bench of the lower leagues in England on spec.

On the point about unearthing talent from that level, Jonathan Wilson was saying interesting things about this when talking about Delli Alli's emergence. He said he knew Spurs were keeping tabs on several young players and, whilst Alli had had a good in the cup against Man United which might have moved him ahead of the others, just had to take a punt in one of them and went for Alli. That seems to suggest there's a players with good potential at that level.

Vardy and Alli are the stand outs for lower league recruitment but Arter at Bournemouth was playing for Woking before Bournemouth picked him up and he's streets ahead of any midfielder in Scotland at the moment. None of that means we should just chuck money at Barnsley or Stockport for their cast offs. But MW knows that market and one of main selling points was identifying and developing young talent. Seems daft to get too worked up when he tries to do that.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

how many of these diamonds have been found? Vardy cost £1m and was player of the year not an unwanted squad player. If we bring in ten of these players who are strugling to hold down first team places in league one/championship how many are you expecting to be better than the likes of the naismiths/lafferty of old? What kind of standard do you think we can expect from this recruitment policy on an average basis?

If we were spending £400k-£500k on a single player from different leagues around europe I would be happier as it opens up another layer of players available enlarging the pool and heightening the chances of finding gems but thats not what we have done so far.

The price of a player does not guarantee success but it does increase the chances massively and gives on average, under normal circumstances, a gauge of ability.

So far we have spent £200k max on a player and used freebies. Sorry but i fail to see how success can be anything but a massive gamble with that philosophy. As we are seeing so far in the championship they have not been good enough to guarantee instant promotion. I would imagine we are cutting it closer than King and co would want.

Guess it comes down to whether you think a team of unwanted low cost english league one players can make the basis for a team capable of winning the premiership and getting through euro qualifiers in the next 2-3 seasons. So far the signings are holding their own in the championship but are not creating a good enough nucleus to win the premier in my opinion. Personally don't think the best team in league one could win the Scottish premier never mind a squad of players deemed not good enough by their present managers

The management & team have been in the door 6 months. Nobody is saying we will win anything with ''lower league'' players,there are wee gems still to be found is all I'm saying

Oh and using your analogy Man Utd should be romping the premiership instead of the laughing stock , ala Chelsea

No they shouldn't be romping it they should be challenging the other teams who have spent along with them. In your analogy leicester shouldn't have been fighting relegation last season and should be able to recreate their success year on year. They wont, the cream will rise to the top, one year of success does not make a map that should be followed.

Man u are 9 points off top of the table at the mid way point in one of the best leagues in the world. Doubt very much they will go with the philosophy of hunting for cheap gems this January to cut the gap. No they will spend and spend big no doubt which will bring them a higher chance of success.

Nobody wants the club to spend out with its ability.Would be happy if these players cost the same but had shown their worth by standing out in league one. Would be happy if these freebies were even from a bigger pool as already said. Shopping in such a small pool of players at low to nothing prices That have not previously showered themselves in glory is limiting the chance of finding gems not increasing our chances. We are not just picking up cheap players we are picking up cheap players that have failed so far then trying to polish them into diamonds. That's a completely different strategy than looking for cheap buys who have shown their abilities by standing out in their present leagues.

Trust has nothing to do with it, the players are here and can be judged against our knowledge of the teams we will face on the way up. In my opinion so far they are not of a high enough calibre to bring the kind of results that will be expected. Do you think the signings so far can build the foundations of a team capable of challenging next season based on your years of watching?

The management & team have been in the door 6 months. Nobody is saying we will win anything with ''lower league'' players,there are wee gems still to be found is all I'm saying

We aren't trying to find the odd gem we are trying to build a full squad out of these players by the looks of it.