Hanging Effigies and Sectarian Banners

I'm not buying into this "Tims are IRA supporting scum" pish. There's a small minority of bams as we have a small minority of idiots who have forgot to turn their clocks forward 300 years.

Most Tims are decent people and will condemn the arseholes with effigies and IRA banners

I don't care if other fans forums would rant on if it was directed at their supporters. That's because most of those forum are populated by brain dead tossers

This place deserves a bit of perspective.......it's a small minority that did this........Gersnet is better than this

and all oppositions fans........including them, should be made to feel welcome at Ibrox

Condem them so much they forgot the criminality and hate crime going on in front of them to make a complaint???. There were 52.5k of them there and plod informs us not one complaint?? I disagree. Was it a small minority doing the Poznan on 66mns???

Edited by cooponthewing

Condem them so much they forgot the criminality and hate crime going on in front of them to make a complaint???. There were 52.5k of them there and plod informs us not one complaint?? I disagree. Was it a small minority doing the Poznan on 66mns???

To be fair, I am sure the vast majority had no idea of the significance of the 66 minutes and just went along. However that does not detract from the initiating action.

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14738133.Police_launch_probe_into_Parkhead_toilet_damage_and_hanging_effigies_at_Celtic_v_Rangers_Old_Firm_derby/

POLICE have launched an investigation into Saturday's Old Firm fixture after a toilet block at Celtic Park was vandalised and hanged effigies were suspended from a tier inside the stadium.

The scenes have been described as "hugely disappointing" by senior officers who previously reported that only one football fan had been arrested during the game in which Celtic defeated Rangers 5-1.

Evening Times:

But following the first league clash between the teams in four years, pictures emerged on social media of a toilet block that appeared to have been smashed to pieces by the travelling Rangers support.

Celtic supporters also came under fire for producing a banner which read "Hun Scum" and dangling two plastic effigies with hands tied behind their backs in the manner of an execution from the upper tier of the Jock Stein Stand.

The hanging blow up dolls adorned with Rangers scarves could be seen at the start of the live TV coverage of the match as the players took to the pitch.

Evening Times:

Rival fans have disputed the significance of the stunt with some suggesting it was making reference to Rangers FC liquidation in 2012, but others emphasised that it coincided with World Suicide Prevention Day.

Bernard Higgins, Assistant Chief Constable for Justice and Support, said: "The overwhelming majority of those who attended the Celtic v Rangers game behaved responsibly and appeared to heed the advice given in the run up to the fixture.

"What is hugely disappointing and frustrating is that a minority of individuals behaved in a manner which has no place in our communities, football and modern society and which has resulted in Police Scotland carrying out investigations to identify those responsible."

Evening Times:

A spokesman for Rangers FC described the effigies as a "disgraceful and sickening" act.

He said: "It was a vile and insensitive stunt which, understandably, has attracted widespread condemnation.

“This was a new low but there were other unacceptable images which were also deeply offensive to Rangers supporters."

It follows a call form Rangers supporters group Club 1872 to ban Celtic fans from Ibrox after what it described as "overtly sectarian" displays.

Evening Times:

A Celtic FC spokesman said the club would not become embroiled in a "tit for tat spat"/

"We will deal with all issues arising in a proper and professional manner in line with our well established policies," he said.

At the weekend a Police Scotland spokeswoman said no criminal complaint had been made about the toilet damage and the matter was currently being dealt with internally by Celtic.

But Police Scotland has now confirmed that an investigation will be launched into the vandalism.

So I thought this article was stating the obvious to what should happen - the police investigating. Until I read that last sentence. It would appear, according to the article, when it gets to the crux of the matter, it would only be the vandalism that is being investigated.

Edited by StuGers

I'm not buying into this "Tims are IRA supporting scum" pish. There's a small minority of bams as we have a small minority of idiots who have forgot to turn their clocks forward 300 years.

Most Tims are decent people and will condemn the arseholes with effigies and IRA banners

Our club try and eliminate sectarianism. Celtic condone it by consistently allowing pro-IRA and sectarian banners into their ground and failing to take action against those who do it. It has been happening season after season. They have even rewarded them by introducing a standing area.

As for the decent people in their support, I must have missed their condemnation each season. I don't recall it being mentioned at their AGMs or lots of letters being written into newspapers.

I also wonder how many of the decent people joined in with the "Go home, ya huns" chant on Saturday?

S

Our club try and eliminate sectarianism. Celtic condone it by consistently allowing pro-IRA and sectarian banners into their ground and failing to take action against those who do it. It has been happening season after season. They have even rewarded them by introducing a standing area.

As for the decent people in their support, I must have missed their condemnation each season. I don't recall it being mentioned at their AGMs or lots of letters being written into newspapers.

I also wonder how many of the decent people joined in with the "Go home, ya huns" chant on Saturday?

Decent people don't support a vile, hardline Irish Republican club like C@@@@c.

Edited by RANGERRAB

At some point the people excusing this will have to realise they are the main cause of it.

You can't persecute on side and expect improvement.

The press. The police. The government. They need to decide if they want a better society.

If they do then they better start rounding up the perpetrators of hatred against protestants.

