Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell

Well since barely two to three thousand of the Motherwell contingent turned out for their own home match against us in the league cup I think we can be confident the sell out has nothing to do with them. They're likely to be as scarce as cups in the hibz trophy room.

Motherwell have their own preview of the game tomorrow and have been infected with the BBC bug ...

Scrote:

Hosts Well passed up a host of chances in an entertaining match.

Motherwell:

The two sides met earlier this season, as the Glaswegians left Fir Park with all three points in Group F of the Betfred Cup.

But in truth, it could have gone either way, with the Fir Parkers carving out a stack of chances and ultimately being undone by two wonder-strikes.

Stats Motherwell vs Rangers (BBC, mind you) say:

Possession: 34 - 66

Shots: 13 - 20

On target: 3 - 7

Corners: 3 - 6

Dunno what constitutes "hosts" and "stacks" these days, but 3 seems not a lot.

Of course, we looked somewhat fragile in the first ten minutes or so, but our defence (in their first meaningful game) did their job (if barely) and the rest is history. Being "nearly winners" is a Scottish speciality, but here I would say that we could just as well have buried Well a lot deeper that day.

Edited by der Berliner

In my hazy memory it must be said that Motherwell had 2 or 3 very, very good chances early doors in that game - and had they score with 1 or 2 of them then they are quite right, the game COULD have gone either way.

However, if you don't take your chances then you are liable to losing a goal or goals, which they did - and we ultimately ran out comfortable winners, were denied a stonewall penalty and should have been playing against 10 men for the last 12 minutes or so.

I was just thinking about Wilson,I've not been impressed with him since his return and my thoughts are this season is huge for him,he really has to step up another level,is he capable?,I'm not sure but if he doesn't make his mark this season then I don't think he ever will. He has the ability but his concentration levels are poor,make or break for him this season IMO.

In my hazy memory it must be said that Motherwell had 2 or 3 very, very good chances early doors in that game - and had they score with 1 or 2 of them then they are quite right, the game COULD have gone either way.

However, if you don't take your chances then you are liable to losing a goal or goals, which they did - and we ultimately ran out comfortable winners, were denied a stonewall penalty and should have been playing against 10 men for the last 12 minutes or so.

My memory of it is a shade hazy too but from what I can recall I don't think their early breakaways were quite as threatening as the Motherwell mob would like to think. An example of it would be the usual thing.

The full backs were way forward around the final quarter when the ball was lost to their fast runner Johnson who went on a sprint which although impressive looking because he must have run 50 yards with nothing to stop him wasn't really that threatening in the end up.

Sure he ran fast but it was so fast he had left any support he might have had behind him and our CB's though they may be questionable at times are still there and beginning to close him down so he shoots from over 20 yards out which is a difficult distance to beat any competent keeper from and it wasn't even on target.

That's the kind of thing they're pointing to as having been unlucky not to take the lead when in reality you have to do a lot more than just run 50 yards fast to get a goal and with hindsight he never looked like getting one.

Throw in all the much better chances that we fluffed and the stonewall penalty not given and the sending off of the goalie they got away with and they were barely in it. We're due to give someone a hiding and I hope it's them because they deserve it for their antics the last two times we played there and it would be something to shut up the yahoos who were frothing about them gubbing them 5-0 recently.