Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell

Good points coop but do you really believe that after all we have been through, the wasted years in the wilderness and the current regime only being on board for 14 months that we are entitled to demand 1rstplace in SPL in our first season back?

I want us to win the SPL, I believe we have the players and management team to win the SPL but we need to support them, there will be trials and tribulations along the way - cool heads required.

We won't all agree Cammy but yes mate, I believe we should be challenging to win the title. I also believe we have the squad and talent, we are lacking a bit of belief in the team that I hope strengthening the defence will provide. We are one of the two biggest clubs in Scotland, accepting second best is, for me, never acceptable.

If we were one of the biggest clubs in any other country I would expect their fans to ask for trophys and titles too.

I'm not saying we will alway achieve it and if we do not manage it I would have to be a fool to not understand why, and what we have been through. I will dust myself down as will everyone else and imo we would go again and I would still expect to be adding to our list of honours.

Edited by cooponthewing

Im pretty sure MW is looking high and low for an available centre half but its not the easiest position to fill when we don't have a blank cheque and are up against English top and second division teams looking for the same position. MW has always said he wont add just for the sake of it.

I think Senderos will join and the sooner the better.

Edited by Gribz

I don't blame anyone for being frustrated but lets apply at least a modicum of balance to our posts.

In my opinion, there are a few reasons why we're not quite playing as well as we can so far:

1. The number of new players

2. The subtle changes to the system

3. The improvement in opposition

1 and 2

Obviously, we've made a large number of changes to the squad and whilst not every player has made the first XI yet, those that have are primarily in central midfield which is clearly an important part of the team. Halliday has been moved forward and I'd suggest because of Rossiter's excellent contribution, Barton is also being used further forward than we (or the manager) initially expected. And, on Saturday at least, it didn't work. However, I can't blame the manager for selecting them as last Saturday, at Dundee, it did work.

Of the main reasons for this working (or indeed not working) is the quality of opposition and also, in my view, the venue. When away to teams (or perhaps in one-off cup matches) there will be a bit more space for us to operate in as the opposition will be more attacking (even if only a smidgeon). This means our creative players can influence the game and we tend to dominate more as a result.

However, I'd say in our home matches the opposition will sit much deeper. Hamilton did the other week and Motherwell did on Saturday. However, the difference from a St Mirren or a QotS or an Alloa doing this is light and day from last season. Premiership teams are better organised, the players are of higher quality, they are fitter and they are a yard quicker as well. As such, no matter if we dominate the ball or not, we're not going to win 4 or 5 nil. Games will be tighter and, as we've seen against Accies and 'Well, these teams will break more effectively and can cause us issues too. Indeed, I'd contend we're struggling to adapt to this increase in strength and pace so far and that's been our biggest issue.

The conundrum is, do we play tight ourselves with a three of Barton, Rossiter and Halliday or do we sacrifice one of those for a Kranjcar, Holt, Windass or Forrester? 9 times out of 10, I'd say we'd play the attacking player but Kranjcar didn't work against Hamilton, Holt/Windass are injured and Forrester was used on the right instead of the mercurial MOH. I'd suggest that was the manager's main selection error on Saturday and perhaps caused us issues creatively - especially with McKay and Wallace struggling to find form. Moreover, Forrester - in the first half at least - didn't play wide enough and always wanted to stay central, increasing congestion instead of alleviating it.

All in all, we have no divine right to win football matches though and we certainly have no divine right not to concede goals and/or score a barrow-load either. We can only beat those that face us on the park and, the single best part of the last two games for me, is that we have won despite some tough questions being asked. On Saturday we did concede another poor goal but, as per the Hamilton game, there was an element of bad luck in involved as another deflected cross attempt when straight to an opposition player. Those calling for Hill may recall the same happened two weeks ago. Fortunately, we got the same break at both our goals so such is life.

Take a step back and examine the wider picture. We're unbeaten, we're top of the league and we're slowly, but surely, improving the squad. The manager is just as aware as us of our weaknesses and he's trying to address them. And you can be sure the players won't be happy with aspects of their contribution either.

Finally, as much as criticism of the team is valid we have to show some patience as well. The booing of the team at half-time on Saturday and the desperation of some fans to get on the players' backs during games - particularly at Ibrox - is very poor form and extremely unhelpful. Seeing thousands leave ahead of the winner also disappointed me. We rightly demand commitment from our players but, quick, let's get down the road to avoid subway or traffic queues? Bizarre doesn't begin to describe it. Perhaps spoilt is more accurate?

I think it is more to do with players out of form rather than the number of new players, only two new players started the game on Saturday.

There is no change to our system, only the players playing it. Warburton will never change his system, so we are told, we can only play it well or play it badly. Since April 10 we have been playing it badly.

I dont for one minute believe that Hamilton, Dundee & Motherwell are much, if any, better than Raith, Falkirk, QotS, or Hibs. Last seasons cup results around the country back that up.

I think it is more to do with players out of form rather than the number of new players, only two new players started the game on Saturday.

There is no change to our system, only the players playing it. Warburton will never change his system, so we are told, we can only play it well or play it badly. Since April 10 we have been playing it badly.

I dont for one minute believe that Hamilton, Dundee & Motherwell are much, if any, better than Raith, Falkirk, QotS, or Hibs. Last seasons cup results around the country back that up.

As I said, cup games can be very different though as they're usually more open. And, because of those cup games, we see opposition teams sit so deeply now - at Ibrox in particular.

It might just be me but Hamilton, Dundee and 'Well are all much better teams than those we faced last year - perhaps Hibs aside who were one of the few teams able to sit deep, pack the midfield and counter effectively against us.

The system hasn't changed per se but the players in it and how they're deployed have. The formation and system is effectivelyt the same but the creative aspect has been reduced. IMO, Halliday, Rossiter and Barton are all fine as defensive midfielders but none are suitable further forward. That's why play kept breaking down in the final third in the first half.

The conundrum is, at Ibrox especially, do we effectively match the opposition's five players in midfield in these games or do we forego one of the above. I say we will do that when one of Holt, Windass, Crooks and Kranjcar is fully fit. Not to mention Forrester who will be better centrally with Waghorn on the right and Garner up front.

You are right to say our form has been poor (or perhaps inconsistent) for a while now. Winning the league so early and a new season will ensure that. McKay has had next to no summer break so I was surprised he was used so much in the League Cup games. It's less of a surprise to see him a bit jaded now - however, at the same time, on Saturday he was up against three players so was never really in space to do the business. When the game opened up a bit more after half-time he was a bit better but was breathing out his arse by then. His biggest criticism in the first half was that he didn't use the ball quickly enough so we could take advantage of the excess marking on him. But then no-one was making the runs for him to do this.

Like I say, I don't have an issue with constructive criticism but gratuitous insults and a lack of balance isn't really helpful.

Edited by Frankie