Ally McCoist: I have no regrets over time as Rangers manager

McCoist said he was "unlucky" with the timing of his stint as boss but doesn't regret taking job.

Ally McCoist says he has "no regrets" over his time as Rangers manager and is enjoying watching the team progress under Mark Warburton.

McCoist was in charge at the Ibrox club during their financial collapse as well as the team's spell in the lower leagues, resigning in 2014 with the side sitting in second place in the Championship.

An iconic former player, he said that his long association with the club was something he valued, though he felt the timing of his stint as manager was unfortunate.

"I don't have regrets, no," he said. "I think circumstances would indicate that I was probably unlucky in the timing of the managerial job but listen, you can't have everything.

"I was very fortunate to play at the club I supported for 15 years, then be assistant manager and then be manager.

"I think it would be wrong of me to start complaining but if anything it was probably just the timing I was a little bit unlucky with.

"I'm delighted to have been there."

Rangers won promotion to the top flight and reached the Scottish Cup final last season under Mark Warburton but McCoist says there is no envy in looking on, insisting he is enjoying the team's progress as a fan.

"I don't look at that with pangs of regret, I look at it with 100% pleasure," he said. "The football club and the supporters deserve that and it's what's required.

"We didn't have it in our time but in many ways we probably could say we won the biggest fight and battle, that is to continue playing as a club and continue the unity of the club.

"I don't look at all with envy. The board who are looking after the club, if anything I look at that with absolute pleasure because I know what Rangers needs is a solid board, an intelligent board and a board that cares about the supporters."

Looking ahead to this weekend's league match between Celtic and Rangers, he pointed out that although the hosts were considered the stronger team, his former side had upset the odds recently.

"I'm really looking forward to it," he said. "I certainly enjoyed the last one, the cup semi-final.

"I thought that was a good advert for Scottish football and I don't see this one being any different.

"In many ways I think it's very similar. I think Celtic will go into the game strong favourites but they went into the last game strong favourites and didn't win so I'm really looking forward to it."

"Joey Barton is not an idiot"

One of the talking points ahead of Saturday's match has been Joey Barton's temperament and how the Englishman will perform following some high-profile comments about Celtic following his arrival this summer.

Asked how important it would be for players to keep their emotions in check, McCoist stressed the need to keep a level head.

"It's the one thing that hasn't changed over 100-odd years," he said. "It's important that you do keep your emotions in check, concentrate and keep the maximum amount of players on the park. It is easy to get carried away in the whole emotion of it.

"The one thing is that the supporters build up an atmosphere which can sometimes go over the top but I'm very hopeful about level-headed players who know what's expected of them and I hope they can perform and put on a good show for everybody."

Asked specifically about Barton, he said: "I don't [think he will struggle].

"Joey's news and he's given people plenty to talk about and some headlines, which is what we expected but the one thing Joey Barton is not is an idiot. Far from it.

"I think he knows what'll be expected from him.

"Everybody's talking about the personal battle between him and Scott Brown. They're both very good professionals and I've no doubt they'll have a healthy respect for each other and I just hope they go about their business in the right manner."

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1366272-ally-mccoist-i-have-no-regrets-over-time-as-rangers-manager/

Actually, Edith Piaf might have made a better fist of it...........

The Rangers News was always telling us that Ally was, 'some chanter' when karaoke beckoned.

Maybe Ally should seriously explore becoming a chanteur of chanson? A duet with the little sparrow is a must.