Ashley summonsed to appear before MP's.

Do you know how much leverage these committees actually have or how much weight they carry? Not an awful lot is the bottom line.

I won't disagree. However, Ratner lost a business through public perception of what he was doing. The "leisure suit" brigade in society may well continue to wander into his shops to buy clothes they can wear for a fortnight solid without washing but I doubt those who read the facts on how he treats his workforce will be buying their kids £100 trainers from there. His company is already sinking. These hearings will hasten his departure.

Do you honestly think for one minute he cares how he looks? Not a chance.

I think that he has to protect his share price. He can't do that by clamming up in front of a govt cttee; that would look like he was guilty

as charged, to everyone, lenders, shareholders, banks, finance houses, funds, the City generally, the media, the population at large.....

I think that he has to protect his share price. He can't do that by clamming up in front of a govt cttee; that would look like he was guilty

as charged, to everyone, lenders, shareholders, banks, finance houses, funds, the City generally, the media, the population at large.....

The section of society that fills Ashley's coffers by shopping at SD don't give a flying feck about a government accounts committee. If Ashley turned up at the committee in a pair of speedos and a twirly bow tie, the same people would still buy his stuff. Why? Because they are skint and its affordable, and most of them would relate to the fat robber before they would relate to the 'toffs' on the committee..

Edited by Anchorman

The section of society that fills Ashley's coffers by shopping at SD don't give a flying feck about a government accounts committee. If Ashley turned up at the committee in a pair of speedos and a twirly bow tie, the same people would still buy his stuff. Why? Because they are skint and its affordable, and most of them would relate to the fat robber before they would relate to the 'toffs' on the committee..

I do not think that an inquisition by a Commons Cttee will put SD out of business, nor do I think that to be the purpose of its activities. I do think that the Cttee members will not be showboating, and and that there will be bad publicity for Gessler, personally, and for SD. I think that his bottom line will be affected. (Not merely by the Cttee's enquiries, but they will reinforce recent and continuing media reports/investigations, notably by The Guardian). Bear in mind that business friends are fair weather friends.

So he is commercially, and personally, under pressure. The least that will emerge over the next few months is that his workforce may see a positive change in contracts, and conditions, even in their wages.

I do take your point that financial necessity drives people to shop at SD, and that no matter what emerges from media and parliamentary investigations, its customer base may not be hugely eroded.

People seem to overrate Ashley to the point of being overawed (Big Mike's tanks, anyone?). I put this down to watching too many episodes of "The Apprentice".

No doubt IMO he'll be trying to sell SD if he's got any sense.

It's been a disaster on the stock market with its value halfing when shares went from around £8 now down to around £4.

Problem is who would take it & what they'd do with it?

Another reason maybe the Rangers board trying to get as far away from SD as possible

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley will go before MPs

Sports Direct boss Mike Ashley says he will now go before MPs to defend the firm's "good name".

Mr Ashley has agreed to appear before the business, innovation and skills select committee (BIS) on Tuesday to answer questions on working conditions.

He has been refusing to appear before the committee since March.

Mr Ashley changed his mind last month and said he would answer questions if MPs visited the firm's Shirebrook warehouse in Derbyshire.

However, last week he changed his position again, stating he would not attend because his lawyer Richard Gordon QC, was unavailable.

Sports Direct has been criticised for working conditions at the warehouse, including employing staff on zero-hour contracts.

In a letter to Iain Wright, chairman of the BIS committee, Mr Ashley takes issue with the MP's suggestion last week that he had "something to hide". He writes: "I can assure you that nothing is further from the truth."

Failure to appear in front of MPs meant Mr Ashley risked being found in contempt of Parliament.

In letter, Mr Ashley writes: "After much reflection over the last 48 hours, I have concluded that a lengthy legal battle would be of no benefit to either of us.

"It would no doubt lead to further unwarranted accusations that I am being secretive, whereas in fact I have been open and honest at every stage of this process."

Mr Ashley added that he would now appear "in order to defend the good name of Sports Direct on behalf of all the great people who work here".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36456245

Ashley appears to be all over the place.

His expensive legal panzer division either aren't as good as they should be or they are occasionally being ignored.

SD shareholders would be well advised to push harder to be rid of Mr MASH from their boardroom.

I propose that Justice Peter Smith be allowed to sit on the committee this coming Tuesday morning. ;)