Time to right a few wrongs - Rangers v Celtic

Not that I would wish to paper over any cracks, but while we absolutely deserved to get beat that day, that could easily have been a single goal defeat.

My one criticism of Warburton, who I am a big fan of, is that he has now had a fair bit of time to sort out our glaring issues in defence without any sign of improvement. In 25 years of following Rangers, I can't remember such a sustained period of shipping goals.

Thankfully that is also Celtic's weakness. 12 goals shipped in three CL fixtures. Unfortunately Celtic v Rangers in 2016 equates to Celtic v Hibs/Dundee/Motherwell in 2006.

I don't see us getting a doing like last time. In fact I think we can win it. But I'd be lying if I said I was brimming with confidence. How can you be with that defence?

Windass and Miller must start.

I'd be somewhat disappointed if MW chooses Foderingham and either Wallace or Tavernier over Gilks and Hodson respectively, as they have played in the cup games leading up to this semif-final.

I would normally agree, and concede that it is a tough one as these players, if dropped, will believe that the manager doesn't trust them in the big games.

However, to counter that, this game has the potential to be a marker for the season. Should we beat them, with them off the back of a CL defeat where they expected to win by a number of goals, it could give us the confidence needed to go on a run and, simultaneously, deflate them for a few games which allows us to get back within touching distance in the league. Mind games come into football too.

Tough decision for the manager.... but I will NEVER accept a defeat against Celtic as being OK because we fielded a less than full-strength side. I personally would field my strongest team against Celtic every single time, with the one caveat being that I would consider playing a youngster if ready but only when amongst seasoned pros that can help them through the cauldron that is an OF game.....

It has to be our strongest side that starts, no matter if MW has been giving game time to fringe players in the earlier rounds. This is an OF game, not just any old game, and after capitulating last time round, there is no way we can go into this with anything other than the team that gives us the best chance of winning, whatever that is!

The only time to play anything other than your strongest side in an OF game is when we already have the league won and have a dead rubber match to play against them at the end of a season.

I don't see the manager starting any regular second choices in this simply because they played in earlier rounds against lower league opposition. Consider the barracking he would be in for if that backfired and another heavy defeat ensued. Yes it's all about a squad but when taking everything including recent events into consideration this really could be a key match beyond the fact of it being a semi final and a chance to reach the final of a national cup competition.

I would normally agree, and concede that it is a tough one as these players, if dropped, will believe that the manager doesn't trust them in the big games.

However, to counter that, this game has the potential to be a marker for the season. Should we beat them, with them off the back of a CL defeat where they expected to win by a number of goals, it could give us the confidence needed to go on a run and, simultaneously, deflate them for a few games which allows us to get back within touching distance in the league. Mind games come into football too.

Tough decision for the manager.... but I will NEVER accept a defeat against Celtic as being OK because we fielded a less than full-strength side. I personally would field my strongest team against Celtic every single time, with the one caveat being that I would consider playing a youngster if ready but only when amongst seasoned pros that can help them through the cauldron that is an OF game.....

Gilks didn't look any worse than Foderingham thus far this season, while Hodson, despite hardly featuring for us this season, played rather well against top class opposition for Northern Ireland in Germany not too long ago. So it is not exactly about worsening our team by playing them.

I'd have more reservations if we'd field the same front line that we picked against Thistle and ICT. Neither McKay nor Waghorn have been convincing ... compared to their own standards. Then again, Tav's shooting has been wayward as well ... in the rare occasions that he actually tries a shot. Which is, at this moment in time, more an observation than anything else.

You make your own luck as they say, but the same as any other game we play that mob - the referee will have a huge say in how things pan out.

The obsessives will moan whatever the result simply because that's what they do. I just hope we have no cause to complain.

Last match I thought up to a point in the match we were unlucky, but with our usual defensive faults on display. The fact they ended up with a convincing scoreline doesn't scare me in the slightest. It's happened before and was turned around next fixture.

I'd re-arrange the defence and set Tavernier loose on them.