Hanging Effigies and Sectarian Banners

BTW - and sadly enough, the last game is over now - but we may let our players know (not least Andy Halliday) that should Hun scum banners and hanged dolls are there again, the players / club captain should stop the game and draw the attention of the referee to this. It is no different than thrown bananas and more severe than some smoke bombs.

May sound patheric at first, but do keep in mind the mhedia non-reaction and fact-twisting that went on from Saturday onwards. And now imagine if the game is stopped, in front of a world-wide audience, and players pointing to sectarian and shameful banners and hanged dolls. No hiding there ...

In this current climate of anti-rangers our MSM and commentators may gloss over these uncomfortable realities however out with our shores it hasn't gone unnoticed DB. Just this morning the Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo published an article about one of the many distasteful displays during Saturdays match, in both the online and print version. Its a noteworthy article as the Spanish press generally have a fondness for that club and their fans. However they found the hanging dolls in particular distasteful saying there are no words to explain this particular action regardless of what Lawell or the fans say. The articles headline points to the general thrust of the piece and goes on to say that the fans and club have lost their mystique and charm. Basically the article is calling it a shameful embarrassment. I've linked the original article and a roughly translated page.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/champions-league/20160913/41267853470/la-ultima-verguenza-del-celtic-de-glasgow.html

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/champions-league/20160913/41267853470/la-ultima-verguenza-del-celtic-de-glasgow.html&prev=search

Here's another one ...

From Spain: Celtic reputation damaged after Rangers match, ‘shame’ on fans, lost ‘mystique and charm’

By Sport Witness Team -

13th September 2016

http://sportwitness.co.uk/spain-celtics-reputation-damaged-rangers-match-shame-fans/

Well, if you read that and compare it to the Catalan paper's words, it does have a "defusive" tone all along. Not least with this "many home fans were disgusted" stuff. They certainly did not look like that.

Well, if you read that and compare it to the Catalan paper's words, it does have a "defusive" tone all along. Not least with this "many home fans were disgusted" stuff. They certainly did not look like that.

It wasn't so much for its scathing content, it was posted to highlight that their actions actually are getting a wider audience this time.

Don't normally join forums but I'm so disgusted by this. I have forwarded images to Spanish half family and Ecuadorians. They are shocked. My Ecuadorian pal loves football and finds this beyond the pale. If you have friends abroad then I suggest you let them know what (some/many) Celtic fans really feel and the hatred they have and the depths they are prepared to go to in order t satisfy their bigotry. On the positive my pal in Ecuador wants a rangers jersey (don't know how to explain the ashley thing). But trust me you don't need to rely on MSM. Just send these images to your friends wherever they are. It will get round.

Don't normally join forums but I'm so disgusted by this. I have forwarded images to Spanish half family and Ecuadorians. They are shocked. My Ecuadorian pal loves football and finds this beyond the pale. If you have friends abroad then I suggest you let them know what (some/many) Celtic fans really feel and the hatred they have and the depths they are prepared to go to in order t satisfy their bigotry. On the positive my pal in Ecuador wants a rangers jersey (don't know how to explain the ashley thing). But trust me you don't need to rely on MSM. Just send these images to your friends wherever they are. It will get round.

Welcome mate I hope you stay on and I agree we should be spreading this round. The Celtic support have shot themselves in the foot with this one. Even the media have realised they can't keep quiet on this one. It is just unfortunate that toilet was wrecked otherwise the spotlight would have been totally on them..

There's potentially some mileage in the ignoring the media strategy. Given the size of our support, it surely wouldn't be difficult to get some form of image of this to go viral on social media. Twitter, facebook, instagram... Get it out there and make it seen?