RST Write to Senior SNP Figures Over IRA Pub Visit

IMHO, this is the only point that the RST should have commented on as it's directly football and Rangers related.

The story as a whole seems troubling (although I don't know all the facts at this moment) - but shouldn't the political aspects be left for either political organisations, or individuals to raise?

We should be writing to our MPs about this, not the RST,

The RST represent us so it's not unreasonable for them to act on our/their members' behalf.

No-one else is commenting on the appalling venue - that in itself is interesting.

The RST represent us so it's not unreasonable for them to act on our/their members' behalf.

No-one else is commenting on the appalling venue - that in itself is interesting.

The RST represent us as football supporters, nothing more.

Despite the best attempts of the media to portray otherwise, our support does not all share one political view point, especially with regards to Scottish nationalism. I'm certain there'll be fans, probably even paid up members of the RST who voted Humza in.

Now, I don't really know how they'd defend him on this matter, but that's for them to decide and voice if they feel the need.

Edited by Thinker

Humza constantly talks about his support for Celtic on social media so it's entirely relevant and appropriate to highlight this along with his 'ill-advised' press conference.

You are missing my point.

The complaint is rightly directed at the SNP for holding an event in a "Celtic" pub which has been associated with "offensive behaviour". Mr Yousaf is a Minister in the SNP Government, who supported the legislation. From that perspective it's irrelevant what team he supports.

The RST represent as football supporters, nothing more.

Despite the best attempts of the media to portray otherwise, our support does not all share one political view point, especially with regards to Scottish nationalism. I'm certain there'll be fans, probably even paid up members of the RST who voted Humza in.

Now, I don't really know how they'd defend him on this matter, but that's for them to decide and voice if they feel the need.

I'd be surprised if any Rangers fan - no matter their party of choice - disagreed with the Trust's letter.

The SNP will ignore or prevaricate on the issue. It will then be up to RST members and Rangers fans to take this on board when they vote in any forthcoming elections. Just as when Ruth Davidson and Humza both backed Spiers and Haggerty recently.

From the Home Office ...

PROSCRIBED TERRORIST ORGANISATIONS

What is a proscribed organisation?

A. Under the Terrorism Act 2000, the Home Secretary may proscribe an organisation if she believes it is concerned in terrorism and it is proportionate to do. For

the purposes of the Act, this means that the organisation:

- commits or participates in acts of terrorism;

- prepares for terrorism;

- promotes or encourages terrorism (including the unlawful glorification of terrorism); or

- is otherwise concerned in terrorism.

3 PROSCRIPTION OFFENCES

Proscription makes it a criminal offence to:

- belong, or profess to belong, to a proscribed organisation in the UK or overseas (section 11 of the Act);

- invite support for a proscribed organisation (and the support is not, or is not restricted to the provision of money or other property) (section 12(1));

- arrange, manage or assist in arranging or managing a meeting in the knowledge that the meeting is to support or further the activities of a proscribed organisation, or is to be

addressed by a person who belongs or professes to belong to a proscribed organisation (section 12(2)); or to address a meeting if the purpose of the address is to encourage

support for, or further the activities of, a proscribed organisation (section 12(3)); and

- wear clothing or carry or display articles in public in such a way or in such circumstances as arouse reasonable suspicion that an individual is a member or supporter of the proscribed organisation (section 13)

LIST OF PROSCRIBED GROUPS LINKED TO NORTHERN IRELAND RELATED TERRORISM

Continuity Army Council

Cumann na mBan

Fianna na hEireann

Irish National Liberation Army

Irish People's Liberation Organisation

Irish Republican Army

Loyalist Volunteer Force

Orange Volunteers

Red Hand Commando

Red Hand Defenders

Saor Eire

Ulster Defence Association

Ulster Freedom Fighters

Ulster Volunteer Force

30 October 2015

Note: list of proscribed organisations remains as at 27 March 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/472956/Proscription-update-20151030.pdf

I would not question the RST why they get involved, but rather why no-one else gets actively involved, especially politicians, the police and the like, whose DUTY it is.

Edited by der Berliner

You are missing my point.

The complaint is rightly directed at the SNP for holding an event in a "Celtic" pub which has been associated with "offensive behaviour". Mr Yousaf is a Minister in the SNP Government, who supported the legislation. From that perspective it's irrelevant what team he supports.

OK, let's agree it's superfluous to the formal point being made. However, for those members and Rangers fans interested in the issue and not aware of Humza's background it's well worth pointing out anecdotally and certainly doesn't detract from the overall point.

There's also the argument that Humza chose/helped choose the venue because of his support of this club. That's a relevance worth considering.

I do not agree with mixing football with politics but Mr Yousaf was a major proponent of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act

http://www.glasgowsnp.org/MSPs/Humza_Yousaf_MSP/Committee_backs_Offensive_Behaviour_Bill/ etc

so the decision to hold any event in this particular pub was at best ill-advised and at worst a major own goal for the SNP in general and Mr Yousaf in particular.

However, referring to him as Celtic fan was crass and irrelevant. If you are trying to make a political point then surely it would much better to refer to him by his title, Minister for Europe and International Development.

Maybe you could ask David Low for some advice.

The writer should have written it in his own name and not as a representative of a Rangers supporters group. When the Rangers fans were attacked was time for the RST to speak up. Did They? I am not a member of the RST so have no say on what they do but I don't see that this is their business to be honest.

I'm a long standing member of the RST Pete. But you won't find me defending many of their actions. The time to be pro-active was many years ago when the attacks on our club and support started.

Maybe some Briton writes to the Home Office and its Secretary and asked directly why SNP members et al attend such a place ... essentially acting against the HO's Act as given above. And why the Scottish Government et al is getting away with its open ignorance of the Act.