[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 59)

I wholly agree with you there, we are never equipped to win this League and people should step back, take an honest hard look and reappraise their expectations for the season. We have a divine right to expect everyone is pulling their weight and working tireless to make the next jump, but no divine right to beat any team in this league. Our ambition this season should be top 5 and anything more, is a big bonus.

Fans have to be realistic and honest and question things if they feel we are struggling and continue to struggle if our signing and spending policy is one akin to a team with no cash and no backing to go change things. While I never advocate spend spend spend, I do believe in spending on some quality and attracting players with real pedigree, even slightly ageing, as long as its the quality we need to kick on.

I ask one question and I am pretty sure there will be the usual tirade of abuse, but like any other concerned fan, I need to know. What exactly is Dave King's player budget? To date, it looks pretty thin on the ground, and with nothing but fluffy statements, with no facts and figures, its all conjecture. We need to know what he is actually going to spend and why there is no other investment coming into the club....anyone care to have a stab at that one? I have my own opinions, but as in any other league you get what you pay for and investment must be found....our 'friends across the city' have a nice benefactor called UEFA who will give them £20m+ to ensure they are able to stay ahead....irrespective of what people say....actions speak louder than words and I see a damn sight more words than actions going on down Edmiston Drive way

GSTQ

An aside is that a on a Preston forum I looked at there were a number of them watching this match out of curiosity to see how Garner would fare. A general opinion from them was that the first half was dire and that Rangers were nothing like as dominant as they all expected. No argument from me there.

And in the second half when some pressure began to be applied only Tavernier for them looked a stand out on the pitch with some complimentary remarks about the Kilmarnock goalie. And lack of surprise from them when in their view Garner dived looking for a penalty.

Embarrassing dive by garner tonight

A lot of English people start watching with a preconceived view that Scottish football is crap and even if it looked different to that preconceived notion there are many who still want to maintain that view but not all.

One remark from a Preston fan starting off with a brief comment about the performance of Garner.

Impossible to judge on 75 minutes, but he'll do well in Scotland. The quality of football in the SPL is no where near as bad as some on this thread suggest. Tonights game was as good as any you'll see in The Championship. First half Rangers offered nothing but in the 2nd half they piled on the pressure and I expected them to win. Fair play to Killmarnock, held on well for a deserved point. Bloody good game to watch.
Edited by JFK-1

Another little aside regarding comments by Preston fans about the Kilmarnock match. One said this referring to Rangers.

I agree. They are just a team mostly with 30+ something players. If they can't score against a side with Steven Smith at left back and Lee Clark as manager they really are turd.

I felt obliged to offer a response to that which was the following.

The starting 11 had an average age of 25 which would have been 24 if not for Hill having to replace Wilson who was injured in the warm up.

Preston started the Ipswich match with an average age of 27 which included 4 players over 30.

We started the match with 3 over 30's who were Hill, Barton and Miller which would have been just 2 if not for Hill having to unexpectedly replace Wilson. Funny what equates to "mostly" in some peoples minds.

Another little aside regarding comments by Preston fans about the Kilmarnock match. One said this referring to Rangers.

I felt obliged to offer a response to that which was the following.

We started the match with 3 over 30's who were Hill, Barton and Miller which would have been just 2 if not for Hill having to unexpectedly replace Wilson. Funny what equates to "mostly" in some peoples minds.

in his defence we played like a team of 45 year olds

and his line about smith and clark is spot on.

i missed the good half of football

which half is he talking about?

the one where we managed to put 1 shot on target

or the one where we toiled to beat 10 men

2 of which were kris boyd and stevie smith.