[FT] Rangers 5 (Holt 33; Halliday 62; Waghorn 63, 71, 83) - 0 Queen of the South

Turned into a good evening and a well deserved, morale-booting result.

First 30mins were too pedestrian but the opening goal allowed us to settle down. After half-time the injury to Holt, along with Queens pushing further forward, caused us one or two problems for the first 10mins or so but the second goal again came up the right time and after that the players relaxed and took advantage of the space left by Queens.

I was impressed by the whole defence again and was pleased for the likes of Kranjcar and Forrester who despite a few poor passes, settled down into good games. Same with MOH and Waghorn. Was also particularly pleasing to see McKay look a bit sharper and taking his man on at pace.

All in all, a good night but still lots of work to do ahead of Sunday!

Only negative for me was the appalling BT coverage. OK, Forrester could have had a red card (if the ref had the benefit of countless super-slo replays from different angles) but it wasn't game-changing.

Elidh Barbour's repeated pre-match attempts to trip up Josh Windass with respect to Barton were a joke as well. Embarrassing.

I don't think Kranjcar can play No.8 because he doesn't have the fitness, stamina or mobility anymore. He is at his best when he doesn't have to run, when he reacts instinctively. His range and accuracy of passing is sublime at times. He could/should play a holding role, a la Pirlo. Maybe not in the bigger games, but whenever we're sure to dominate, having him sit deep and allow him to ping passes every which way would be so much more beneficial than forcing him into a No.8 position.

The first 30 minutes were dull, but after they had to open up we found more space and broke a bit quicker to great affect.

The BT guys did go on a bit, but I felt it was a red card. Going to Howard Webb is nothing new -- it's happened a few times.

Stewart in particular annoys me when he makes suggestions on what we should be doing. It generally revolves around how he played the game, with long balls. We don't play that way. I really don't think they know what we must do to play better. Sutton's a bit better in the sense he doesn't presume to know what we should be doing. He only makes little suggestions like heading back across goal: a simple thing from his experience and is quite correct. Sutton is forceful in his opinions, but I tend to agree with him. (I'm really worried for my health!) The main commentator (Rae?) does annoy me with his 'Rangers Bad' narrative, though; he seems quite keen to keep pressing that narrative.

Edited by Rousseau

I think Rae is excellent. I grew up listening to him on the wireless and I reckon he's as balanced and as neutral as you can get. I also certainly think he tries to keep the negativity of Sutton and Stewart in check.

I don't always mind those two - nothing wrong with strong opinions - but it just seems forced and, last night anyway, OTT and lacking balance.