I don't care if other fans forums would rant on if it was directed at their supporters. That's because most of those forum are populated by brain dead tossers

This place deserves a bit of perspective.......it's a small minority that did this........Gersnet is better than this

and all oppositions fans........including them, should be made to feel welcome at Ibrox

I would argue that after the bad years in the 1970s and 80s, with the conflict in Northern Ireland at its height, the whole Protestant vs Catholic stuff left both sets of supporters during the 1990s and early 2000s. It sure was there, but hardly on the same level as before, the "they breathe our oxygene" - folk not longer in the majority.

Whatever drove them to it though, a tangible minority across the Clyde started a sly and in the end successfull war against us. Heinous blackmailing at UEFA for songs they were hearing during matches that had no interest to them, FARE spies reprting us to UEFA who turned out to be Yahoos in disguise and the like were the start.

Up came UEFA with the half-baked ban on TBB and FTP, something gleefully greeted by the Scum and a media that slowly but steadily jumped on that bandwaggon. Enter the Whyte fiasco and by that time the sizeable minority had managed to warp its way into the Scottish media as well as politics, sending us through a wave of hate when admin happened by, blowing up a hysteria that saw not only us being thrown out of the SPL, but a year later the end of the SFL for not complying to the will of the mob. The SPL mob that is. And while that took place, the whole scenario had shifted in a way that a) created a new, West of Scotland definition of sectarian (i.e. only refering to Rangers songs, almost no matter which), whereas b) nigh anything the Scum did was left unpunished, the media essentially turning a blind eye.

That hysteria has taken so much root in various - and sadly rather important - strata of Scottish society and life that there are next to no impartial reporting and measures around. It starts with little things such as outright naming and shaming Rangers supporters who did wrong (no matter what), with the club's name splashed all over the article. If a Yahoo does the same and even get reported by police, more often than not the media speak about job football fans wearing hooped jerseys, while the sheriff decides that a "good Catholic like him" wouldn't reasonably call his fellow Yahoos "Fenian bastards". As happene djust last week. And it ends with our players getting attacked and we are being blamed for this in the same manner as the culprits. Or reports froma game where the Yahoos clearly chant banned songs and the match report doesn't arrive for two weeks. Where a club, its stewards and the police allows a massive show against not only UEFA guidelines, but their own house rules. And to top it off, they did it again this Saturday, with large banners and stuff that simply cannot get into the ground without being inspected - unless the Green Brigade polices themselves. The club condones this. And it also condones vile PIRA chanting against our players (yeah, that really made sense).

So yes, there might be decent Yahoos about, probaby many of them. But the vile lot that is about and does all these things is neither just a small gang of warped people, it does so because the club lets them do it and has been for years. The club cultivated this latest hate-wave and has so much influence in the Scottish media, that they did not dare to write about it for a couple of days. But lo and behold, the big bad Rangers animals smashed some toilets!

That ... is the problem we are debating and condemn.

“What were cops doing to crack down on halfwits”

By BILL LECKIE, Scottish Sun columnist

BLOW-UP dolls hung from the rafters with opposition scarves around their necks.

Offensive banners draped over balconies in flagrant disregard of public order laws.

Gangs of morons rampaging through stadium corridors, reducing toilet blocks to rubble in revenge for losing a football match.

If only there was some way for society to stop this kind of disgusting, sinister behaviour ruining what’s billed as a football match.

Maybe, off the top of my head, we could set up some sort of state-run “force” to “police” the crowds. Perhaps they could be assisted by civilians who would “steward” major events and help nip trouble in the bud.

They could be on duty at entrances to prevent spectators from coming in with said blow-up dolls and banners. They could be alive to 200 fans all going at once to a loo with a dozen urinals. Heavy-handed sarcasm? Perhaps. But maybe it wouldn’t be needed if there was a little more heavy-handed cracking down on the kind of halfwits who have piled yet more shame on the Old Firm.

If a six-year-old kiddie tries to take a can of Coke into a game, there’s yellow jackets round him in seconds to get it into a bin. The same wean will have the bamboo stick taken out of his flag at a Scotland game or a cup final.

Yet somehow, Celtic punters got into the most high-security match in years with half the Ann Summers catalogue under their arms — not to mention 50ft lengths of bedsheet printed with their vile messages to the away end.

How is this allowed? What happens to the dire pre-match warnings that anyone who steps out of line can expect the full fury of the law? Why bother with the Tannoy announcements that nastiness in any form will not be accepted?

It’s plainly all just mouth music because time and again clowns on both sides of this horrible, self-styled, barbed-wire-topped divide swan in and do whatever the bloody hell they like.

We’ve only just come off the back of the Scottish Cup final where the world looked on as cops and stewards waited until a pitch invasion grew to the brink of a full-scale riot before finally — and, it seemed, reluctantly — stepping in.

You would have thought after the stick they took then that they would have been double-focused on letting no one away with a damn thing at the first Old Firm league clash in four years.

Yet here we are, mired in the usual he-said-she-said fallout over which one’s worse than the other, with no one seeming to have noticed that the dolls only dangled and the banners only screamed their bile and the toilets were only destroyed because no one in uniform stopped it happening.

The vast majority of Celtic and Rangers fans are rightly disgusted and dismayed by the actions of the numbskulls who pile shame on their clubs — and, encouragingly, they have been quick to condemn those in their own colours who stepped out of line.

But they are also entitled to ask exactly what their council tax money is being spent on when police react to situations as troubling as these two days late.

Over to you, Chief Constable.